Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 01:23 PM

11,649 posts, read 12,727,120 times

Advertisements

We have already had discussions about the historical events on this forum. https://www.city-data.com/forum/tv/18...hannel-36.html

If you go to the History Channel website, the producers discuss it and they have explained and discussed the differences in a variety of interviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 03:36 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,913,446 times
Duplicate thread, by the way.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/tv/18...y-channel.html

Old 06-10-2014, 04:36 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,522,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoodnutt View Post
Hi Group,

Who else out there just LOVES Vikings on History Channel?
I have a question that perhaps someone could answer....

Who is the Group that sings the intro song to the show?

Each week, when it comes on, I turn the volume up to 10, cup my ears, close my eyes and listen to the words really carefully!
They sound like a Scandinavian Group, as the English is very hard to understand.
I've emailed The History Channel, but never heard back, and nothing is listed on The Vikings website.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

Irv in Connecticut
Hello CTwoodnutt, There is already an active thread on Vikings. I have combined your thread with the active thread.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:41 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,718,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
its a good show but if your basis on if you would like it or not is based upon how historically accurate it is then pass.
It seems inappropriate to car about historical accuracy for a television series about someone who is, at best, a legend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
While the individuals said to have been his sons are historical figures, it is uncertain whether Ragnar himself existed.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:46 AM

22,931 posts, read 28,310,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It seems inappropriate to car about historical accuracy for a television series about someone who is, at best, a legend.
About the character specifics ... yeah, you're right.

But when the show just completely ignores vast swathes of detail about Viking and English culture, history, politics, etc., it becomes too much.

Given that this is the History Channel (I know; ha-ha), I was at least hoping for a drama set in the world of the Vikings. Instead, based on the episodes I've seen, it's basically Sons of Anarchy with boats instead of motorcycles.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:25 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,618,220 times
It's not a documentary.

It's not even an original storyline. Charismatic leader, jealous brother etc.. Good show tho'.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:56 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,278,671 times
Ragnar probably existed but his acutal life may not be as portrayed. And they haven't really dealt with the mixing of the Danes and the English when their farmers settled down together since the show just got near the time. But whats amazing is the town and clothes and lifestyle of the Vikings is being shown with as much accuracy as possible. They aren't portrayed as evil conquers but their culture has both deep family connections and violent norms. Just watch and don't judge and see them as people who lived in a different time. Nor are the Anglo saxon Brits shown as especially nice warlords either. I like that they main players are believable.

Whats really cool is after the first season they built Viking ships in authentic designs and sailing methods and taught the actors how to sail them. When you see the ship pull off in the harbor, its the actors actually sailing her. That is something all of them say is like a time trip and they love those scenes.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:24 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,618,220 times
Hurry up new season..Damn.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:47 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,957,054 times
Looks like it will be here Feb/March of next year. Also looks like they will concentrate more on battles than drama. I wish they didn't do that - a few quick battles here and there are ok, but the drama is what made this show interesting.

Spoiler
http://airherald.com/vikings-season-3-ragnar-and-his-warriors-attack-paris-a-main-character-to-die/16764/

Old 11-18-2014, 04:09 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,278,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Looks like it will be here Feb/March of next year. Also looks like they will concentrate more on battles than drama. I wish they didn't do that - a few quick battles here and there are ok, but the drama is what made this show interesting.
Spoiler removed so it won't quote. That is the historical fact. I like that they are following it. I hope they extend it to the establishment of the Danelaw and the merging of cultures. My grandfathers family line came from anglo-scandinavian mix dating back very far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV