Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 06:20 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,091,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Except that for all networks (including cable), the keydemographic is age 18-49. Has been that way for pretty much as long as tv has been around.
Then I would have to say the networks need to get with the times. Let's face it. ABC just didn't like the demographic that was watching Last Man Standing because they were more conservative than the people that run the network. They can deny this all they want, but the chart that someone posted above shows that they had large numbers of viewers watching the show but they were not in the 18-49 age group. So, if they weren't watching, then who was? And how does the people 50+ stack up when you look at conservative vs liberal?

First result after bing search:http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...ting-behavior/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 06:39 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,731,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Then I would have to say the networks need to get with the times. Let's face it. ABC just didn't like the demographic that was watching Last Man Standing because they were more conservative than the people that run the network. They can deny this all they want, but the chart that someone posted above shows that they had large numbers of viewers watching the show but they were not in the 18-49 age group. So, if they weren't watching, then who was? And how does the people 50+ stack up when you look at conservative vs liberal?

First result after bing search:The politics of American generations: How age affects attitudes and voting behavior | Pew Research Center
You can apply all of the politics you want but it is simply not true. Every single year the show was on the negotiations came down to the wire because it was such an expensive show.

I feel like I have said this 100 times but for the sale of the discussion I will say it again. If ABC had a problem with the political view of the show it wouldnt have lasted 130 episodes.

I feel like the people that argue ABC's views caused the cancellation never actually watched the show. It didnt slant politically one way or the other. There was pretty equal representation.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:51 PM

9,889 posts, read 7,226,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
You can apply all of the politics you want but it is simply not true. Every single year the show was on the negotiations came down to the wire because it was such an expensive show.
And as noted in the Fox pickup, the cast is being pared way down which typically means cutting production costs.

I give it one season on Fox.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:26 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,238,679 times
Quote:
You can say this all you want, but it ain't true. And I'm well north of 60, so it's not like a got a dog in this hunt.

Networks that show commercials generally want "the demo". 18-49. Sure, total number of viewers counts for something, but when it comes down to a bubble show, or a show that's starting to get up there expense-wise, they want the demo.

It has nothing, NOTHING, to do with politics. Heck, they'd put Jerry Falwell on again if he could pull the demo.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
And as noted in the Fox pickup, the cast is being pared way down which typically means cutting production costs.

I give it one season on Fox.
Actually everyone is back for the most part. Only Kaitlyn Dever (Eve) and Molly Ephraim (Mandy) arent confirmed. Whats interesting is that Christoph Sanders is confirmed. Will be interesting to see how that plays out if Molly doesnt return.

What really made the difference financially for Fox is the syndication deal. Those monies make up any potential losses incurred from picking the show back up

Old 05-21-2018, 08:42 PM

Speaking of Fox...

LA to Vegas canceled

Old 05-21-2018, 09:22 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Let's face it. ABC just didn't like the demographic that was watching Last Man Standing because they were more conservative than the people that run the network.
How would ABC even know the political leanings of those who watch certain shows?

Old 05-22-2018, 03:38 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,713,084 times
Quote:
Then I would have to say the networks need to get with the times. Let's face it. ABC just didn't like the demographic that was watching Last Man Standing because they were more conservative than the people that run the network.
I have to wonder about the political motivation behind such a claim given that there was not a single comedy with poorer ratings than Last Man Standing that was renewed while Last Man Standing was cancelled. Every comedy with the ratings Last Man Standing had or worse was canceled, even those that cost a lot less, even those that the network itself owned.

Quote:
They can deny this all they want...
And you can claim it all you want, but it is still just a pretty lame attempt to politicize a thread in a non-political forum.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
I will give you the argument about the cost vs revenue while having low ratings in the 18-49 demographic being a factor, and maybe ABC wasn't going out of their way to cancel LSM because they were conservative. They probably did it out of ignorance of the shift in demographics in the country.

That still does not change the fact that they are upsetting a growing demographic of older viewers that have a lot more time to watch TV and in many cases has a lot more discretionary funds to spend on things, since they have be living in a home that has no mortgage.

I can remember a time when the networks pretty much gave up on scheduling anything on Friday nights unless they wanted to kill it. Here, you had a show that was obviously drawing a large number of older viewers on Friday night, and ABC failed to market the commercial air time to the right advertisers for that demographic.

Oh well, it is coming back on FOX, and I have hope that FOX can do right by us boomers and find the advertisers to keep the show running.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I have to wonder about the political motivation behind such a claim given that there was not a single comedy with poorer ratings than Last Man Standing that was renewed while Last Man Standing was cancelled. Every comedy with the ratings Last Man Standing had or worse was canceled, even those that cost a lot less, even those that the network itself owned.

And you can claim it all you want, but it is still just a pretty lame attempt to politicize a thread in a non-political forum.
And you keep pounding on the ratings while ignoring the viewership numbers. If you read all my posts on this matter you would see that I pointed out that the ratings were for the 18-49 demographic, leaving the 50+ demographic to account for the #3, in viewership position, in the chart that was shown above. And then I provided a link to show that the 50+ demo is way more conservative than the rest. Whether they intended to slight the older, more conservative, generation or not, they ended up doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV