Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 01:51 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,664,074 times

Advertisements

The Voice is so good, I can't get into Idol anymore. I finally stopped watching when I just couldn't take the sad stories anymore. That was after having to skip auditions because of crazy people being made fun of.

I will tune in towards the end though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 02:21 PM

5,319 posts, read 9,004,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Anyone want to go out on a limb and guess who gets eliminated next?

Their studio recordings really reveal a more polished version of their performances. For example, C.J. singing Invisible, it sounds very little like what he did on the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOD5wfy8gHs

or Jessica: She reminds me so much of Stevie Nicks only with her own unique voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_U_6EgrprQ

Alex Preston, unbelievably good "Story of my Life":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyMHYAwbcTg
CJ sounds MUCH better in that version! Thanks!

The opening music of the song Jessica performed sounds very similar to the intro to the Fleetwood Mac song "Dreams". Guess it would make people think of Stevie Nicks? I agree her voice does sound like Stevie Nicks.

And Alex sounds a lot like Paul Simon. Wonder if he will eventually do a Simon & Garfunkle song?

Last edited by RD5050; 03-26-2014 at 02:36 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 07:40 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,710,708 times
What's 40' long and has 8 teeth?

The front row of a Keith Urban concert.

That was funny!

Old 03-26-2014, 11:40 PM

5,350 posts, read 8,580,795 times
I thought this was the best night of any of them so far. I actually voted for people other than just Caleb.

I thought these were exceptional song choices and for some of them, its the first time I really understood why they are in the finals.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:45 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,257,320 times
Jena Irene is really starting to grow on me. There's something about her voice that I really, really like Still think that Caleb will win this year.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:57 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,414,546 times
I don't get why they criticized Alex for his performance, I thought it was great!
And then they did that shoe-thing in the middle of it which was funny, but a little disrespectful to leave him hanging there like that.
Did anyone catch what Jennifer said to Harry that they bleeped out? I got 'ef-fing a-hole' but not sure.
The gummy bear thing was funny. They are fooling around a lot this season, which makes for a nice comedy break, even though they leave the contestants standing up there while they go off on a tangent.

Caleb! Dude! Yes!

Although I love CJ, I think his time on Idol is short. Same with Majesty.

You know what I look forward to every week? Seeing what kind of insanity Malaya is going to put forth. The girl is just wild and cracks me up. I don't know that she is a strong enough singer - tends to yell at the top end and loose melody at the bottom end - But she is a riot and I hope she stays for several more weeks.

Jena is really improving her performances, she's a natural at working the crowd. Reminds me a little bit of Katy Perry.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:22 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,842,471 times
Caleb was amazing on that Led Zeppelin song, as was the band. Following him had to be hard, but Jena rocked it! I would love to see them do a duet, like Ryan suggested.

I am so enjoying the judges this year. Unlike in the past, they actually give the singers thoughtful, helpful tips. I also enjoy their interaction with each other. Still like "The Voice" better, though.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:42 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,486,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
Still think that Caleb will win this year.
Ok, who do u think will be second?

Old 03-27-2014, 09:22 AM

5,319 posts, read 9,004,464 times
Caleb was fantastic again yesterday. His stage performance was spectacular!

Anyone who didn't watch this old 2011 Caleb YouTube video of him singing Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin, will really appreciate it after his Zeppelin performance last night:

Led Zepplin Whole Lotta Love Cover - Caleb Johnson - YouTube

Also, it's funny that we were just discussing here that Jessica sounds like Stevie Nicks, and then she performs Fleetwood Mac's Rhiannon yesterday. Talk about coincidence?

Last edited by RD5050; 03-27-2014 at 09:30 AM..

Old 03-27-2014, 10:47 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,676,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
The Voice is so good, I can't get into Idol anymore. I finally stopped watching when I just couldn't take the sad stories anymore. That was after having to skip auditions because of crazy people being made fun of.

I will tune in towards the end though.
I like watching The Voice too sometimes. But they have yet to produce a winner who has become a star, or whose name I even remember. So, to me that show is more about the fun of the journey; who wins doesn't matter.

Whereas Idol, whatever it's shortcomings, does take true unknowns, people who were waiters, farmers, students, and gives them a chance to become a real recording artist and star.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV