Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:32 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,579,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I've watched all episodes so far and here is my take:

- It is the "Black" SITC a blatant rip-off, only set in ATL instead of NYC and ATL isn't a center piece like NYC was to SITC. Val is Carrie, Keisha is Samantha, April is Charlotte, Omar is Stamford, Malcom is the "Mr Big" character of the show, a Maranda like character is obviously missing. They could've been a little more original. Having 3 lead females instead of 4 does not make it distinct from SITC.

- Lisa Raye "Keisha" my goodness can she play anything other than the Stereotypical black-ebonics speaking female....Notice that Keisha is an ex-stripper like her character from Diamond from Player Club.

- Stacey Dash "Valerie" tries to play a leading "sista" but its just not her, she used to playing the black sidekick to white leads and it shows.

- Charity Shea "April" needs to get work on be more authentic, I understand her character is suppose to be the "white sista" but it seems so forced, I just can't buy it. Again I think she can improve on that.

- Travis Winfrey "Omar" what can I say he plays a good Gay wing, for every show about female friends there has to be a gay wingman. Just always wondered why he's not considered part of the lead cast, but Kassandra Clementi "Christina" is.

- Kassandra Clementi "Christina" she's different, but kind of pointless, I mean is she suppose to be 4th piece to our SITC knock offs? She no Maranda and very young and immature I just don't see the point of this character.

- DB Woodside "Malcom" He needs some humility, the character is too damn "Angry Black Guy", lighten him up just a bit...a little less stereotypical please.

I'm giving the show a chance, but if by season 2 I don't start to see these character grow, and the actors start molding the character into something more original and genuine I'm going to drop it.
I agree I think Atlanta was a bad choice for the city, Miami or Chicago would have been perfect, but the people on the show dont really represent the people in Atlanta, but thats Queen Latifah, she is the one bent on the Atlanta is americas BLACK CITY.

On another note, I never watched Sex and the City, a lot of people didnt watch that show, so there is room for this one, hey at least its not one of those stupid ass housewife shows though. I following the show, but tonights episode was kinda filler, I dont see Jerry & Reed lasting longer than this season and both of them need to be written off, maybe work Malcolms brother in on Val or April both of them need to be thrown around the bed room in a rough way. April needs a white dude, please dont put her back with any more brothas....she had her chance not put her with a white guy now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 11:46 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,282,834 times
I'm watching this show now. Great shots of the skyline(s), but it is nothing but a never-ending discussion or display of status. The people on here super progressive... funny, they show this after Love and HipHop. but on another note, are there large segments of blacks like this in Atlanta that I am unaware of?

Last edited by meep; 06-19-2012 at 12:08 AM..

Old 06-24-2012, 08:45 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,395,321 times
The sex in the show annoys me. I'm not a prude cause I was a huge fan of SITC and girlfriends but with this show I couldn't relate to any of the characters. Lisa Raye annoys me with that hood attitude, April just seemed trashy but I did enjoy the brief coverage of her divorce. Stacy Dash character was just blah.

I tried to watch the new episodes but I was bored and turned. They need new writers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV