Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 09:18 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,183,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I really liked the bits of history thrown in to the story line. I remember Kennedy's "Ich Bin Ein Berliner" speech. It made headlines througout the world.

Collette's reaction to being in Germany was so heartbreaking. This show is on the top of my "must see" list for this season. It is more than just the adventures of flight attendants and pilots. It's history, intrigue and adventure with some fun thrown in.
yeah that was at a time when the french and germans liked americans not so much anymore because we are now the laughing stock of the world .

Old 10-11-2011, 11:54 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,869,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
yeah that was at a time when the french and germans liked americans not so much anymore because we are now the laughing stock of the world .
A group from the Bay Area was traveling through Europe and then 9/11 happened... they were stranded in Paris.

Total strangers welcomed them into their homes... people on the street would come up and ask if they are American and then hug them...

This was not an isolated experience because I have a friend that was in Berlin at the same time and he had much the same experience.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:52 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,183,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
A group from the Bay Area was traveling through Europe and then 9/11 happened... they were stranded in Paris.

Total strangers welcomed them into their homes... people on the street would come up and ask if they are American and then hug them...

This was not an isolated experience because I have a friend that was in Berlin at the same time and he had much the same experience.
Oh well that is good to know that the french still like americans and the germans do too .

Old 10-11-2011, 02:49 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,542,143 times
Captain Bill, I think you should be writing your own show. Your stories are great. And true!

Old 10-11-2011, 03:47 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,869,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Oh well that is good to know that the french still like americans and the germans do too .
I know this is off topic... but people were congratulating me/America for electing President Obama... even a priest waiting in line at a small grocery store said he was proud that America had finally reached a point where this could happen...

As to Pan Am... I'm sure somewhere up in the attic I still have a few Pan Am flight bags...

Old 10-12-2011, 01:02 AM

11 posts, read 16,194 times
I thought for a minute there that Col was going to sing the French national anthem like in "Casablanca".

Old 10-12-2011, 07:02 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,819,721 times
Berlin was not an easy airport to fly into because of the 3 corridors that flew over East Germany.

Germany was divided by West Germany occupied by the Allies, and East Germany occupied by the Soviets.

Berlin was in the center of East Germany and it was also divided by East (Soviet) and West (Allies)

To get to Berlin there were 3 air corridors that flew over East Germany. Straying outside the corridors would risk getting shot down. Planes had to fly at a maximum of 10,000 feet (which eats a tremendous amount of jet fuel at that low altitude) at a given speed, and you couldn't overtake a slower aircraft in front of you. So the speed was also regulated.

When I went to Berlin several times it was a flight from Frankfurt, and we took the central corridor, which was the shortest route that cost the less in fuel burn.

Pan Am also had a crew base in Berlin. It was called the IGS (Inter German Service) where they flew flights into and out of Berlin to other German cities, using 727's and later, A310's. Most, if not all, of the IGS FA's were German.

Most of the pilots were single
and they could travel into East Germany without any problems. According to stories my friends who were based there told me, the pilots went to East Berlin for the women. The women were attracted to the American men because they could bring items to them that were not available in East Germany, and they had money, which was very scarce in E Germany.

So, some of the over zealous pilots had an East German girl friend, and a West German girl friend. The West German girl friend in many cases lived with the pilot. The pilots who wanted even more girl friends wouldn't have a live-in girl friend, so he was more free to see several West German women, plus the East German woman, or women.

When the wall came down
, the fit hit the shan. The East German girl friends came rushing over, only to discover that they were not the only one, and I'm told there were some very uncomfortable moments.

Pan Am was heavily involved during the Berlin Airlift

Pan Am has been involved in Germany for many years. During 1948, when the Soviets shut down all the land and sea routes into West Berlin so that vital food and supplies couldn't reach them, the Berlin Airlift began, and lasted for around 11 months.

Food and supplies were airlifted into Berlin by the Air Force and a few civilian airlines, including Pan Am. Captain Jack Bennett, in the video below was one of those Pan Am Captains.

Capt. Jack Bennett, 86, a Berlin Airlift Hero - Obituary; Biography - NYTimes.com

During the Berlin Airlift
, one pilot started dropping candy for the kids. He became famous as the "Candy Bomber", and other Airlift pilots began doing the same thing. The Berlin Airlift was crucial in that if it failed we would have probably entered into WW3 with Russia.

THE "CANDY BOMBER" OF THE BERLIN AIRLIFT, 60 YEARS LATER - YouTube

The Candy Bombers - Part 2 - YouTube

Here's a short video of the Berlin wall history.

Rise and fall of the Berlin wall - YouTube

The Berlin Wall Falls 1989 NBC Coverage Pt1 - YouTube

In 1991, Pan Am sold it's North American routes to Delta Airlines.
The following year Pan Am closed it's doors. I was flying the European routes from New York on the A310 and Delta needed a turn key system because they didn't have any pilots trained on the A310. So I went to Delta with that route sale, and flew for Delta for about another year before retiring.

For Pan Am, the End of an Aviation Era - NYTimes.com

Last edited by Captain Bill; 10-12-2011 at 07:22 AM..

Old 10-12-2011, 07:42 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,170,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I really think some people look into shows WAY too hard. It's for entertainment!!!
Exactly!!!!

Old 10-12-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
I also noticed how small Maggie looked. The Collette story was very interesting, as she sang with some difficulty and disdain the German song which I am pretty sure was around during the Nazi era. I will have to check on that...my curiousity is piqued.
It is the German National Anthem (Deutschland Über Alles - German Above All) and it was indeed the National Anthem then.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I have a feeling that song Colette sang was Hitler's song about Germany. I think I've heard it in documentaries about the Third Reich. I, too, would like to hear more about Colette's story.

That hatred still runs deep in some people. Back in the 80's I worked with a kid whose g/father fought against the Russians and was hanged in St. Petersburg Sq. and that kid has so much hatred for the Russians that it just dripped from his mouth when he told me the story.
It wasn't Hitler's song. It was the German National Anthem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV