Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 04:46 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
It means enjoying the great overacting duel of all time between two actors:
William Shatner v. Ricardo Montalban in The Wrath of Khan.

YouTube - ‪KHAAAAAAN!‬‏
Lol, very true. This was clasic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 04:53 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
The beauty of Star Trek is that it is very much connected to today. We have our problems, but we inventively build the future that is to come. Which is somewhat the lesson, it's really up to us to determine how the future will unfold.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:32 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Default Live long and prosper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
"Vulcan Death Grip" is a misnomer. It's just a nerve pinch to render someone temporarily unconscious. Yes, I am a Star Trek geek.
I myself love a good conversation about the logistics of how warp drive works and those other uses it might have which they were too nice to use. Ditto beaming... what happens if you beam through something solid like a planet??? And of course the alternate tales where the um, BAD things happen where trek doesn't go. They often lose the wars in my fanfic. I've tried to write it (expecially alternate universe tales, where things are darker) about other shows but I feel I can just go to the trek world and know where I am.

What if they HAD lost the Dominion war? What would have happened to the ones left? I liked the darker tone of the most recent alternate kirk/spock/uhura movie quite a lot. Still consider it purely an alternate universe story though.

DS9 is my favorite of all Treks and what I love is the complexity and compromise which even Picard didn't have to deal with.

When I was fifteen and origional trek was in its origional broadcast my friends and I made up episodes on reel to reel tape. Thank the Prophets that the tape is dead now but thats where my fandom started. It was through trek fandom that I discovered science fiction fandom and the kind of people like me a lonely kid had always been looking for.

Trek may sound like a tv show to some people, but its been a consistant in my life through good times and bad, marriage and un and from childhood on and will always be a place I belong.

FIAWOL to all!!! (for the uninitated, Fandom is a Way of Life)

Old 07-03-2011, 06:44 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,365 times
AHHhhhhh...my mom and hubby were/are "Trekkers" (Mom detested the "trekkie" designation) As a teen I went to many conventions with my mother and to her utter horror, I gravitated towards the few Doctor Who items in the dealers room lol.
Yes, I am a Whovian torn between #4 and #10 as my fav...tho' I like them all...and (don't fire your phasers) I'll take the Tardis anyday...and a Sonic screwdriver is soooo much better than a Tri-corder, cos hey, you can put up shelves with it, open doors,and save the "ghosting" conciousness of your future/past (whatever) wife/lover?
But, I do like Star Trek...gotta love those pointy earred Vulcans.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:15 AM

56 posts, read 96,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
But, I do like Star Trek...gotta love those pointy earred Vulcans.
And those oh so sexy eyebrows!

Old 07-04-2011, 03:32 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times

Star Trek first came on the scene when I was in my first year of college. We'd all gather together in the dorm living room and watch it. We were not allowed to have TVs in our rooms. Since that time I have always connected that show with the wonderful time I had in college.

I still chuckle thinking about "The Trouble with Tribbles."

William Shatner has done very well for himself. He reinvents himself every couple of decades.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

Star Trek first came on the scene when I was in my first year of college. We'd all gather together in the dorm living room and watch it. We were not allowed to have TVs in our rooms. Since that time I have always connected that show with the wonderful time I had in college.

I still chuckle thinking about "The Trouble with Tribbles."

William Shatner has done very well for himself. He reinvents himself every couple of decades.
Ah yes, the group trek...
I remember in college during the season premiere of TNG when all with bated breath found out just what happened to Picard after he was "assimilated" by the BORG. For me, *that* was one of the "must see" TV shows of the fall- and it didn't disappoint.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:57 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Yes the best of the Next Gen seasons

Old 07-04-2011, 09:57 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Ah yes, the group trek...
I remember in college during the season premiere of TNG when all with bated breath found out just what happened to Picard after he was "assimilated" by the BORG. For me, *that* was one of the "must see" TV shows of the fall- and it didn't disappoint.
The three most dreaded words in Star Trek, especially TNG... to be continued. But I was very active in the trek boards then and we had a wonderful field day coming up with ideas. I even did some research. Locutus was real. He was a Roman Senator (I believe) who watched the Barbarian hordes attack Rome and take the captital city for the first time, and forcast the end of the empire. I always thought it was a veiled reference to the the idea that no matter how strong, the Federation still could fall. and then what?

Ah yes, group trek. At a small science fiction convention put on three times a year by the Bill Crawford, (wonderful friendly family conventions where the regulars were family) my boyfriend and I did the film room on year. Among Boy and his Dog, and at least one Roger Corman movie and some good fan made films we ALWAYS did trek episodes. We discovered as the con was opening that the ones we got were not in English. But since we couldn't trade, ran them anyway. Several were in Spanish, one something from Eastern Europe and a couple in Japanese. We had all the seats filled. Who cares if its in English if you already know it by heart?

My first convention was Equicon 1, held in LA, which was the second Star Trek convention. It went down as the fire martial con since they did a tv ad at the last minute and instead of max of maybe 500 total, got over a thousand attendees in a day. So the fire martial made people wait in line and if someone left, someone could go in. Sure miss those days. I STILL have my badge too!

Old 07-04-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
The three most dreaded words in Star Trek, especially TNG... to be continued. But I was very active in the trek boards then and we had a wonderful field day coming up with ideas. I even did some research. Locutus was real. He was a Roman Senator (I believe) who watched the Barbarian hordes attack Rome and take the captital city for the first time, and forcast the end of the empire. I always thought it was a veiled reference to the the idea that no matter how strong, the Federation still could fall. and then what?

Ah yes, group trek. At a small science fiction convention put on three times a year by the Bill Crawford, (wonderful friendly family conventions where the regulars were family) my boyfriend and I did the film room on year. Among Boy and his Dog, and at least one Roger Corman movie and some good fan made films we ALWAYS did trek episodes. We discovered as the con was opening that the ones we got were not in English. But since we couldn't trade, ran them anyway. Several were in Spanish, one something from Eastern Europe and a couple in Japanese. We had all the seats filled. Who cares if its in English if you already know it by heart?

My first convention was Equicon 1, held in LA, which was the second Star Trek convention. It went down as the fire martial con since they did a tv ad at the last minute and instead of max of maybe 500 total, got over a thousand attendees in a day. So the fire martial made people wait in line and if someone left, someone could go in. Sure miss those days. I STILL have my badge too!
I've always wanted to go to a Trek convention. And YES, the Star Trek experience in Las Vegas was heaven on earth- so sorry it closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV