Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 07:44 AM

4,352 posts, read 4,743,295 times

Advertisements

Avant garde is meant to push the boundaries, and then elements of that will trickle down to what people wear on a daily basis. Even within fashion there's a spectrum - from couture, to high fashion and what gets shot for the magazine editorials, down to ready to wear and then knock off's of what you see on the red carpet.

How boring would Project Runway be if they only made things that you found in Kohl's, Dress Barn or The Gap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 02:36 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,175,689 times
Well I enjoy watching the show, just to see what they create, even if it's unwearable. And I agree, as art, it's ok the avant garde part.

But watch Heidi each time. What does she wear? Very fashionable and beautiful but certainly not like any of that off-the-wall stuff they are producing. And I agree, very few of us are stick thin and 6' tall so most of that stuff would not be bought.

We see some of that on the runway red carpet, but I believe it is totally different than real life.

It brings to mind the hats worn by the royal girls in england when the future king got married. Look what a firestorm that produced!

Old 10-18-2015, 05:24 PM

50,457 posts, read 64,317,889 times
Fashion forward, fresh designs are what they are looking for. If they dumb down to fill the TV season, then we are the ones who suffer. Every season, there are new fresh innovative designers coming up and I look forward to seeing what they can produce.
I really don't know why the show keeps changing all the challenges every season. They should just keep the best ones and watch how the new fresh talent approaches them. The show could go on forever by just choosing the best and brightest upcoming designers every year. If I ruled the world, I would give the designers plenty of time, and plenty of budget and watch what kind of magical designs came out of them.
Anyway, I look forward to the finalists and the visits to their studios. That is my favorite part of the show.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:04 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,832,172 times
MY issue with the show in general and Kelly winning in particular is the inconsistency of the judges.
Kelly's was costume-isque and gimmicky. Tim said it was a throwback to the 19th century and Kelly rolled with that even though she had NO idea initially of such a thing.
IMHO Edmund's design was right on and was clearly a winning look.

The judges have said before and will again that someone's design like Kelly's was an epic fail. It's a roll of the dice whether they like something or not. It isn't a given and that leads to confusion on my part because I can't respect the judges opinions nor understand what they want. Ever!

Old 10-19-2015, 09:50 AM

4,352 posts, read 4,743,295 times
Quote:
Anyway, I look forward to the finalists and the visits to their studios. That is my favorite part of the show.
Totally agree!

Old 10-22-2015, 09:24 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,805,517 times
Wow! Just wow. I hope Tim Gunn uses his save. It doesn't look like he does....

Old 10-22-2015, 09:30 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,394,874 times
I saw the runway show but missed the judging. Who went home? Hope it was not Edmund. Can someone post a spoiler?

Old 10-23-2015, 03:37 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,832,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I saw the runway show but missed the judging. Who went home? Hope it was not Edmund. Can someone post a spoiler?

sorry-it was Edmund and I scream,"FOUL" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
Hoping Tim Gunn will use the save. At the end it did not show him saying,"we have to say good-bye"
I took that as good news for now.

Kelly wins another challenge.

Again I thought they were all epic failures.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:14 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,805,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
sorry-it was Edmund and I scream,"FOUL" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
Hoping Tim Gunn will use the save. At the end it did not show him saying,"we have to say good-bye"
I took that as good news for now.

Kelly wins another challenge.

Again I thought they were all epic failures.
Agreed! Pippy do you recall if they have done this before? Edmund's was awful, however is work for the season phenomenal. I thought (I could be wrong) that they have sent designers to fashion week because of their past work.

I thought it was a failure. Kelly's I thought was different and interesting, and agree she should have won. (I didn't personally love it). The rest blech. HATED Ashley's fabric!!

Old 10-23-2015, 07:49 AM

7,398 posts, read 5,512,445 times
I'm OK with the three ladies being in the finale. Don't count Edmond out yet. I have a feeling the Tim Gunn save will make an appearance at the beginning of the next episode. We did not see Tim say goodbye to Edmond or tell him to pack up his things. Maybe there will be a last competition between the four with the three winners going on to Fashion week. They've done that before.

Although I liked most of the designers this season, I liked how they got along, no fighting, but as far as talent went I thought everyone was just so-so. No one blew me away and I still don't have a favorite who I'm rooting for.

I'm looking forward so see what everyone has to show now that they can do what they want and not have to do challenges with garbage and other stuff that was stupid or out of their comfort zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV