Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you like how Lost Season Finale played out?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 23 36.51%
It was just OK 13 20.63%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:43 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,183,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
And Miles may have been born on the island but we didn't see anything to confirm this, we just saw him as an infant. Ethan's mother was supposed to leave the island to give birth but didn't make it off in time.
The program was for them to leave two weeks before the due date to have the child off-Island. That was probably because the Dharma Initiative didn't have a full staff of OB-GYNs and facilities to handle complications.

I assume Miles was born off-Island, but we still haven't figured out why he can commune with the dead, and it was hinted that the Island had something to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking
Fake mother of the brothers said that they will never be able to hurt eachother, then a few scenes later, Jacob is beathing the crap out of " brother" then throws him in a river face down. WHAT?
I think she meant they couldn't kill each other. The MiB was still alive when he floated into the cave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 01:50 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,338,858 times
Just caught up on DVR. I was profoundly disappointed. Are the writer's implying Jacob is some kind of grown up mommies-boy? I didn't like this episode.

Read the other comments...I got the impression the fake mother was protecting the island, maybe the world, by keeping the smoke monster in the cave. Jacob (killed?) tossed his brother in there, which released the smoke monster. Smokie will assume the unnamed brother's form.

How did the mother wreak so much destruction on the other people?

Old 05-13-2010, 02:32 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,037,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micoastiemom View Post
okay, have finally figured this thing out. Jacobs brother is named glen childs and the reason he needs to get off the island is so he can go to chicago and run against peter florrick for illinois' state attorney,..... Right?

bingo!!! , lol!

Old 05-13-2010, 02:37 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,212,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Just caught up on DVR. I was profoundly disappointed. Are the writer's implying Jacob is some kind of grown up mommies-boy? I didn't like this episode.

Read the other comments...I got the impression the fake mother was protecting the island, maybe the world, by keeping the smoke monster in the cave. Jacob (killed?) tossed his brother in there, which released the smoke monster. Smokie will assume the unnamed brother's form.

How did the mother wreak so much destruction on the other people?

I am assuming it was Smokey doing in the village. Did the "mother" call it forth to destroy it?

I sure felt sorry for Jacob's brother when he found his village and it's people destroyed.

I don't think either the "mother" or Jacob killed the brother. I think what was ever in the "light" killed him. I think the brother's body going into the "light" gave Smokey the opportunity to escape from that tunnel.

It did sound like the "mother" was protecting the world.

Good eppie but made more questions for me than resolve the ones we already have!

Old 05-13-2010, 07:27 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,649,438 times
We still don't have an actual explanation of the smoke monster, what it really is, whether it existed before MIB, who else may have been the smoke monster besides him, etc. I think I read somewhere that they weren't going to explain the smoke monster in Across the Sea. Maybe in the finale?

Old 05-13-2010, 07:44 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,267,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
We still don't have an actual explanation of the smoke monster, what it really is, whether it existed before MIB, who else may have been the smoke monster besides him, etc. I think I read somewhere that they weren't going to explain the smoke monster in Across the Sea. Maybe in the finale?
Well, my take is that the cave turned MIB into the smoke monster. She knew it would be worst than death. The smoke monster took over the soul of MIB.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:02 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,537,709 times
What are you betting? There are only 2 episodes left IIRC. Are they going to be able to pull all the loose ends and differing plot strings together in a way that makes sense?

Old 05-14-2010, 01:00 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,942,830 times
What about Richard, Ben and Miles? I wonder how those characters will come into play at the end.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:23 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,155,249 times
I found it interesting that Jacob and his "mother" like to pretend they're taking the high road and protecting the island, then when the opportunity presents itself, his mother killed that poor woman and Jacob quite literally beat the crap out of his brother, much like he did with Richard. Seems there is a feeling among the "protectors" that anything done "for the good of the island" (murder, violence, etc) is okay.

I don't think that Jacob's brother is the smoke monster. I think that when Jacob pushed his brother down the hole, it released the smoke monster from its captivity and then took the form of the first thing it saw (MIB). Jacob's brother is dead...smokey just takes human form when it needs to (Christian, Locke, Ben's Daughter, the MIB). I was thinking of that scene when the MIB and Jacob were talking on the beach and the MIB said "do you know how bad I want to kill you?" and Jacob seemed very nonchalant. Seems he understands that the smokey is using his brother's image but really isn't him.

Jacob's mother protected the "light" and tried to keep Smokey from getting released. Now that its released, Jacob's job was to keep it on the island. Since Jacob is dead (the "loophole"), someone has to keep Smokey from getting off.

BTW, did anyone else notice the similarities of Jacob's "mother's" clothes and those who lived in the temple with Doggin?

I think it's also relevant to the conversation that Jacob and Richard had when Jacob explained that the wine jug and cork were like the island and evil...Jacob pushing his brother down the hole unleashed the "cork" and if smokey can get off the island in human form, it can take the form of anything it wants and chaos and violence will take over the world.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:25 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,890,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
What about Richard, Ben and Miles? I wonder how those characters will come into play at the end.
Yeah, I'm sure it will be spectacular! Miles' abilities have not yet been used to the fullest (but neither were Walt's).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV