Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 08:08 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,493,391 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's because it's the political season .... maybe my expectations are low, low, low ....

But I LMAO at SNL this week.

A disclaimer: "Saturday Night Live" is actually "Early Sunday Evening" for me these days, as I am somewhat past staying up that late on Saturdays for no good reason ... and usually, SNL has not been a good reason to stay up late.

But I was pleasantly, nay, magnificently surprised at SNL this week. Every sketch -- with the exception of the lame "Secret Word" sketch and the oddly anemic "Wish it Would Rain" video from Andy Sanberg .. had me laughing. My favorites were "Sad Song" and the so- funny-I-nearly-cried "Technology Humping" -- weirdly, they saved that one for last. Perhaps that is their new strategy, who knows?

Anyone else amazed/encouraged by this seeming renaissance or am I the lone weirdo desperate for SNL to reclaim its glory days?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 09:32 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,536,965 times
They ruined Weekend UPdate again with their 'special guests' Garth and Kat (I think?) and The Devil. The only good one they have is Stephan. Just kidding...no really, that is not funny.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:59 PM

563 posts, read 1,499,284 times
I haven't watched SNL since the days when Will Ferrel, Ana Gastyer, Cheri Oteri, etc. were on the show. The best SNLs were with Adam Sandler and Chris Farley and David Spade, etc.

There's occasional skits that come about online that are good, like Justin Timberlakes Cup O Soup. And while the skit wasn't great, I loved the lines for the womans championship darts with Sigourni Weaver. "When her situation down south make you breath through your mouth, Summers Eve!"

Old 11-13-2011, 10:09 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,841,788 times
Last night was pretty funny....good since I feel they've been in a slump for quite a while, even with some good guest hosts. I thought even when Alec Baldwin was on last they struggled with writing good skits to take advantage of his abilities.

The "new crop" of talent is really hit or miss, although I think Bayer has promise. The new guys aren't making a real impression on me. I really think Kristen Wiig is carrying a lot of the load right now...

Old 11-14-2011, 12:11 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
I gave up watching SNL years ago, when, IMO, they stopped being funny and entertaining. The early years were best, especialy with cast members like John Belushi, Dan Akroyd, Chevy Chase, Gilda Radner etal. That was a good era and entertaining.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:41 AM

7,369 posts, read 5,484,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I gave up watching SNL years ago, when, IMO, they stopped being funny and entertaining. The early years were best, especialy with cast members like John Belushi, Dan Akroyd, Chevy Chase, Gilda Radner etal. That was a good era and entertaining.
Agreed! I don't watch anymore either except sometime I might watch the first 15 minutes, maybe longer. Last weeks' Kardashian skit was funny and this week's political skit at the beginning was funny but nothing was funny to me after that so I changed the channel.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:53 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I was just going to say that. Also loved Eddie Murphy. Tina Fey was great. Around the last presidential election SNL became hilarious. You would think with the cast of characters running for office they would be having a field day right now.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:58 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,493,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
They ruined Weekend UPdate again with their 'special guests' Garth and Kat (I think?) and The Devil. The only good one they have is Stephan. Just kidding...no really, that is not funny.
I LOVE Stephan! Bill Hader is the most talented *male* cast member they have.

I agree that SNL has been in a prolonged downward spiral lately. The season opener was a disgrace. But I have been a fan of the show since the beginning and I will hang with it, regardless.

I was rewarded for my perseverance during the Tina Fey/Amy Pohler days ... those were GREAT years!

I also agree that the current crop of talent just isn't up to par with that group, with the exception of Bill Hader and Kristen Wig (whom I bet is in her last season .. her movie career appears to be taking off in a big way).

I also think there is a BIG problem with the writing -- the actors need better material! Hopefully they will come around on that one, too. My theory is that there is competition for writers these days -- so many networks with so many shows, it's probably hard to lure them to a weekly *live* comedy show (which I imagine is a very hard gig and not for the faint of heart, despite the big bucks involved).

Again, just a theory. But I was encouraged by this past weekend's episode. Whenever I can watch the entire episode and not turn it off after "Weekend Update," I'm encouraged.

Here's hoping ....

Old 11-14-2011, 09:19 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times
Haven't watched SNL for a very long time. I've caught a clip or two here and there, but it's just too stupid for me now. Everything is political, which gets old really quick, and it just isn't funny. For me, the best episodes were the ones with Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, Phil Hartman, Dana Carvey, Mike Meyers, Victoria Jackson, and Molly Shannon. Even some with Will Ferrell and Cheri Oteri. After that, it just went downhill.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:24 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,467,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Agree. Lately I've tuned in because of the muical guest, which the performances were divine these past two weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV