Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 03:20 PM

827 posts, read 1,676,792 times

Advertisements

I dunno I liked it. Better then all these dancing/talent shows and survivor type game shows anyday. [I watch TV to be entertained not listen to a bunch of little children squabble, make snide remarks, and stab everyone in the back]
YES It would have been nice to seen the invasion BUT that would have taken too much time. A child's story telling about it is good enough, sort of a first hand experience.

BUT since I DID like it, it will more then likely be cancelled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 06:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,451,500 times
I found it a bit confusing, like turning on a show in the middle. Maybe it will get better. I will give it a few more weeks.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:37 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,616,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
I dunno I liked it. Better then all these dancing/talent shows and survivor type game shows anyday. [I watch TV to be entertained not listen to a bunch of little children squabble, make snide remarks, and stab everyone in the back]
YES It would have been nice to seen the invasion BUT that would have taken too much time. A child's story telling about it is good enough, sort of a first hand experience.

BUT since I DID like it, it will more then likely be cancelled
There were things I thought were weak, but I didn't think it was that bad. I was prepared to criticize it, oddly enough, but I feel like defending it as the response here was more negative than what I expected.

Also I think skipping over the invasion was actually kind of neat in a way. We've seen "humans fight to stop an alien invasion" so many times now that it might be hard to do anything new with it. Starting with "It happened, we basically lost, now we're trying to undo the damage" is at least doing something a bit different.

Although they still tend to make alien invaders weird insect or lizard things. I don't know how to do it without becoming comical, but it might be interesting to have alien invaders that are more bird or mammal like. Maybe Giant Owl-like creatures with arms or multi-armed red-eyed wolverines would be scary and different rather than comical.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:35 PM

288 posts, read 717,984 times
I thought the first episode was pretty good. I like the actors in it. The show has some realism to it. I can imagine former military taking leadership roles in communities to pull everyone together and lead us to salvation, and victory.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:10 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,320,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
There were things I thought were weak, but I didn't think it was that bad. I was prepared to criticize it, oddly enough, but I feel like defending it as the response here was more negative than what I expected.

Also I think skipping over the invasion was actually kind of neat in a way. We've seen "humans fight to stop an alien invasion" so many times now that it might be hard to do anything new with it. Starting with "It happened, we basically lost, now we're trying to undo the damage" is at least doing something a bit different.

Although they still tend to make alien invaders weird insect or lizard things. I don't know how to do it without becoming comical, but it might be interesting to have alien invaders that are more bird or mammal like. Maybe Giant Owl-like creatures with arms or multi-armed red-eyed wolverines would be scary and different rather than comical.
I haven't seen it yet since I don't get tnt (may have to figure out my itunes login) but part of it is the idea its past the actual invasion. Whats really interesting is once the main excitement is done, what then? Now life is completely different than it was and tomorrow is a big question mark and as individuals and communities, how do people act?

Indepenence Day is a story with lots of battles to get excited about. The movie about the next day when people wake up and see yeah they won but they've got a world to rebuild (after they find something to eat and somewhere out of the rain) is going to be an entirely different story with entirely different dynamics.

Stories of occupation and resistance can be about two things. One can be the takeover. Its got more flash to it (in terms of story, as well as shock value) but the aftermath, you just lost, and now what? is a much more human story. I actually really liked the new V, but am very dissapointed that it didn't get to the nitty gritty with the velvet chains gone and reality settling in. That would be even more interesing.

The most recent movie of War of the Worlds largely features the second half of the book, the world of the red weed and the struggle to survive post alien victrory. I counsider it the most faithful to the book since that was really what the story was about, just what WILL people do to survive. You stop it in the middle and you walked out after the first act of the play.

I think the post apoc tales are something of an acquired taste and I hope that TNT lets this finish. Most people like to see the big battles and cities burning but the real drama of living through it is "dull" to them. Or maybe just a bit too scary to think about.

The clips I saw of this show make me really really want to see it. Would be nice if there was *something* on besides reruns of old tv shows which I currently mostly watch.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:27 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,847,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I haven't seen it yet since I don't get tnt (may have to figure out my itunes login) ..

The clips I saw of this show make me really really want to see it. Would be nice if there was *something* on besides reruns of old tv shows which I currently mostly watch.
You can always watch it here:
Watch Online Falling Skies Season 1 Episode 1 - Live and Learn - Watch Series

(Suggest you use Firefox)

Old 06-27-2011, 08:24 AM

42,029 posts, read 75,457,778 times
I liked it; I thought it was very realistic as far as how people will react, organize and fight back -- and fight with each other, because you know it would happen -- in a post-apocalyptic world. The acting was, for the most part, spot-on, although some was so far over the top I thought I was watching They Live there for a moment. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
Better then all these dancing/talent shows and survivor type game shows anyday.
For that reason alone, this show is worth watching.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:30 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,709,284 times
I liked it. I didnt realize Steven Speilberg was behind it. It did have the same feeling as The Stand. I dont think it will be a great tv show but it will be good enough for me to continue to watch.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:25 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,326,149 times
Worst show ever... why would anyone "hide out" in an open field? It is so boring but I still have to watch it cuz the hubby wants to see if it turns interesting.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:08 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,847,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Worst show ever... why would anyone "hide out" in an open field?
Well .. They are "Hiding In Plain Site"!

HEY .. Isn't there a show that goes by that or something similar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV