Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 12:55 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,372,166 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever noticed or wondered why Hollywood hasn't had any TV dramas or sitcoms with American Indians as the lead actors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 07:23 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,331,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Has anyone ever noticed or wondered why Hollywood hasn't had any TV dramas or sitcoms with American Indians as the lead actors?
Arctic Air starring Adam Beach (Ojibwa).
Into The West (mini-series) starring a whole bunch of Native Americans
Power Rangers starring Jason David Frank (Tohono O'odham)
Twin Peaks starring Michael Horse (Yaqui, Mescalero Apache, Zuni)

etc.

Next question?

Old 06-12-2012, 07:26 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,352,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
Arctic Air starring Adam Beach (Ojibwa).
Into The West (mini-series) starring a whole bunch of Native Americans
Power Rangers starring Jason David Frank (Tohono O'odham)
Twin Peaks starring Michael Horse (Yaqui, Mescalero Apache, Zuni)

etc.

Next question?
I was reaching into the depths of my memory to pull Twin Peaks out of there! Did Twin Peaks have actual Native American characters? I can't remember--but I thought there was a show that did.

Interesting question...

Old 06-12-2012, 07:30 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,955,893 times
Does F-Troop count?

Old 06-12-2012, 07:52 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,505,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
I was reaching into the depths of my memory to pull Twin Peaks out of there! Did Twin Peaks have actual Native American characters? I can't remember--but I thought there was a show that did.

Interesting question...
Northern Exposure? That's what I was thinking of. I don't remember Native American characters in Twin Peaks, but that was so long ago. It would make sense since it took place in the Northwest.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:34 PM

I'am talking about American Tv shows with Native Americans as the lead characters and that center around Native American people. Why no Native American oriented sitcoms for example?

Old 06-13-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
I'am talking about American Tv shows with Native Americans as the lead characters and that center around Native American people. Why no Native American oriented sitcoms for example?
Integration? The American Indian (Native American) people I know are mixed blood and just part of "regular" American society. I don't know. American Indian tribes are all very different from each other, too. A show depicting Navaho people, for example, would not have anything in common with an Eastern Woodlands tribe. Are you American Indian? What would you like to see?

Old 06-13-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Are you American Indian? What would you like to see?
Naw,I'am Black(African-American). I was just curious about why we've rarely seen Native American oriented shows on American TV. Like there have been many Black oriented shows since the 70's on up to today and some Latino shows here and there but none centered around Indians/Native American lead characters.

One explanation I've heard that may explain some of this is that Hollywood too often wants to keep Native Americans in the past through westerns and will rarely portray modern day Indian life. Maybe that attitude towards them is a part of the problem. Or is it more about their smaller population size?

Old 06-13-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Naw,I'am Black(African-American). I was just curious about why we've rarely seen Native American oriented shows on American TV. Like there have been several Black oriented shows since the 70's on up to today and some Latino shows here and there but none centered around Indians/Native American characters.

One explanation I've heard that may explain some of this is that Hollywood too often wants to keep Native Americans in the past through westerns and will rarely portray modern day Indian life. Maybe that attitude towards them is a part of the problem.
Interesting because one tribe I'm involved with (I'm not a member and I have many different nationalities, plus a multitude of European nationalities) was just talking about how anglo Americans see American Indians (a term most "Naive Americans" seem to prefer) as the western tribes you see on TV. As an African American (you) it would be like saying why aren't there more shows depicting (insert African country). Of course there are reservations across this country, maybe that would make a great documentary, maybe even a sitcom. I don't think it's a conspiracy, though.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:46 AM

10,033 posts, read 9,513,888 times
Quote:
Naw,I'am Black(African-American). I was just curious about why we've rarely seen Native American oriented shows on American TV. Like there have been many Black oriented shows since the 70's on up to today and some Latino shows here and there but none centered around Indians/Native American lead characters.

One explanation I've heard that may explain some of this is that Hollywood too often wants to keep Native Americans in the past through westerns and will rarely portray modern day Indian life. Maybe that attitude towards them is a part of the problem. Or is it more about their smaller population size?
The Native American population is less than 2%, so not a large target audience. The bottom line is profit and producers are not going to spend the money unless they are somewhat sure they have a show that will make money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV