Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 10:46 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
LuAnn isn't gracious. She thinks being gracious is about veneer. She's the Dorian Gray of NYC. Hiding the ugliness beneath a self-contained shell, she happily slides the knife in, while whispering to her victim, "Be quiet, it will all be over in a moment." It's not gracious to chide guests, it's not gracious to put down others. LuAnn uses etiquette as a sledgehammer, because deep down she's insecure about her claim to status, and if she can denounce the people around her, in her mind she builds herself up. Manners and etiquette are not meant to exclude people, they are meant to include people. That's something that Alex does understand, and LuAnn doesn't. And that's why, regardless of how awkward Alex can be, she always has more class than LuAnn. Because she's trying to expand her world, while LuAnn is trying to keep her social world exclusive.
Two thumbs up!
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 11:30 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
LuAnn isn't gracious. She thinks being gracious is about veneer. She's the Dorian Gray of NYC. Hiding the ugliness beneath a self-contained shell, she happily slides the knife in, while whispering to her victim, "Be quiet, it will all be over in a moment." It's not gracious to chide guests, it's not gracious to put down others. LuAnn uses etiquette as a sledgehammer, because deep down she's insecure about her claim to status, and if she can denounce the people around her, in her mind she builds herself up. Manners and etiquette are not meant to exclude people, they are meant to include people. That's something that Alex does understand, and LuAnn doesn't. And that's why, regardless of how awkward Alex can be, she always has more class than LuAnn. Because she's trying to expand her world, while LuAnn is trying to keep her social world exclusive.
I tried to rep you, but it said I had to "spread it around" before giving you more reps. Outstanding post. You are a perceptive one.

Miss Manners gives out etiquette advice left and right ... in her BOOK. But she is the first to say it's VERY BAD ETIQUETTE to correct other people unless they are your own children.

LuAnn does not understand this. She actually violates the rules of good etiquette when she corrects and chides people.

Check out these links where the women were psychoanalyzed. These were all written in 2010. She nailed LuAnn.

LuAnn - RHONY’s LuAnn de Lesseps – Compensatory Narcissistic Personality Disorder | A Real Housewife's View

Jill - RHONY’s Jill Zarin- The Classic Narcissist | A Real Housewife's View

Kelly - Kelly Killoren Bensimon – Update – Schizoaffective Disorder | A Real Housewife's View

Ramona - RHONY’s Ramona Singer – Cyclothymia (Cyclothymic Disorder) | A Real Housewife's View

Bethenney - RHONY’s Bethenny Frankel- Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder | A Real Housewife's View

She didn't analyze Alex or Sonja.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:46 AM

I think that most successful people have some OCD. You kind of have to.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think that most successful people have some OCD. You kind of have to.
I'm actually reading Bethenney's book "A Place of Yes" right now. It's a self-help book, but really interesting. She talks about her childhood and every relationship and business mistake she ever made. But she talks about what she learned from it and how it helped down the road.

She done so many different things! Gives you a better idea of her background than the show can delve into. I like the book.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I'm actually reading Bethenney's book "A Place of Yes" right now. It's a self-help book, but really interesting. She talks about her childhood and every relationship and business mistake she ever made. But she talks about what she learned from it and how it helped down the road.

She done so many different things! Gives you a better idea of her background than the show can delve into. I like the book.
Great...now you have made me want to read the book. Toss it over here when you're done.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:10 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post

Does she mention the other Houewives or the show?

Old 08-05-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Does she mention the other Houewives or the show?
She mentions the show in the context of her life journey. She talks about how she found out about the show, deciding to be on the show, and WHY she went on the show.

It was always about business for her. She had a lot of friends advising her NOT to do the show. She had the BethennyBakes business at the time, but very little money. She didn't want to be the usual "bored rich housewife" that BRAVO loves to cast. She didn't want to get sidetracked by the frivolous stuff.

I never knew it, but she was already working on the SkinnyGirl Margarita before the show was even cast!

She doesn't really talk about the other housewives in detail, except to bring up a few incidents from the show that pertain to her life path. She does talk about leaving and said the others didn't say a word to her when she got her own show.

One thing I can tell you, is that she isn't kidding when she called herself "the runaway bride". She was engaged a few times! She ended up deciding she wanted to find her own security and make her own money even though it would be harder than just marrying it.

I am finding the stories about all the businesses she tried to be interesting. That's my favorite part of the book. There's a lot there I can relate to and some good advice.

The book gives 10 rules for life - I think it's a better read than most self-help books because she is brutally honest about herself. No sugar-coating. She said that's what her fans want from her - they relate to her more because she is willing to talk about stupid things she's done.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:11 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
For what reason?

It's going to tell me I'm deformed?
Not at all. But Romoana's use of the word, however politically incorrect, was used properly in the english language. My friend has one on his arm and he went on to make many millions of $$. Jill treats her bio daughter as if being fat is a deformity as well. There are many things that set us apart. One of my children was born with a congenital birth defect. Sounds baaad but it was temporary and fixed by 1 Yr old with no lasting effects BUT the definition sounds scary.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
married
I have been happily married for 13 years and I don't think people who state this means they have a bad marriage. Mine is great 95% of the time currently.

Last edited by Taboo2; 08-05-2011 at 02:49 PM..

Old 08-05-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Exactly!!!! And I might add that those who think LuLuser is gracious are possibly the "Mean" girl in their real life and that is why they understand her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV