Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 06:21 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times

Advertisements

Is anyone watching this on Nat Geo???? I grew up near Amish and the Hutterites are much more worldly ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 07:32 AM

5,526 posts, read 7,116,718 times
I recorded it, and will watch this weekend...

Old 06-08-2012, 07:52 AM

2,107 posts, read 3,014,617 times
I'm watching it, interesting. Also watch Amish-out of order.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:36 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,209,661 times
Darn, forgot about it! I'll catch it sometime. I've been watching "Amish:Out of Order" also.

A busload of Hutterites came into the Burger King I was woking back in the 80's and that was the first time I had ever heard the word "Hutterite", I had called them Amish. The women I spoke with were pretty old and not a wrinkle on the face. I know neither Amish nor Hutterite women have an easy life but they all show what makeup does to a woman's face.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:50 PM

689 posts, read 2,059,107 times
I'm taping it for a friend who grew up in Montana and has friends in one of the colonies. I saw just a couple minutes of the end of the first episode. A mother and daughter arguing and "the elders" on their way to talk about the girl.

Is this a true representation of the Hutterite life, or is it like most of the shows these days, showing all the bad about people, even if they have to make it up?

Old 06-08-2012, 05:42 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,141,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
I'm watching it, interesting. Also watch Amish-out of order.
Same here!

Old 06-09-2012, 09:25 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,773 times
I love this show! And Out of Order: Amish.

I grew up near Amish country in Ohio and my husband grew up near a lot of Hutterites in South Dakota and I got to meet a lot of them when I lived in South Dakota for 6years. Very different from what we know of course, but I can respect their hard work

Old 06-09-2012, 01:13 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,959,151 times
I've been watching both and I'm really impressed with Mose Gingerich and his attempts to transition the young people leaving the Amish. His own search for peace and spirituality seems so sincere, and his revelation about his mistreatment at the hands of his father may have helped him to find that peace.

As for the Hutterites, I'm not so sure there is a lot of sincerity in this series. There is a lot of drama that I don't believe the elders would allow to be shown. Bertha seems to be enjoying her role of being shunned. It seems strange that agreeing to be on TV and then going against the rules of the Colony by sending her boys to high school - surely she knew they'd be found out? Something that was said following the cattle sale, that they weighed less than anticipated and so were worth less than they planned and they didn't know how they would make up for the shortfall - maybe that's why the NatGeo show drew them in, with the promise of payment.

The boys want to play football at school, the daughter wants to date a runaway from another Hutterite colony - holy cow, how do they ever keep people living there? I'm reserving judgement on this one.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:12 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,611,912 times
My first time meeting Hutterites was way back in the late 1970s when I worked in a motel in Seattle - a Hutterite family brought a child to be treated in Children's Hospital there. There were two women and one man, so I just assumed at the time that they practiced polygamy - but I guess they don't.

The thing about this series that has shocked me most is how they all swear so much, male and female!!! And so much beer drinking - guess they're German, all right!

And yes, they DO seem very aware that they are being filmed. Maybe the producers picked the most liberal possible colony and they agreed upon the action with them before hand - bad behavior has consequences, and so on.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:27 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,959,151 times
One of the women listed the three levels of Hutterism(?) and theirs is not the strictest. Their spirituality seems secondary to their determination to live off the land and be self-sufficient and apart from the "world". I guess the elders have to have a heavy hand and use intimidation and threat of shunning to keep the rest of them in line. They don't seem as nearly as strict as the Amish, or as religious, but they still retain the hair and dress that sets them apart from today's society. Strange, but not for me to judge. They'd probably think I was pretty different, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV