Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 11:18 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,990,705 times

Advertisements

I have mixed feelings about the (season?) finale. And I know that earlier in the thread, some people said that this show might become a regular series, however, I was really expecting it to only be a 10 episode miniseries, therefore, I thought that they were going to wrap everything up on Friday's episode. Also, I really wanted to see the wizard of Oz get what was coming to him.

But I was thinking that what they should have did was film two finales... and depending on how the ratings went for the series, they should have either aired the 'loose-ends' version if the ratings indicated that they would renew the series, or, if the ratings indicated that the show wouldn't be picked up for a second season, then they should have aired a version of the finale where all the loose ends were tied up and the story actually had an ending.

Also, since some people like to buy TV series on DVD, well, if this series doesn't get renewed for a second season, THEN WHO WOULD WANT TO BUY THIS SERIES WITH THE WAY THAT IT ENDED?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 06:26 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,721,458 times
There will be some people. And in reality, the first season ending was a decent enough ending for the series. "They lived happily ever after..." is not necessary. Our imaginations can pick up the story where it left off and decide for ourselves how the loose ends get tied up - or even if they do. One of the good things about this series is that it wasn't a sterile-clean version of the story.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:50 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,482,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
I have mixed feelings about the (season?) finale. And I know that earlier in the thread, some people said that this show might become a regular series, however, I was really expecting it to only be a 10 episode miniseries, therefore, I thought that they were going to wrap everything up on Friday's episode. Also, I really wanted to see the wizard of Oz get what was coming to him.

But I was thinking that what they should have did was film two finales... and depending on how the ratings went for the series, they should have either aired the 'loose-ends' version if the ratings indicated that they would renew the series, or, if the ratings indicated that the show wouldn't be picked up for a second season, then they should have aired a version of the finale where all the loose ends were tied up and the story actually had an ending.

Also, since some people like to buy TV series on DVD, well, if this series doesn't get renewed for a second season,
Quote:
THEN WHO WOULD WANT TO BUY THIS SERIES WITH THE WAY THAT IT ENDED?
It wouldn't be the first show that was canceled on a cliffhanger or with loose ends.

I hope it comes back though, Dorothy has to go back to Oz to find Jane.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:03 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,768,472 times
Dorothy not only has to find Jane. She has to save her. Not to mention the rest of Oz since she unknowingly released the Beast Forever. I guess having Ozma on the throne with the combined might of 2 Cardinal Witches wasn't enough to stop him. Unless Glinda for some reason took the Beast's side. I couldn't be alone in thinking that she killed Lucas when she stabbed him in the side during their fight. Now comes the 2 month wait till May upfronts to see if it gets a second season.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:35 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,990,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
And in reality, the first season ending was a decent enough ending for the series. "They lived happily ever after..." is not necessary.
Not for me.

Quote:
One of the good things about this series is that it wasn't a sterile-clean version of the story.
That's for sure. lol

Old 03-13-2017, 06:29 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,872,751 times
Quote:
There will be some people. And in reality, the first season ending was a decent enough ending for the series. "They lived happily ever after..." is not necessary. Our imaginations can pick up the story where it left off and decide for ourselves how the loose ends get tied up - or even if they do. One of the good things about this series is that it wasn't a sterile-clean version of the story.
I didn't want a happy ending but I did want a smoother coming together of all the stories. Everything seemed so choppy. The season finale did not have me wanting a second season. I think the only character I really cared about was Jack. Early on I cared about Lucas but after the scene where he nearly choked the life out of Dorothy I was completely done with the character. I really really wanted to enjoy this series. Just too many unlikable characters and not enough I was rooting for.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:38 AM
bUU

We saw the series very differently. I never cared about Jack or Lucas. It was all about Dorothy and West, and to a lesser extent, Ozma.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:40 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,872,751 times
Quote:
We saw the series very differently. I never cared about Jack or Lucas. It was all about Dorothy and West, and to a lesser extent, Ozma.
For me Dorothy took too long to develop. My expectation was for her to go into hero mode much sooner. I thought Ozma was bratty the entire series. If they had just toned down her moodiness I think I would have liked her more. I really wanted to see Lucas and Dorothy rise to an epic romance and pretty much take on the world (The Wizard/Glinda) but instead I was incredibly let down with how that turned out. Also Jack and the princess I thought were going to be the against all odds couple to root for. But that was another letdown. So by the end of the series what did we really have to be excited about? Ozma rose to power......ok. West helped usher witches to a powerful place in Oz....ok. But was that what the audience was rooting for throughout the series? I don't see myself watching a season two if they make one. I think I was looking for something more like Once Upon A Time.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:22 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
For me Dorothy took too long to develop. My expectation was for her to go into hero mode much sooner.
The typical complaint about American television is that it ignores the natural pace of life. Dorothy developed in a believable manner; that may have appeared strange but only because of our expectations crafted by our past viewing.

Quote:
I thought Ozma was bratty the entire series. If they had just toned down her moodiness I think I would have liked her more.
Ozma had her entire identity ripped away from her by reality. By all rights, even if you allow her only one episode for stage, it would have taken her almost the entire series to get through the natural phases of grief associated with that kind of a loss of identity.

Quote:
I really wanted to see Lucas and Dorothy rise to an epic romance and pretty much take on the world (The Wizard/Glinda) but instead I was incredibly let down with how that turned out.
Again, we're trained to expect the quick and easy triumph - the fairy tale. What we got was more realistic, messy, complicated - and more relevant.

Quote:
Also Jack and the princess I thought were going to be the against all odds couple to root for. But that was another letdown.
A tragedy; there's a difference.

Quote:
I think I was looking for something more like Once Upon A Time.
We already had one of those. I was hoping for Emerald City to contrast with the Wizard of Oz fairy tale in the same way Mad Max contrasts with Star Trek's clean vision of the future of our race.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:44 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,482,376 times
Quote:
The typical complaint about American television is that it ignores the natural pace of life. Dorothy developed in a believable manner; that may have appeared strange but only because of our expectations crafted by our past viewing.

Ozma had her entire identity ripped away from her by reality. By all rights, even if you allow her only one episode for stage, it would have taken her almost the entire series to get through the natural phases of grief associated with that kind of a loss of identity.

Again, we're trained to expect the quick and easy triumph - the fairy tale. What we got was more realistic, messy, complicated - and more relevant.

A tragedy; there's a difference.

We already had one of those. I was hoping for Emerald City to contrast with the Wizard of Oz fairy tale in the same way Mad Max contrasts with Star Trek's clean vision of the future of our race.
Great comments. I like all of your observations. This didn't follow the neatly tied up package of happily ever after. Characters failed and some died. It made the story all the more interesting.

At first I was afraid it would be another "Once Uoon A Time" which I gave up on several seasons ago. But "Emerald City" is very different. I hope it returns and continues at the sane pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV