Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 01:17 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieKarm View Post
'Lord of the Rings' TV Series in the Works - Rolling Stone

Just...a resounding NO!!! They will ruin it!

Look what they did to The Gunslinger. It flopped. Probably because...drumroll...Roland Despain is NOT BLACK! That's like making Shaft as some white dude. This pc crap has to end. But that's another rant. This one is some dork wanting to ruin LOTR by doing a remake and making it a tv show.
The casting of Idris Elba as Roland had nothing to do with why it flopped.

That the source material was not adapted properly had everything to do with it.

And what the hell does that have to do with Lord of the Rings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 06:46 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Not sure about this.
Loved loved loved the books, reread them many times over the years.

Liked the production values of the movies but couldn't actually watch them in totality because I hated so much of the casting and the way/acted Frodo and Sam was done. Terrible. Awful. Just can't watch. The other hobbits were also bad.
Actually now that I think of it, all the bits and pieces I've seen on cable over the years were fine except the hobbits. being that Frodo and Sam are big players that explains my problem with LOTR generally.

So if it was done well maybe the TV series would be enjoyable.
I too love the books. And I loved the first movie...right up until Arwen showed up. Her presence was so outside of what happens in the books, it was clear she was only written in to create a love story where none was needed, and as such, she took some key moments away from other characters. Jackson rewrote so much of Tolkien's story to fit his own narrative he destroyed several important characters, such as Frodo and Faramir, and it made the trilogy unwatchable for me.

If you don't like the story then don't make the movie, but don't change it so much that it ruins some of the main characters. I don't trust television to do any better in that regard.

I will say that what Jackson did well was create the world visually. His Middle Earth was beautiful. And I doubt any television production could match it.

I don't have any hope that Hollywood will do justice to the source material.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:05 PM

671 posts, read 445,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I have mixed thoughts on this. I loved the movie versions, so unless these are *really* well done, they would be a let down. And rarely does TV have the money to make them "movie-like". GoT being the exception.

Having said that... I do love these stories, and if they are well done--meaning sharp writing and strong casting--I would enjoy seeing them again, from a new perspective.

I must have missed something . Nothing in that article talked about casting, or race, or PC anything? What the heck are you talking about?
I am talking about directors and producers changing a book story into something politically correct and ruining the book itself. It was used as an example only of why I do not want to see LOTR turned into a tv show that plays on a once a week basis like GoT. They will just screw it all up.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:18 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
I am talking about directors and producers changing a book story into something politically correct and ruining the book itself. It was used as an example only of why I do not want to see LOTR turned into a tv show that plays on a once a week basis like GoT. They will just screw it all up.
This makes no sense. There is no logical progression from your thought to your conclusion.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The casting of Idris Elba as Roland had nothing to do with why it flopped.

That the source material was not adapted properly had everything to do with it.

And what the hell does that have to do with Lord of the Rings?
Yes it did. Those who are super fans of those books did not like the imagery in their heads of Roland being black instead of white. Is that racist? No more than someone refusing to erase the imagery of Shaft played by Bruce Willis, FOR EXAMPLE. And if you read my OP, I stated a few posts afterwards that my comparing LOTR remake to MESSING WITH IMAGERY of what readers have in their heads.

Did you really see Lestat as Tom Cruise??? I damn sure didn't!

The point is...IF they do a remake of LOTR, the one we already have in our heads will not match up with whomever they get to play Frodo and Sam. So no...it's a BAD IDEA.

Get it now or do I need to explain again???

Old 11-04-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
This makes no sense. There is no logical progression from your thought to your conclusion.
Then pass by my threads and posts. Simple, no?

Old 11-04-2017, 09:27 PM

Ok...lets try this again:

They are going to do a remake of The Green Mile. But John Coffey is being played by Hulk Hogan, and Paul Edgecomb is going to be played by Eddie Murphy.

That be ok with you?

Old 11-04-2017, 09:47 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Ok...lets try this again:

They are going to do a remake of The Green Mile. But John Coffey is being played by Hulk Hogan, and Paul Edgecomb is going to be played by Eddie Murphy.

That be ok with you?
You seem to be worked up over a cast that has not even been announced yet. It is still being shopped around, and as your article says it "is a long way from being officially announced, with no writer or director yet on board to reinterpret Tolkien's epic."

Old 11-04-2017, 10:51 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Yes it did. Those who are super fans of those books did not like the imagery in their heads of Roland being black instead of white. Is that racist? No more than someone refusing to erase the imagery of Shaft played by Bruce Willis, FOR EXAMPLE. And if you read my OP, I stated a few posts afterwards that my comparing LOTR remake to MESSING WITH IMAGERY of what readers have in their heads.

Did you really see Lestat as Tom Cruise??? I damn sure didn't!

The point is...IF they do a remake of LOTR, the one we already have in our heads will not match up with whomever they get to play Frodo and Sam. So no...it's a BAD IDEA.

Get it now or do I need to explain again???
Well, going by this argument, no book should ever be made into a movie, because we all have our own image of a character in our heads. Likewise, there should never be any remakes ever. A kind of silly argument because there have been some really good movies made from books, and some really good remakes over the years.

It feels like you are really arguing something else here, with all your talk about being politically correct and messing with imagery and race, and but I'll leave it for other readers to come to their own conclusion about that.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:24 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Well, going by this argument, no book should ever be made into a movie, because we all have our own image of a character in our heads. Likewise, there should never be any remakes ever. A kind of silly argument because there have been some really good movies made from books, and some really good remakes over the years.
Yeah, I don't recall ever watching a movie and having the actor match up exactly to what I imagined the character to look like when reading the book.

I'm watching Harry Potter right now. I think all the actors are great and perfectly cast, but were they who I pictured when I started reading the books 20 years ago? Not at all! I remember picturing Remus Lupin as Richard Dawson (I watched a lot of Family Frud reruns as a young child). The actor who plays Lupin in the movies looks nothing like Richard Dawson, and that's perfectly okay. I never expected my imagination to be the same as anyone else's.

Even when reading Gone Girl, I think the movie cast had already been announced. I still pictured Nick differently than Ben Affleck, but creating that whole world in your head is part of the fun when reading (at least to me).

If LOTR does end up being made into a series, I wouldn't care what the actors look like as long as they're able to make the role their own and play the part convincingly. Do I need someone who looks just like Elijah Wood to play Frodo, certainly not. But if the best actor for the part happens to resemble him, that's okay too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV