Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 11:58 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,460,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I was raised on a farm so I found this show interesting with a lot of eye candy to look at in the brothers on the farm. Can't believe that hasn't been a thread on this show on GAC.

The brothers reminded me when my dad would hire boys to help us bale hay in the summers.
When and where does this show air. My interest has been piqued
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 12:13 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,250,461 times
I'm watching episode three of the first season right now and they're butchering chickens and I have to kind of wonder about their choice of breed(s) for butchering.

It looked to me like they were butchering layer-type (or "dual purpose" birds), and it has been my personal experience that the Cornish X is by far the most efficient breed to raise for meat - ready to butcher in 6-10 weeks and extremely meaty.

Whenever I had Cornish X ready to butcher, I would round up some of my extra layer-type roosters for butchering, too, and there was a HUGE difference in the quality; the layer-type weren't worth much for anything other than boiling up for broth.

Also, I had to laugh when they had an escapee - you would think any chicken farmer worth his salt would have a couple of long-handled fishing nets on hand just for that scenario.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I'm watching it on-line here:

http://netmov.tv/season/4111

You have to jump through some hoops to get past the ads, but I don't have t.v.

You can go back to the very first episode of the first season if you're like me (I hate coming into an already established show several seasons in).

Old 01-10-2014, 02:30 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,181,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Thursday nights at 9pm on GAC Great American Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I'm watching episode three of the first season right now and they're butchering chickens and I have to kind of wonder about their choice of breed(s) for butchering.
The season you are watching they were just getting into chickens I believe so they were trying different breeds. At least that is what they did when they started getting into pigs too. They make mistakes but they learn from them.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:

The season you are watching they were just getting into chickens I believe so they were trying different breeds. At least that is what they did when they started getting into pigs too. They make mistakes but they learn from them.
I just watched episode four and they touched briefly on the breed of their "meat birds," which are called "Freedom Rangers."

I've heard the name but didn't know anything about them, so I did a quick google search and it sounds like they are comparable to Cornish X.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Ok - I'm two episodes in, and while I admire Mom and wish that I myself had even a fraction of her energy and drive, I do find her bossiness and "my way or the highway" attitude off-putting, especially when it comes to her daughter.

The boys seem to handle it well, and she will even defer to them somewhat, but I sense some issues between mother and daughter, maybe even a little not-so-friendly competition.

Like I said, I'm only two episodes in, and my opinion may change down the road, but that's the way I'm seeing it for now.
It has nothing to do with competition. She comes from a large family of assertive women. It can be off-putting when you address a concern and you're slammed with a forceful response. At first you're flabbergasted and in the same brief second you realize that she's right. It's just a matter of saying what you mean and moving on.

You can't raise a large family without being tough. Her kids wouldn't be hard workers if they were raised with unclear boundaries. Remember, she's not just raising a huge family, she's running a family business. It's impossible to do without structure. You can't have a billion kids and be a pushover or you'll end up with a bunch of high school drop outs and drug addicts.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's impossible to do without structure. You can't have a billion kids and be a pushover or you'll end up with a bunch of high school drop outs and drug addicts.
I don't know - I raised five boys on my own and I'm the first to admit that I'm more than a bit of a pushover and there isn't a drug addict or high school drop out in the bunch. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Anyway, I'm bummed - the site where I've been watching the show doesn't have episodes five and six ("file deleted") and I, so far, have been unable to find them anywhere else. I haven't checked, yet, to see if the site has the remaining first season episodes (seven through ten).

Ugh. I'm not going to be happy if I get screwed out of the rest of the first season. But, it looks to me there won't be any problems with seasons two and three (at this point).

Old 01-11-2014, 10:47 AM

Well, this is weird.

One of the sites that yesterday said the file had been deleted, this morning has all sorts of links to episode five.

I don't know what happened, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Last edited by Cinebar; 01-11-2014 at 11:23 AM..

Old 01-11-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I don't know - I raised five boys on my own and I'm the first to admit that I'm more than a bit of a pushover and there isn't a drug addict or high school drop out in the bunch.
I was being dramatic. There is a big difference between five children and ten children. You weren't running a family business that depended upon your children as a workforce for the literal survival of the family. The King children didn't grow up on a hobby farm.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
My peeve is about Joe he brought in yet another 'crowd drawer' for the community and hardly anybody showed up. He tries all these side plans trying to make money off of everything which a business needs but he pushes it to far. He's a poor business manager needs to let mama do it.
You might not be aware but the majority of the farm business is owned by the three older brothers. The farm is approximately 200 acres. 150 of those acres were bought by the boys. Freedom Farms actually the boy's business, not Lisa's. Joe is the CEO. Lisa has side businesses and a small amount of land she bought after the divorce. I didn't realize this myself. I always assumed Lisa's acreage was part of the family farm divided up after the divorce. It turns out that's not so. She must have used some of the divorce settlement to buy approximately 50 acres, or whatever amount of the remaining 50 acres is owned by her instead of her sons.

GAC’s Farm Kings: 10 Siblings, 1 Goal — to Make Farming Cool Again | GAC News & Notes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV