Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 12:49 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieKarm View Post
This^^^

I hate when they try to fix something not broken. However, if they did a different story in Middle Earth..I would welcome that as long as they are NOT pc about it. And my OP was an example of how producers just screw things up just to BE pc. Enough already.

Anyway....I would like to see more of Galadriel and how she came to be in that forest, maybe a story about Saurumon or whatever his name is (necromancer bad guy) or the dwarves when they were younger before they hooked up with Bilbo...stuff like that. Just do NOT "remake" the rings story.
I don’t think anyone has the rights to the Silmarillion as it’s still under the Tolkien estate.

There are plenty of interesting series that could be covered, but sadly they take place during the first age, which is off-limits at this point in time. I’d love to see Children of Hurin or something from the Unfinished Tales like the story of the Numenoreans.

The Hobbit (done rather poorly) and LOTR have already been covered, so that really lives little room, unless they decide to adapt the Shadow of Mordor/War games, which are non canon.

The other reason I’m not too thrilled with another LOTR adaptation is that it may hamper the Wheel of Time adaptation that’s supposed to be in the works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 10:06 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I don’t think anyone has the rights to the Silmarillion as it’s still under the Tolkien estate.
Correct.

However, the reason the film rights beyond The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings have never been granted is due in large part to the Estate's management by Christoper Tolkien, who has hated every movie version to date. He has not and will not sell other movie rights to his father's estate.

But the rest of the family hasn't been nearly so ... what's the word? Stringent? Unyielding? And keep in mind that Christopher is now 92. Once he passes, I suspect it's only a matter of time before the heirs sell film rights to The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The Histories of Middle-earth, etc.

If they are done well, there are definitely stories that could make great movie and/or TV shows. I'm not sure the first third or so of The Silmarillion is filmable except as something fantasy/operatic in the vein of Fantasia. But other stories could rival anything Game of Thrones has done, such as ...

Beren and Luthien
The Children of Hurin
The Fall of Gondolin
The Rise and Fall of Numenor
The wars against the Witch-king of Angmar and the Fall of Arnor

The one thing I hope no one ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever writes or films is a sequel to The Lord of the Rings.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:01 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Correct.

However, the reason the film rights beyond The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings have never been granted is due in large part to the Estate's management by Christoper Tolkien, who has hated every movie version to date. He has not and will not sell other movie rights to his father's estate.

But the rest of the family hasn't been nearly so ... what's the word? Stringent? Unyielding? And keep in mind that Christopher is now 92. Once he passes, I suspect it's only a matter of time before the heirs sell film rights to The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The Histories of Middle-earth, etc.

If they are done well, there are definitely stories that could make great movie and/or TV shows. I'm not sure the first third or so of The Silmarillion is filmable except as something fantasy/operatic in the vein of Fantasia. But other stories could rival anything Game of Thrones has done, such as ...

Beren and Luthien
The Children of Hurin
The Fall of Gondolin
The Rise and Fall of Numenor
The wars against the Witch-king of Angmar and the Fall of Arnor

The one thing I hope no one ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever writes or films is a sequel to The Lord of the Rings.
Indeed, Tolkien's world is a goldmine of creativity. There are so many stories scattered throughout that could be filmed, though many segments detailing day-to-day affairs would have to be invented as the Silmarillion doesn't cover them.
The good thing is that Beren and Luthien as well as Children of Hurin have already been expanded into full fledged stories.

The Fall of Gondolin is the one I'm most interested in and it's also the first story Tolkien wrote in this world. I hope we get a full-fledged novel sometime soon.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:47 AM

923 posts, read 1,502,935 times
I agree with the O.P. that there is likely to be "Hollywood casting" (Ex: Bilbo or Frodo's character is changed to being female).
I've seen it too often.
Leave the LotR alone, the books and movie were fine.

If they ever did make the Silmarillion, I'd like to see the BBC do it. Hollywood would just screw it up.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:51 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Quote:
Yes it did. Those who are super fans of those books did not like the imagery in their heads of Roland being black instead of white. Is that racist? No more than someone refusing to erase the imagery of Shaft played by Bruce Willis, FOR EXAMPLE. And if you read my OP, I stated a few posts afterwards that my comparing LOTR remake to MESSING WITH IMAGERY of what readers have in their heads.

Did you really see Lestat as Tom Cruise??? I damn sure didn't!

The point is...IF they do a remake of LOTR, the one we already have in our heads will not match up with whomever they get to play Frodo and Sam. So no...it's a BAD IDEA.

Get it now or do I need to explain again???
No, I need to explain something to YOU:

Generally, movies adapted from literary sagas aren't done so with readers in mind. They're tailored to general audiences, the vast majority of who have not read the books.

Nobody gave a toss what Lestat was "supposed to look like."

Nobody gave a toss that one of the dwarves in Jackson' Hobbit movies resembled an ordinary human.

The only ones who make bones over Heimdall and Roland being black — same actor! how about that? — are, for the most part, white supremacists.

The primary reason for another live-action LOTR adaptation is that it is too soon.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Amen. Screw that.

Especially when we have yet to see Elric of Melniboné brought to the screen.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:55 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
I think it will either be very good or very bad. I'm leaning toward it being the latter but hope I am wrong.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The only ones who make bones over Heimdall and Roland being black — same actor! how about that? — are, for the most part, white supremacists.
But ... but ... a bad-ass black gunslinger is totally unrealistic! Not.

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-bassreeves/

The Life and Times of Deputy U.S. Marshal Bass Reeves | Mental Floss

Badass of the Week: Bass Reeves

Old 11-07-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Ok...lets try this again:

They are going to do a remake of The Green Mile. But John Coffey is being played by Hulk Hogan, and Paul Edgecomb is going to be played by Eddie Murphy.

That be ok with you?
When Michael Clarke Duncan was announced as Kingpin in Fox's Daredevil, were you able to sleep that night?

Old 11-07-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Ok...lets try this again:

They are going to do a remake of The Green Mile. But John Coffey is being played by Hulk Hogan, and Paul Edgecomb is going to be played by Eddie Murphy.

That be ok with you?
No, but it has nothing to do with the races of the actors involved. I would object because Hulk Hogan isn't an actor and Eddie Murphy hasn't made a good movie in over ten years. Eddie Murphy needs a director who can make him play a character and not just be Eddie Murphy. When he does that, there isn't a better movie star around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV