Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 05:29 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,913,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
If you look at fashion photos from that time period, that was the desired style of posing. It was very affected and posey-posey - but still sort of charming. Just think of all the vintage ads you've seen from the late 1950's and early 1960's - very posed!

I sincerely doubt that most women were able to carry that off very often in everyday life, but it's definitely what they aspired to be and do - that was the look of the day! And if you were a Pan Am stewardess, walking through an airport with other stewardesses, it's probably very likely that you would hold your head high, and try to walk like a fashion model - so in that respect, I would say it's probably not too far off from reality!
Last time I was at the SF airport a group of Singapore Flight Attendants were walking much the same way... people did stop and did a double take...

The 5 were as prim and proper and walked like fashion models in unison...

Old 10-25-2011, 06:43 PM

311 posts, read 470,383 times
I really like the show, will keep watching. Not sure why but I especially like the character of "Collette", I was moved by the episode in Germany, where she sang, you could really feel her pain.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:12 PM

288 posts, read 718,608 times
Default Aircraft Engines

In the pilot there was a shot of one of an aircraft taking off (one of the Pan Am planes) with strange looking engines. I think it may have been near the end of the episode. The back of the engines had about 10 tubes in a circle with jet flames coming out. As soon as I saw that I thought that the show was taking place in an alternate universe of sorts. The engines for passenger jets, even in that time, don't look like that. I think there are some fighter planes with engines like that but not passenger planes.

Or am I missing something? I don't have an image of it unfortunately.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:52 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,829,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnTraveler View Post
In the pilot there was a shot of one of an aircraft taking off (one of the Pan Am planes) with strange looking engines. I think it may have been near the end of the episode. The back of the engines had about 10 tubes in a circle with jet flames coming out. As soon as I saw that I thought that the show was taking place in an alternate universe of sorts. The engines for passenger jets, even in that time, don't look like that. I think there are some fighter planes with engines like that but not passenger planes.

Or am I missing something? I don't have an image of it unfortunately.
The first photo down on this page is what you saw.
The 707 Family

I don't recall those engines, although the tail number 715PA is a familiar number and I probably flew that one.

The 707 used the Pratt and Whitney JT3 engine. Here is a photo, and this is the engine that I recall

File:Pratt & Whitney JT3.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 3-stage turbines, just in front of the red cone, ejected the hot air out the rear to give the engine forward thrust.

This sketch shows the clam shell doors in place, and also rotated back to the reverse thrust position.
Turbofan engine with reduced noise - Drawing for Patent # 5706651 - PatentGenius

The photo on this page shows that engine.
Photos: Boeing 720-023B Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

Everything you see was covered with metal cowlings.
The plastic around the red tail cone was metal and in two pieces. On the ground, when using reverse thrust, this section would open up like a clam shell and deflect all that thrust forward, thereby slowing the airplane down. Upon landing, after the reflector doors are open, you hear the increased engine thrust, which is very effective in slowing the airplane down.

Once the airplane is slow enough, the reverse thrust is removed and the brakes are used.

Here's a site that has some Pan Am History

It also has a Message Board

This is one of the messages from a former Pan Am flight attendant As most of the former Pan Amer's, I am thrilled to finally have a program that displays the grace, education,and professionalism (for the most part) portrayed in the new PAN AM series. Although I never recall a B707 Captain being SO YOUNG when I opened the cockpit door, it is a refreshing look into our past careers that played and made us who we are today. Kudo's to Nancy Holt Ganis for getting it pretty close to right! Thanks Nancy!"

I responded to her post, inviting her to join the discussion here on C-D. Hopefully she will, and perhaps others will also join the discussion.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:03 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,829,248 times
Default Former Pan Am Flight Attendants

This is the link to two Pan Am Flight Attendants (sisters) blog that they started after the Pan Am TV show began.

It's interesting to read their story. I suggest that some of the ladies on this thread read their blog and invite them to share their experiences on this C-D thread as it will give them more exposure. And it will provide readers here with more information on the reality of the job.

They will probably be more than happy to answer your questions.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:09 AM

4,067 posts, read 5,671,438 times
Seems like she came along later on when things were getting more diverse. One thing that has bothered me about the show was how white and undiverse the whole crew is on the show.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:21 AM

288 posts, read 718,608 times
Thanks for the detailed response Captain Bill! Yes, I see the engines now in those photos.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,566,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Seems like she came along later on when things were getting more diverse. One thing that has bothered me about the show was how white and undiverse the whole crew is on the show.
I can't remember ever seeing an African-American or Asian stewardess in those days. If they existed, they were few and far between. We are talking about the 60's here, I think they are just portraying what was going on at the time.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:19 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,913,382 times
It really depends on the airline...

Pan Am didn't really start integrating African Americans flight attendants till the mid 60's

Of course, flight attendants across the board were all male at the very beginning.

Specific airlines such a JAL were almost all asian from the start...

Airline Travel...What You Really Need To Know!!!: The First African-American Flight Attendant in the United States.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:50 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,850,768 times
Interesting reading tonight. Thanks everyone. It would be nice if the two former Pan Am Flight attendants would visit CD. I am still liking the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV