Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 04:02 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,361,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazertrek50 View Post
Not from Star Fleet!? Have you not paid attention to the majority of the Admirals' behavior? For example Admiral Daugherty in the movie Star Trek Insurrection! There are numerous examples of Star Fleet top "brass" acting in their own interests that jeopardized galactic peace, for their own gains, such as in the episode "Ensign Ro". Star Fleet is not without blood on its own "hands", though the majority of the fleet do seem to have high ideals and behave with integrity.
There was a clear line between the ones who sat in briefing rooms planets away and those on the ground. When Ensign Ro was introduced it was quite clear that they have no clue what to think of the Bajorans. They're just refugees. When she is ask by Picard or Riker what they need most and she says 'blankets' its like opening a new door.

That also showed something else, that faced with the unfamiliar, perhaps shocked by that which had never been a part of their life, line officers and ships crews *can* still step past that 'wall' that command holds.

I'd like to see how the feds handle the people displaced and changed of their own especially from areas where the Dominion took the planet, and see if they really learned anything.

In light of the Dominion war and the utter annihliation of peacetime and its amenenties, its interesting to look at earlier views of the federation, and how it was always about the military with science thrown in as a public shield. Nothing had to be added to make it just a warship.

Just watch the episodes with the alternative timeline where Tasha Yar didn't die, and how dark a portrait of the ship it is. And Picard is told the Federation is literally months before its defeat. This is what I imagine when I think of the wartime Enterprise.

My favorite ship is still the Defiant, which was absolutly honest about what it was there for. Odds are, they'll be building more Defiant class ships and less Enterprise style ones after the war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 07:41 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,866,475 times
Kirk getting this episode's gorgeous alien woman to make out with him!

Take that Picard!

Old 05-12-2012, 07:47 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,555,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
What does STAR TREK mean to you?
Sexy green aliens and babes in cosmic-cheerleader uniforms.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:45 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,850,342 times
Gene Roddenberry was a visionary, and an idealist, but in a positive way, and saw that one day racism, and petty wars will be a thing of the past, and everyone, everywhere will strive to do good. In my opinion, he portrayed, in his episodes the longing all of us have to eliminate hurtfull, hatefull actions, and create a perfect neighborhood, be it in our hometown, or in our galaxy, or beyond. Also, like someone said in an earlier post, some of the devices are similar, if not forerunners to things we have today( communicators, phasers, and now, possibly, warp drive.) Still waiting on the Tri-corder, and the Transporter. And, we all got inspiration from watching Kirk, seeing that even an Iowa farm boy could aspire, and realize to travel the stars, unite different races, and save the Earth, several times over, if need be. Also, it was the very first show I got to see in color.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:38 AM

475 posts, read 650,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
Gene Roddenberry was a visionary, and an idealist, but in a positive way, and saw that one day racism, and petty wars will be a thing of the past, and everyone, everywhere will strive to do good. In my opinion, he portrayed, in his episodes the longing all of us have to eliminate hurtfull, hatefull actions, and create a perfect neighborhood, be it in our hometown, or in our galaxy, or beyond. Also, like someone said in an earlier post, some of the devices are similar, if not forerunners to things we have today( communicators, phasers, and now, possibly, warp drive.) Still waiting on the Tri-corder, and the Transporter. And, we all got inspiration from watching Kirk, seeing that even an Iowa farm boy could aspire, and realize to travel the stars, unite different races, and save the Earth, several times over, if need be. Also, it was the very first show I got to see in color.
Don't forget the "biobed" as they now use Star Trek like ones in many hospitals. I think Roddenberry's ideal universe, while noble was as misguided as his atheism. The only way we will ever have the universe he describes in the first two series of Star Trek (well for most of TNG) is when all embrace Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior and treat each other as HE teaches us "Love your neighbor as yourself, and forgive as I (God) has forgiven you. No this is not about any religion but about what God is and that is Love "end of preachyness". I have watched Star Trek since 1966 (I was so frightened of the first show that I didn't watch it again until 1969, when I was 13, lol) and often as a young boy (and secretly even today as a 56 year old man) long to captain a starship into deep space to go where no one has gone before

Old 05-13-2012, 12:58 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,963,608 times
Green Orion slave girls. If only...

Old 05-13-2012, 03:33 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,049,578 times
In response to title of post...Nothing to me

Old 05-14-2012, 01:10 PM

18,553 posts, read 31,834,098 times
star trek means absolutely nothing to me. i have never seen a star trek episode in my life, and I am older than dirt.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:42 PM

475 posts, read 650,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
star trek means absolutely nothing to me. i have never seen a star trek episode in my life, and I am older than dirt.
Do you read any fictional books? Do you enjoy the use of your imagination? Do you own a TVset, have you ever ?

Old 05-14-2012, 05:07 PM

4,068 posts, read 5,673,235 times
When I was young, it was on TV...the original Star Trek. Yes, I'm that old! I remember the local station used to put it on after the news on Saturday night. Then it was eventually cancelled, later came Star Trek movies. Of course, there were more Star Trek TV shows, but they never seemed as good. I can still hear the theme song in my head while I wrote this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV