Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 01:40 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,366,175 times

Advertisements

The guy who played Howard Sprague was also Ralph Malph's father on Happy Days.

Floyd was on I Love Lucy in an episode as Little Ricky's music teacher.

Otis played the host of the cartoon show on The Brady Bunch where Bobby was in an ice cream eating contest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 02:19 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,063,131 times
I just watched the episode with William Christopher the night before last - the young doctor who is new to Mayberry. That guy was also in Gomer Pyle USMC as Gomer's buddy, after Ronnie Schell was no longer in the barracks with Gomes.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:11 PM

44,376 posts, read 20,091,210 times
I just finished watching the episode from Season 2 with Bill Bixby as its guest star. I'd forgotten about that one. It's the episode where Bill played a smart-alecky young man driving a convertible who ran a truck off the road. The character's name was Ron Bailey. Young Ron's father was a wealthy man who "could buy anything he wanted in the state," including Andy's badge, according to Ron. Andy and Barney put Ron in jail for a few days, till the judge could come for trial. During those few days, Andy took Ron fishing with him and Opie and also took Ron to Sunday dinner at home. Ron learned from watching Andy discipline Opie that young'uns need to "stand on their own two legs" instead of expecting their daddies to bail them out every time they got into trouble. In the end, Ron told the truth about the accident and took his due lumps.

Another lesson learned.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:57 PM

Ok, the two I watched tonight were "Dinner at Eight" where Aunt Bee leaves for an overnight visit and Opie's supposed to be with his scout troupe. Andy is looking forward to "batchin' it up", but Aunt Bee tells Goober that Andy's going to be lonely, so Goober decides he's going to spend the night with Andy and cook spaghetti. While Andy's out Goober takes a phone call from Howard and one from Helen, but he mixes them up when he finally remembers to tell Andy about the calls - after Andy has already eaten a spaghetti dinner. Andy shows up at Howard's house for dinner, but they (Howard and his mother) didn't invite him, but rather than make Andy feel bad she whips up a spaghetti dinner. Then, after Andy returns home he gets a call from Helen and Goober remembers that it was Helen who invited him to dinner. Andy hurries over to Helen's because her uncle is in town and they have a spaghetti dinner!

The second episode was (forgot the title) where Andy goes to visit Barney in Raleigh because there's about to be an opening at that department. Little does Barney know, the opening is because he is going to be fired for being such a bungling idiot! Barney's living with a family of supermarket robbers and of course, he tells them all the confidential police stuff. Andy figures it out real quick, and he sets a trap for the thieves, but doesn't tell blabbermouth Barney. Andy and Barney are inside the supermarket when the robbers come in. They flip on the lights and Barney is surprised to see the family in there, but he's so stupid he thinks they are there to shop until Andy tells him to keep holding his gun on them. Andy set it up so that Barney is the hero who caught the robbers and Barney gets to keep his job, and in fact, is moved to a better desk.

I LOVE these shows!!!

Old 04-05-2014, 04:48 PM

44,376 posts, read 20,091,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Ok, the two I watched tonight were "Dinner at Eight" where Aunt Bee leaves for an overnight visit and Opie's supposed to be with his scout troupe. Andy is looking forward to "batchin' it up", but Aunt Bee tells Goober that Andy's going to be lonely, so Goober decides he's going to spend the night with Andy and cook spaghetti. While Andy's out Goober takes a phone call from Howard and one from Helen, but he mixes them up when he finally remembers to tell Andy about the calls - after Andy has already eaten a spaghetti dinner. Andy shows up at Howard's house for dinner, but they (Howard and his mother) didn't invite him, but rather than make Andy feel bad she whips up a spaghetti dinner. Then, after Andy returns home he gets a call from Helen and Goober remembers that it was Helen who invited him to dinner. Andy hurries over to Helen's because her uncle is in town and they have a spaghetti dinner!

The second episode was (forgot the title) where Andy goes to visit Barney in Raleigh because there's about to be an opening at that department. Little does Barney know, the opening is because he is going to be fired for being such a bungling idiot! Barney's living with a family of supermarket robbers and of course, he tells them all the confidential police stuff. Andy figures it out real quick, and he sets a trap for the thieves, but doesn't tell blabbermouth Barney. Andy and Barney are inside the supermarket when the robbers come in. They flip on the lights and Barney is surprised to see the family in there, but he's so stupid he thinks they are there to shop until Andy tells him to keep holding his gun on them. Andy set it up so that Barney is the hero who caught the robbers and Barney gets to keep his job, and in fact, is moved to a better desk.

I LOVE these shows!!!
Oh, I loved both of those episodes! The "Dinner at Eight" one was hilarious! Although I haven't seen that episode in quite some time, one detail I remember from the show is that each of those who cooked the spaghetti told Andy that they had a secret ingredient that made their recipe the best. The ingredient was oregano. I think it was Howard's mom who was very offended when Andy guessed the "secret" herb.

I watched the famous "pickle" episode a couple of days ago and howled. Poor Andy, Barn and Opie, when they had to eat 8 quarts of substituted store-bought pickles so Aunt Bee would make another batch to enter in the county fair.

There was never a bad episode in that show's entire run.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:36 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,366,175 times
The ingredient was oregano. It was Helen who got mad since she was the third one to fix him dinner and by then he could guess what it was. It was a color episode so that's porbably why you haven't seen it in a while.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
The ingredient was oregano. It was Helen who got mad since she was the third one to fix him dinner and by then he could guess what it was. It was a color episode so that's porbably why you haven't seen it in a while.
Yes, and Helen's uncle is the one who made the sauce with the "secret" ingredient that Andy was "never gonna guess what it was", and then he said "Let me guess - oregano!"

I watched two episodes last night - trying t remember which ones they were. Oh! I remember - Howard goes on a local TV talent show with his jokes that he personalized using the Mayberry characters and they got all offended - until people started recognizing them from the show and Howard's jokes.

I think the other one was the milk delivery man with Dolly the horse who wouldn't eat because she was involuntarily "retired" because the dairy wanted the milk man to deliver milk in a truck.

I might have actually watched that one a couple nights ago and saw another episode last night. I watch 2 per night, and the older I get, the harder it gets to keep my episodes straight!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV