Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2018, 05:41 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,362,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
While I love the show and haven't missed any episodes, the nuns (even if they are not Catholic) supporting a beauty pageant seemed really far fetched.

And let's face it, any type of state-run institution, such as an orphanage or a permanent home for the infirm who could no longer live with family were pretty dismal places during the 60s. These were places for the absolute last resort.
In what way are they not Catholic? I don't understand this remark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 05:46 PM

29,756 posts, read 34,449,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
They're Anglican.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...ss-a-show.html

Old 04-02-2018, 05:49 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,362,456 times
How does that change things?

Old 04-03-2018, 11:54 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,015,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It seems like everyone was off their game in this episode. The whole Magda plot was weird--why introduce her just to send her away? That could easily be a case of the week. And the family dealing with Huntington's disease, can you imagine Sister Evangelina allowing those kids to be walking around in dirty clothes or living in filth? She'd be rallying the troops and giving everyone baths and clean clothes.

I think the point of the Magda plot was to show how different the attitudes toward abortion were in Communist countries at that time. I wonder if the cover-up is going to cause problems in the future too. After all, she did obtain the drugs from them. I would imagine that the fact that she could just walk in and administer that to herself would reflect poorly on them. Then they decided not to report it to the authorities.

And Trixie did clean the house. But you can give kids baths and clean clothes and they will just be dirty again in a few days. They needed an ongoing sustained effort. Truly heartbreaking situation though.

I don't really understand Trixie's decision to break up with the dentist. Can someone enlighten me?

Old 04-03-2018, 12:40 PM

31,947 posts, read 27,074,534 times
Quote:

Few persons know other religions besides Roman Catholics have female holy orders. Most also assume Protestants got rid of brothers, monks, nuns and sisters during the Reformation and far as UK is concerned after Henry VIII broke from Rome and sacked/looted the monasteries, confiscated Catholic lands, oh and judicially murdered a few score or so in the process.

Keeping with their roots nurses in England are called "sister" for that reason; earliest providers of nursing care were the brothers and sisters of Roman Catholic and Anglican orders. It also explains why some of the female UK nurse head gear resembles the veils or coifs of religious orders.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:55 PM

31,947 posts, read 27,074,534 times
Quote:
I was surprised to learn that early birth control pills posed a hazard for women. When I started taking them in 1968 I don;t recall any specific dangers or warnings about them.

And yes, it was a lovely season finale. So sad to see it end and have the long wait for a new season.
As with so many other medications or treatments, especially those concerning females, early birth control pills were not 100% safe. Medicine then did not understand fully the female body and or side affects of giving large doses of estrogen, especially over long periods of time.
A brief history of the birth control pill - The pill timeline | Need to Know | PBS

https://case.edu/affil/skuyhistcontr...2012/pill.html

Levels of smoking by both men and women were off the charts in post war Europe and United States. We know now tobacco companies and others did know of the dangers but kept things locked up, and or ignored. Certainly more should have been done to warn women about the dangers of smoking and cardio-vascular disease while on the pill, but there you are then.

One must remember the mindset of medicine then; replacing or giving high doses of estrogen was supposed to be "normal" and would solve all sorts of "female complaints". These ranged from painful menses to issues with menopause. It wouldn't be until rather recently that Premarin and other estrogen replacement therapy ceased being routinely prescribed for women having *difficulty* with menopause.

Have not watched CTMW since original series (based upon the book) ended as am not a fan of PBS/British television new trend in extending series to pull in money, but the series does do a very good job of highlighting issues relating to women that many would rather sweep under the carpet.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:15 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,344,095 times
What is wrong with Barbara? I hope she isn't going to be leaving also. This show is having too many deaths and cast changes lately. If they kill off Barbara I'm going to be very upset.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:50 AM

29,756 posts, read 34,449,009 times
I still like the show, but I think it's jumping the shark a bit. It's lost some of the charm and humor that was so great at the beginning. It might be intentional, but the nuns are hardly in it anymore--Sister Evangelina and Sister Julienne were forces to be reckoned with, and now they're a.) dead and b.)relegated to the background. I just can't see how the show is going to continue to limp into the future, as the NHS gets more established and more women trust the hospitals.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:54 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,015,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I still like the show, but I think it's jumping the shark a bit. It's lost some of the charm and humor that was so great at the beginning. It might be intentional, but the nuns are hardly in it anymore--Sister Evangelina and Sister Julienne were forces to be reckoned with, and now they're a.) dead and b.)relegated to the background. I just can't see how the show is going to continue to limp into the future.

I think this is intentional. When they show the three of them singing, you are reminded how their numbers are dwindling. I absolutely love Sister Monica Joan. I really miss Sister Evangelina.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:57 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,344,095 times
SPOILER ALERT! Sorry I don't know how to use the spoiler thing.

Well Barbara died in last night's episode. Between the numerous cast changes and fewer and fewer babies being delivered I am not loving this show like I used to. I enjoyed the mother's and their stories and they used to be two or three in the earlier seasons. Now we seem to get one baby delivered a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV