Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 06:36 AM

50,443 posts, read 64,273,051 times

Advertisements

I’ve enjoyed the show very much. I need to go back and read the book again, but I really don’t care how closely E follows the original.

As mean as some of the characters are, and as annoying as Anne can be, I still get a kick out of any story with a spunky, smart girl in it. Anne is a real trial to her straight laced foster parents, but it’s sweet the way she opens their eyes to new ways of looking at things.

Also, it looks like the actress might have gotten her teeth straightened a bit between seasons. Thank goodness, because her teeth were really distracting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 08:20 AM

51,070 posts, read 24,571,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’ve enjoyed the show very much. I need to go back and read the book again, but I really don’t care how closely E follows the original.

As mean as some of the characters are, and as annoying as Anne can be, I still get a kick out of any story with a spunky, smart girl in it. Anne is a real trial to her straight laced foster parents, but it’s sweet the way she opens their eyes to new ways of looking at things.

Also, it looks like the actress might have gotten her teeth straightened a bit between seasons. Thank goodness, because her teeth were really distracting.
It's amazing how similarly we think about the show.

I wondered about the teeth myself.

One thing I always try to remember when I have read a book and then see a television program or movie from the book is that writing is one way to tell a story, and a movie or teleivison show is a completely different way to tell a story. Additionally, in this case, television producers had to ask if a story written 110 years ago is going to capture many viewers today.

I enjoyed the show.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:26 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,150,704 times
im sorry but megan fellows will always be anne of green gables to me . I just fell in love with the production that also starred colleen Dewhurst (RIP) and the wonderful Richard Farnsworth (RIP) . that production cannot and should not be improved upon it was perfect .

Old 07-30-2018, 11:38 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,859,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
im sorry but megan fellows will always be anne of green gables to me . I just fell in love with the production that also starred colleen Dewhurst (RIP) and the wonderful Richard Farnsworth (RIP) . that production cannot and should not be improved upon it was perfect .
Agreed. There is but one. None can even come close.

I tried watching the one (A with and E)on NF before I cancelled my membership and it is awful. Couldn't get through one episode. So over the top and contrived. Nothing of the quality of the real thing. I have the DVD's and will watch the "real" thing when I want to.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:32 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,859,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post

I have the DVD's and will watch the "real" thing when I want to.
There is no "real thing". They are both creative works of fiction.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
There is no "real thing". They are both creative works of fiction.
No, Freddy, the DVD is the "real thing", first produced in 1908.

I have not seen the DVD that a couple of people are talking about...with Dewhurst. I'm sure it's good. But, that's one version of -- as you point out -- a fictional character. The Netflix series is a different version. How nice there's a choice.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:04 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,859,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, Freddy, the DVD is the "real thing", first produced in 1908.
I didn't know made DVD's in 1908.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I didn't know made DVD's in 1908.
It was a joke with a point.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:05 AM

22,956 posts, read 28,379,500 times
The original Megan Fellows version stuck pretty close to the books. Beginning, Middle, End, and they were done. It's a great adaptation.

Anne with an E is an ongoing series inspired by the books. Totally different approach. I don't object to them making changes, adding things, modifying others, etc. You have to do that to make this work. What bugs me is their forcing modern-day views into early 20th century Nova Scotia. It's anachronism. It would be like doing a series based on Cleopatra where her real motive was to give Egyptian women the right to vote. It just doesn't work. Some of these episodes are coming across like Anne of Green 90210.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The original Megan Fellows version stuck pretty close to the books. Beginning, Middle, End, and they were done. It's a great adaptation.

Anne with an E is an ongoing series inspired by the books. Totally different approach. I don't object to them making changes, adding things, modifying others, etc. You have to do that to make this work. What bugs me is their forcing modern-day views into early 20th century Nova Scotia. It's anachronism. It would be like doing a series based on Cleopatra where her real motive was to give Egyptian women the right to vote. It just doesn't work. Some of these episodes are coming across like Anne of Green 90210.
Perhaps it doesn't work for you, but the IMDB rating is 8.5, which is far higher than most motion pictures earn, and a Google survey posted that 97% of the respondents "liked this show".

As with most entertainment, it really comes down to personal taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV