Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 01:50 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,305,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Where the hellz are the babies? No babies, toddlers, kids under 8 or so at all? No people doing it, getting pregnant?

Well, look at Tom and the doc. If they are any indication, people are just flirting with each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 01:54 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,361,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Where the hellz are the babies? No babies, toddlers, kids under 8 or so at all? No people doing it, getting pregnant?
There probably are much fewer left than older kids and adults. This is maybe a year after the invasion and the wiping out of a significant amout of humanity. People would still be in shock and pure survival mode. Babies are a vulnerability. Many probably didn't make it and others might not have been willing to care for them. The kids you see are mobile, and able to follow. There have been studies on fertility which show under extreme conditions that it falls dramatically as well, especially lack of food. I'm sure when and where they can, people do enjoy each other in such circumstances but pregnancies are much less common.

Food would be a major componant. Mothers without enough for themselves would have difficulty feeding babies, which would weaken them considerably. Toddlers on a migration would have to be carried and watched and are still more prone to disease, and like when they dissapeared in the western migration, most would not be findable. When they reach a point where there is enough food and security (imposed or of their choice) the births would pick up but there would be a gap in ages as keeping alive those around would be of greater value during the time of most danger, hunger and stress.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnTraveler View Post
I see what you are saying. It makes you wonder what true progress is. Everyone wants the world's problems "fixed" but once you do it brings more problems.
Childhood's End, by Arthur C Clarke

Old 07-08-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
The red eyed skitter seems a bit more crafty then the rest, but I'm not ready to believe he is helping them- just maybe gathering more intel before they make some bigger move.

The lady in the biplane seems a bit too far fetched and looks to me like just a big set up to lure one large group of humans into an ambush. Which, of course, goes against logic because all she would need to do is let them know where to hit them now that she know their position. But then, the aliens should be able to do that anyway, so there's still lots of logic issue with the show, but at least it is more fun to watch.
Redeye seems to have his own agenda, and followers. I wonder how this works out. I suspect what he said to Tom is absolutely true, though.

I wonder what Tom will do in the end.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:59 PM

288 posts, read 718,734 times
I knew it! The skitters are rebelling. However, it sounds completely vague how the skitters are going to help since they said they were enslaved for 100 years. Based on the battle that took place it appears they have access to "Overlord" weapons.

Hopefully this story moves along. I would like to see the ships they arrived in and if they are lingering in orbit.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
I knew it! The skitters are rebelling. However, it sounds completely vague how the skitters are going to help since they said they were enslaved for 100 years. Based on the battle that took place it appears they have access to "Overlord" weapons.

Hopefully this story moves along. I would like to see the ships they arrived in and if they are lingering in orbit.
This puts a real world spin on the idea of those who are not your enemies are your friends. Considering how few human are left, its a nice idea to dream they can win, but the odds are vastly stacked against them. If Redeye and his own could update their arsonal, then its more than a dream.

I suspect the skitters have some who can resist the harness, but they suspect even if they don't immediately succeed, humans have greater capacity. I wonder what Tom has or will remember of his ordeal and if he'll figure out its not a ruse, since it sounds like its their only real chance.

Ben is going to matter, I'm certain, as he belongs to both.

Haven't watched the preview of next week yet, but I'm guessing it has some teases.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:38 AM

288 posts, read 718,734 times
Now that I think of it the situation for the humans is pretty grim. They need some sort of miracle if they are going to turn things around. They appear to not know much at all about the Overlords.

I keep thinking some day another race of good aliens will come to the rescue! That would be cool.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Now that I think of it the situation for the humans is pretty grim. They need some sort of miracle if they are going to turn things around. They appear to not know much at all about the Overlords.

I keep thinking some day another race of good aliens will come to the rescue! That would be cool.
If you think about it, natural selection on a massive scale has been going on. Aside from the ones under the neutron bombs, the ones who ran decided to. They could have decided to just hole up somewhere until they died or were harnessed. The ones roaming the countryside are a select few who can cut through the panic and fear and hopelessness which paralized the others. They die, they die, but they won't go quietly.

It already played out on the skitters home planet. Redeye lives during the second stage of hiding in plain sight. All that was said about how he did as he was supposed to do, so he would be trusted is what would be. He has to look at loftier goals than the immediate like the humans see. All the rest of those released died. Tom didn't. Redeye had to have had something to do with that. Tom perhaps doesn't want yet to see that it wasn't a 'release', but an execution and he lucked out. Or was helped out.

Redeye sees the potential, giving both of them hope. I think Tom will too. I wonder if Ben isn't going to leave for awhile to help them both.

I love the complexity of how your enemy is hard to tell from your friend. Finally saw the preview and Karen returns. But she isn't, its suggested, part of Redeye's 'group'. I think this is what distinguishes this from many tv alien shoot um ups. It's more about how to tell who the enemy is now, and when to take the chance they're not.

I keep wondering those scenes with Tom and Ben speaking to a crowd. The crowd shots are narrow focus. What aren't we seeing?

Old 07-13-2012, 02:05 AM

Now we can watch the last episode of Season 2 without trepidation. TNT has renewed the show for a third.

TNT Orders Third Season of Epic Drama Falling Skies | TNT Newsroom

It's unfortunate more of the more creatively themed shows which died early or like Jericho took a roused fan base to save were not on a network like TNT, especially in the current sea of reality stupidity.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:47 PM

380 posts, read 377,911 times
I get a nagging suspicion that the aliens are playing Tom. This whole resistance idea is something a history teacher would buy into. Its too much to hope for. Tom is being used to goad the others in accepting this pretense. Could be the aliens are using this resistance idea to root out places like Charleston.

Haven't seen any filming news about location shooting in Charleston. Hope the show can work in the "Yorktown" somehow, not to mention Fort Sumter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV