Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 07:25 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,987,214 times

Advertisements

The second season is starting this Friday on Bravo, 9 eastern.
I enjoyed the first season, but not so much because of the great artwork, not all of it was that good, but I liked to watch and listen to some of the pretentious judges. People from an alternate universe.

It seems the best way to judge good art is if it 'works'. Ok, it's hard to use concrete terms to define the ephemeral, but because of that you can also build a phony elitism.

This is a somewhat wacky, but interesting show for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 08:28 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,337,733 times
I like art a lot. Have zero talent, though. I didn't watch the first season but I have been watching all of this season and like it a lot.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:48 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,385,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I enjoyed the first season, but not so much because of the great artwork, not all of it was that good,
No truer words could be spoken!

And the thing is, the artists themselves know they aren't always showing their best work. But they have so little time - and they pretty much have to take the first concept that occurs to them, and then run with it. But what if that first idea isn't really all that strong? And what if better ideas come along half-an-hour into the process? It's just a very very difficult situation for an artist to be in - and it's not the way most real art is created. In the real world, if an idea isn't working, you discard it and move on to the next idea. But on this show? They have no choice but to keep going and show it - even if they would rather not.

That said, it is a reality show, and they all knew what they were getting into, and they all knew that they might not get it right every time - especially when they're working in a medium they're not familiar with - and have some wacky theme they have to adhere to. It's like a big game - let's see who can make the best art - under these extreme and unnatural circumstances - and that's kind of fun!

I really do like the show - and I have to say that from my point of view most of the critiques are fairly down to earth and actually helpful. I don't see any hint of the pretentiousness that sometimes creeps in when art critics start judging art and artists. Even in school I saw much worse. I wouldn't mind a bit being critiqued by that panel!

Old 11-13-2011, 08:09 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,478,093 times
Can someone fill me in on that commercial they keep airing? The one where the voiceover says "you can't have tears without A-R-T" and then they show the woman with the glasses bawling her eyes out?

Old 11-13-2011, 08:37 PM

She was very sad because she was discouraged from creating art that looks like innards. Had a major meltdown, actually.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Can someone fill me in on that commercial they keep airing? The one where the voiceover says "you can't have tears without A-R-T" and then they show the woman with the glasses bawling her eyes out?
She was eliminated very early - I think it was week two? And she was actually quite sick, and so her emotions weren't just high because of the competition, but also because of her illness, and it really just became too much for her - and she broke down, during critique, in a very loud, and unexpected way. How often do you see someone just out of the blue, start to cry that loud? It was humorous, because it's so over-the-top - and because we're not talking starving children here - we're talking possible elimination from a reality show. But it was also very real - she really and truly was over-wrought.

But if you give producers footage like that? They can't help but use it! So we have this silly little commercial where they use shots of several of the contestants crying - but the payoff - and the punch line - is her over-the-top crying. And it is true that there is a lot of crying on this show...

Old 11-13-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
She was very sad because she was discouraged from creating art that looks like innards. Had a major meltdown, actually.
She actually has a masters in photography from Yale, and has won some major competitions - she's quite a serious artist - was named one of the "25 Under 25 Up-and-Coming American Photographers" in Photo District News - which is a pretty big deal.

So I think her downfall was to go in as an accomplished artist, and to think she could continue to do her art her way - which is EXACTLY what she should be doing as a fine artist in the real world. But this show, is a reality show, and shows like this reward those who are nimble and able to switch gears quickly. In the real world a body of work that is cohesive and makes sense is a good thing - on a show like this it's called "doing the same thing, over and over." On shows like this, we like to see the contestants stretch and do new things, and show us something new - and the contestants that do that, are rewarded.

She was stuck on making art in the real world - and just didn't get the rules of the game for success on a reality competition show...

Old 11-14-2011, 03:24 AM

Well, she has Crohn's but her crying seemed less from pain and more from being upset because she didn't want to veer from what she wanted to do. Yes it is a reality show but surely she knew what was expected of her. Their challenge was to do an individual piece but it had to be group related. She must have known she would have to collaborate. I truly empathize with her. I'm in a lot of pain, too. But I think there might be a bit more going on there.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:50 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,808,968 times
Quote:
hehehehe.....it was so unexpected and bizzaro that I had to laugh aloud!!!!

Old 11-14-2011, 04:26 AM

Quote:
more from being upset because she didn't want to veer from what she wanted to do. Yes it is a reality show but surely she knew what was expected of her.
I have two possible theories. One, she knew she would be expected to bend, but she still was under the impression that art trumps all, and thought she could twist any assignment to fit what she wanted to do. In other words she was naive about the reality of a reality show.

Or, two, she knew what was expected of her, and knew she would be kicked off if she refused to bend - but she didn't care. She went on the show solely for the publicity - and never intended to "play the game" - she was only interested in showcasing her art, as is. In other words, she wasn't a bit naive, and in fact knew fully what she was doing - and it was very calculated.

I suspect the truth lies somewhere in between those extremes.

And it's probably the same for many of the artists. There's a certain desire to showcase the thing they do - and the thing they love... But they also have a strong desire to do well on the show and win the game. And those desires don't always overlap - sometimes they conflict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV