Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 04:49 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,411,384 times

Advertisements

So what was the deal with Rebecca in the cabin, freaking out, locking all the doors - and did I hear banging, like someone was trying to get in? I was not sure if it was a part of Randalls 'shroom hallucinations or if it was something that had really happened.
I feel like I missed something.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:34 PM

2,525 posts, read 2,081,076 times
Did anyone catch the comment Randall made abt Rebecca...he said 'I want her to hurt as bad as I did'...

Made me think of the upcoming tragedy w/Jack, and his words may ring true. ^^^^^

Old 11-30-2016, 07:28 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,713,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMNan View Post
So what was the deal with Rebecca in the cabin, freaking out, locking all the doors - and did I hear banging, like someone was trying to get in? I was not sure if it was a part of Randalls 'shroom hallucinations or if it was something that had really happened.
I was wondering about that too.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:50 PM

977 posts, read 1,110,881 times
I love this show! I think maybe the idea behind the scene with Rebecca "going crazy" in the cabin is to demonstrate her desire to keep them all safe, to protect them, and to keep anyone from taking or harming her children. After Randall "sees" this he begins to forgive her. (He's not totally there yet, since he wouldn't hug her when he talked to her at her house, but he did relent and agree to being with her and the family at Christmas.)

I sure felt a lot watching this episode. I never knew my birth father---he abandoned us before I was born. I think all of the information he gave my Mom was fictional, as I've never been able to find even a trace of him in any records. It always bothered me that I was "unwanted" and I think it bothered me even more when it seemed my stepfather didn't want me, either. (He was abusive) It's hard to feel like you don't measure up, that there must be something wrong with you. Of course, as an adult I can process it better, but doesn't take much to tap into those bad feelings. Once my Mom casually mentioned she had heard from my birth father and that he had a couple other kids. I was about 12 years old at the time. I eagerly asked her all sorts of questions but she refused to say anything else, just told me that he was no good and to stop asking. It hurt. So I had 2 fathers who didn't want me, then eventually a husband who dumped me after a very long marriage. I'd say my track record with men isn't very good, lol! Those feelings of loss and betrayal never really go away----you just bury them really deeply and get on with your life, except on rare occasions when something triggers that response.
This episode was one that brought tears to my eyes. (has happened before, though!)

The writing seems pretty darn good to me....I wish I could save some of the lines. (Was watching "Timeless" tonight, too, and felt the same way). Great writing showing depth and sensitivity.

Edited to add that I also felt so very bad for William. That scene where Rebecca visits was heart breaking.... (Yes, they are not real people, lol, but it still touches my heart)

Last edited by artangel; 11-30-2016 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: additional comments

Old 11-30-2016, 10:07 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,600,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMNan View Post
I think she had acute anxiety about Randall being taken from her. And keeping everyone safe in general.

although it was a hallucination for Randall, it was shown to US as reality.

I cried for William. When Rebecca fled and then wrote him that he could never see his son. He was clean for 5 years. So excited to teach him things. Sad. For both of them.

I loved the martial arts thing. All the men taking turns holding Randall on their backs and promising to protect and guide him. As they had done for all the boys before him.

Especially touching to me was that Jack is white and no one told him 'you can't raise a black child right'. They accepted him into their community.

There are too many things to remark on in this episode. It was great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
I love this show! I think maybe the idea behind the scene with Rebecca "going crazy" in the cabin is to demonstrate her desire to keep them all safe, to protect them, and to keep anyone from taking or harming her children. After Randall "sees" this he begins to forgive her. (He's not totally there yet, since he wouldn't hug her when he talked to her at her house, but he did relent and agree to being with her and the family at Christmas.)

I sure felt a lot watching this episode. I never knew my birth father---he abandoned us before I was born. I think all of the information he gave my Mom was fictional, as I've never been able to find even a trace of him in any records. It always bothered me that I was "unwanted" and I think it bothered me even more when it seemed my stepfather didn't want me, either. (He was abusive) It's hard to feel like you don't measure up, that there must be something wrong with you. Of course, as an adult I can process it better, but doesn't take much to tap into those bad feelings. Once my Mom casually mentioned she had heard from my birth father and that he had a couple other kids. I was about 12 years old at the time. I eagerly asked her all sorts of questions but she refused to say anything else, just told me that he was no good and to stop asking. It hurt. So I had 2 fathers who didn't want me, then eventually a husband who dumped me after a very long marriage. I'd say my track record with men isn't very good, lol! Those feelings of loss and betrayal never really go away----you just bury them really deeply and get on with your life, except on rare occasions when something triggers that response.
This episode was one that brought tears to my eyes. (has happened before, though!)

The writing seems pretty darn good to me....I wish I could save some of the lines. (Was watching "Timeless" tonight, too, and felt the same way). Great writing showing depth and sensitivity.

Edited to add that I also felt so very bad for William. That scene where Rebecca visits was heart breaking.... (Yes, they are not real people, lol, but it still touches my heart)
The unwanted part was heartbreaking. The writers are awesome. When Jack said 'You were not a choice. You were a fact'. Adopted children are not really comforted, I don't think, by being told they are special for being chosen.

I just love these writers ..........

Last edited by Beretta; 12-31-2016 at 07:57 AM..

Old 12-01-2016, 12:34 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,209,555 times
Picked up for another 13 episodes

Old 12-01-2016, 12:39 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,855,970 times
Such a good show!!

A tear jerker every time!

Old 12-01-2016, 03:49 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,285,583 times
I actually hated Rebecca this episode.

She was cruel to William, and to Randall as well.

She also lied to her husband.

Nope, not feeling love for Rebecca.

Even if she was 'doing the right thing - she had YEARS to tell him.

She gets not pass from me.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:00 AM

2,525 posts, read 2,081,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Picked up for another 13 episodes

Yay !!

Old 12-01-2016, 11:15 AM

28,970 posts, read 30,332,663 times
Quote:
artangel I love this show! I think maybe the idea behind the scene with Rebecca "going crazy" in the cabin is to demonstrate her desire to keep them all safe, to protect them, and to keep anyone from taking or harming her children. After Randall "sees" this he begins to forgive her. (He's not totally there yet, since he wouldn't hug her when he talked to her at her house, but he did relent and agree to being with her and the family at Christmas.)
I absolutely love this show...it examines, how when we're young, we think we're doing the right thing, for our loved ones, however, it may not be, and when a child looks back on a parent, no matter how old they are, they can find fault within the decisions the parents made, until they actually have it happen to them.

As a parent, you want so badly to do the right thing for your children...but it doesn't always look like it is the right thing to others...or to the children when they reach adult hood.

I agree, Rebecca was wrong in not allowing the son and father a relationship...and I cannot imagine, no matter how much they loved him or tried to make him feel normal, he felt like the odd man out.

I also feel so badly for his father...the man chose to give the child up...to give the child a better life...but my heart ached for him, when Rebecca ran out of his apartment...was she right to keep them apart?
I don't know, what do you think. His father was weak, drank, into drugs? I don't know if that would have driven Randall in the wrong direction?

Quote:
I sure felt a lot watching this episode. I never knew my birth father---he abandoned us before I was born. I think all of the information he gave my Mom was fictional, as I've never been able to find even a trace of him in any records. It always bothered me that I was "unwanted" and I think it bothered me even more when it seemed my stepfather didn't want me, either. (He was abusive) It's hard to feel like you don't measure up, that there must be something wrong with you. Of course, as an adult I can process it better, but doesn't take much to tap into those bad feelings.
I never knew my real father either, after my mom became pregnant, he said I wasn't his? And that I also wonder about, b/c in those days, most men didn't do that? However, there is always the chance that he was, but I just don't believe so? It doesn't bother me, as a child growing up, I felt rejected, but, now as a grown up, I'm faced with the thoughts of "maybe she doesn't even know who he is".

Quote:
Once my Mom casually mentioned she had heard from my birth father and that he had a couple other kids. I was about 12 years old at the time. I eagerly asked her all sorts of questions but she refused to say anything else, just told me that he was no good and to stop asking. It hurt. So I had 2 fathers who didn't want me, then eventually a husband who dumped me after a very long marriage. I'd say my track record with men isn't very good, lol! Those feelings of loss and betrayal never really go away----you just bury them really deeply and get on with your life, except on rare occasions when something triggers that response.
yes, of course it hurt you, but most parents back then, didn't discuss those things with their kids, yanno? I know my cousins tell me stories of their father having a brother they never knew about, b/c he was a drunk?

I never thought of it as a betrayal...to me, it was like, "you never miss what you've never known", and I was fortunate in a way to have had a family take me in, when I was 5 years old and raise me like their own. It wasn't anything legal or thru Child Welfare, we lived across the street from them and my mother was never home.

Quote:
yes, it's pretty heavy duty...tugs at the heartstrings....

Quote:
yes, I to feel badly for William, however, he seems to have a pretty good attitude about it all, and handles it, by accepting what is....allowing some spiritual sense to take over and realize, it is what it is and he is now greatful for what he has.

I believe by accepting what he did, for the betterment of his child, he is at peace most of the time, but it's still heartbreaking.

Very well done show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV