Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 01:36 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,036,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I agree. The Hutterites are mostly very poor actors and it shows. They often speak so slowly that a person might think they have mental developmental problems, maybe from intermarrying too much. I, personally, think they speak slowly because they are told to - they might not be understood if they spoke rapidly with some of those strange accents.
It's German. I don't know what is so strange about German?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 07:05 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,428,811 times
Thought it was interesting when one teenage girl wanted to quit high school - she wants to stay Hudderite, it's all she has ever known - whereas most mothers want their kids to at least finish HS, this mother was so happy -- the other girl likes school and wants to go to college - will see how it plays out - felt bad for Wesley(?) who had health issues, went to the dr. and was told to eat a heart-healthy diet - it will definitely be challenging w/ all the lard etc they use in everything - too bad the tofu wasnt a hit - those women need to learn how to cook healthier, lol (seriously though, it's not that difficult, they just need to be educated, there's a lot of options out there that arent that expensive, they dont need all the butter, sauces, gravies etc, there's easy ways to tweak it esp. w/ gardening and even w/ freezing etc, they just need the knowledge (where's Dr Oz when you need him, lol))

Old 07-04-2012, 05:24 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,976 times
Where does the women's hairstyle (historically) come from? It's very unflattering. I can't find any reference on the internet.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:49 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,980,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Thought it was interesting when one teenage girl wanted to quit high school - she wants to stay Hudderite, it's all she has ever known - whereas most mothers want their kids to at least finish HS, this mother was so happy -- the other girl likes school and wants to go to college - will see how it plays out - felt bad for Wesley(?) who had health issues, went to the dr. and was told to eat a heart-healthy diet - it will definitely be challenging w/ all the lard etc they use in everything - too bad the tofu wasnt a hit - those women need to learn how to cook healthier, lol (seriously though, it's not that difficult, they just need to be educated, there's a lot of options out there that arent that expensive, they dont need all the butter, sauces, gravies etc, there's easy ways to tweak it esp. w/ gardening and even w/ freezing etc, they just need the knowledge (where's Dr Oz when you need him, lol))
It seems very selfish and immature, to me, to want your children to sacrifice their future for the sake of supporting the colony. At least, with one more year of high school that young lady would have more options in the future. The colony certainly could have survived another year without the kitchen help of that woman's daughter. They give the kids all that additional responsibility at the age of seventeen, knowing the majority will have to quit school and knowing that once they quit there is a good chance that they will not resume their education. So the kids will be stuck on the 'plantation' doing more and more of the manual labor as their parents age.

I was so happy when that one girl said she wanted to get an education and leave the group. It was funny when she told the other to think of the group members who did not have a high school diploma and how they were stupid. Blunt talk maybe, but something that should be said.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:53 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,702,451 times
Maybe it is just me, but, it looks very staged.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:22 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,980,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Maybe it is just me, but, it looks very staged.
It's not just you. Sometimes you can see one of them smirking inappropriately in the background. On top of that, there is that stilted way of speaking that some of them have. Maybe it's a German manner of speaking, since I have not hung with Germans a lot, I don't know.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:53 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,168,626 times
I lived in Germany for years & never met a German who sounded like them speaking English.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:16 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
It's a form of Low German ... Pennsylvania Dutch speakers also have the accent.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:58 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,762,298 times
I watch this show for comedic effect. A great deal of the time it looks like they are playing to the cameras though. I like Amish: Out of Order also.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,610 times
I am moved by their conflict. I can feel the love and affection they have for community and rules. I think the changes they are experiencing at this time are like none other in history and it could mean the end of their kind. I respect the bravery they have to challenge convention. It is not flippant. Ultimately, I think they have to restructure their society to keep it alive. Changes for flex time ( Tammy should not have left school that she loved )and new blood. King's Colony would be beautiful to have for a neighbor, and the world would be blessed if they grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV