Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 10:15 AM

563 posts, read 1,502,129 times

Advertisements

Was a good show. Not spectacular, but I'll be watching again. I like Christina Ricci.
It's very interesting to me to see shows like this - what life was like (kind of) back before my time. (born 1985)

Old 09-26-2011, 10:32 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,417,222 times
I thought it was delightful.

The thing that struck me was the emphasis on the 'stepford' quality of the Stewardesses, using dialogue, storyline, and even using cinematography (is that the correct word?) subtly, or obviously, throughout the whole show. For instance, that shot of the ladies walking through the terminal at the very end, all in step, all positioned carefully, and each holding their white gloved hand up at the same angle, to carry their flight bag; the film speed slowed just slightly to appear surreal.
Really well-done.

I like that time slot, it winds up my weekend. I used to watch Bro's&Sis's at that time, and this is a perfect replacement.

Captain Bill thanks for sharing your experiences!

Old 09-26-2011, 11:20 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,196,625 times
Oh my gosh just got finished watching it and I think it is one of the best new shows of the season . Definately a must see . Plenty of plot twists and turns . The wife of that guy kind of peed me off when she said what she said to the stewardess . Excuse me but why cant your husband learn to keep the pony in the barn ? The nerve of her to blame it all on the stewardess . I really like the french stewardess collette does anyone know what this actress's name is ? and what she has done before ? I loved it .

Old 09-26-2011, 11:35 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,377,951 times
I loved the show and am definitely hooked. And Captain Bill, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and memories. Since I just watched the show an hour ago, your post helped extend my enjoyment. Since I'm a big fan of Mad Men and the 60's, I was looking forward to this show and The Playboy Club, also set in the 60's. Pan Am was MUCH better than Playboy Club.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:05 PM

5,121 posts, read 16,641,344 times
I also liked it. Hopefully it makes it past the first season.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:17 PM

4,067 posts, read 5,669,496 times
About Colette and the married guy's wife...I thought what she said was okay...it was a heck of a lot nicer than most such wives would say. Yeah, she should have blamed the husband also, and maybe she did but just didn't say so. But this was a different era, things had started changing, but slowly. And women SHOULD ask whether a new guy has a wife or girlfriend before anything gets beyond a certain point. And preferably get to know a guy longer. Just sayin'.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:19 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,742,409 times
I enjoyed it. I was sorta shocked that one stewardess didn't pick up the hints all along that the wife knew who she was to her husband. It was obvious, she had figured it out.

I didn't even pick up that the one in Cuba, she was probably late getting back to the plane because she had a meeting.

I think, this will be an interesting season.

The planes sure looked more spacious then the planes today.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,895,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I enjoyed it. I was sorta shocked that one stewardess didn't pick up the hints all along that the wife knew who she was to her husband. It was obvious, she had figured it out.

I didn't even pick up that the one in Cuba, she was probably late getting back to the plane because she had a meeting.

I think, this will be an interesting season.

The planes sure looked more spacious then the planes today.
I don't remember the 707 and 727 being particularly spacious... the first spacious plane I recall are the wide body DC10 and L1011

I think the reason the purser was late in Cuba is because she was on assignment.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:15 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,511,820 times
It definitely harkens back to the day when flying was glamourous and special, I remember when I was a kid, flying was a big deal, people dressed up and everything was 1st class. Later on when I got old enough to fly by myself, I thought this is gonna be cool, I'm gonna wear a suit, it'll be all glamourous and classy, but when I get to the airport, I'm the only guy in a suit, a lot of people wearing shorts, tank tops and flip flops, and I thought to myself, what happened here? What happened to all the class and glamour of flying in an airplane?

Old 09-26-2011, 01:28 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,553,151 times
I was really taken by the show. I am hoping to see more of Christina Ricci since I am a fan of hers. I have it set up on my DVR so I will be sure not to miss an episode. I remember flying Pan Am and the stewardesses and everthing looks so authentic.

I am looking forward to the rest of the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV