Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 07:49 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times

Advertisements

What you said doesn't really matter if someone doesn't like to hear "bad language"
Appropriate or not to the situation
Some people choose not to eat meat even when prepared by a great chef==
Their choice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 08:49 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,229,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
What you said doesn't really matter if someone doesn't like to hear "bad language"
Appropriate or not to the situation
Some people choose not to eat meat even when prepared by a great chef==
Their choice
I know that, and acknowledged it in the very first sentence of my reply.

What I said was I don't believe they did it for ratings, which you alluded to. I said they did it to give it a gritty realism.

I very specifically said I respect your right to not like it, and not watch because of it.

Read. My. Reply.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:00 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I know that, and acknowledged it in the very first sentence of my reply.

What I said was I don't believe they did it for ratings, which you alluded to. I said they did it to give it a gritty realism.

I very specifically said I respect your right to not like it, and not watch because of it.

Read. My. Reply.
I agree. I’ve never said that everyone must watch Yellowstone, people have the right to do what they want. I’m just saying that it’s unfortunate that the language in the show is what drove someone away.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:58 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
First and foremost, I respect your right to watch or not, for *any* reason. This reply is not about that.

I disagree with your statement about getting more viewers than they would lose. I don't think it was a calculated decision like that. I think that language was a natural flow for that character, at that time. So they used it. Simple as that. I really don't think they thought, "Hey, if we use this cuss word, we might lose 500 viewers, but gain 600".

Honestly, when shows (any show, not this one) have scenes where something amazing happens, and the character says "Oh my" instead of "Oh shyte", that seems fake, since many people would let loose. That's part of what makes cable more realistic. It's not the gratuitous use of foul language, it's the realistic use of it, like the real world.
yeah, I agree, I read somewhere where this woman said, she was offended by the language and the sex scenes, and I wanted to ask her...Do you have children? If so, how were they created? Sex is a normal part of life...a human need, it's not just to procreate...and it's not dirty...or repulsive. It just is, and I'm so glad to see that human beings of this century are taking it out of the closet and not acting as if it is fire and brimstone act that human beings should be embarrassed of or not talk about. Humans make it a bad thing, and it isn't...

I enjoyed the show and as many others have said, think it has promise, and will continue to see what happens.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:41 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
That’s too bad that you’ll stop watching this show because of the strong language.
If the writing had been better overall, I might have made the effort to get past it, but it just doesn’t have enough other redeeming qualities for me to bother.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:59 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
Quote:
First and foremost, I respect your right to watch or not, for *any* reason. This reply is not about that.

I disagree with your statement about getting more viewers than they would lose. I don't think it was a calculated decision like that. I think that language was a natural flow for that character, at that time. So they used it. Simple as that. I really don't think they thought, "Hey, if we use this cuss word, we might lose 500 viewers, but gain 600".

Honestly, when shows (any show, not this one) have scenes where something amazing happens, and the character says "Oh my" instead of "Oh shyte", that seems fake, since many people would let loose. That's part of what makes cable more realistic. It's not the gratuitous use of foul language, it's the realistic use of it, like the real world.
Ah, but here’s the thing: it didn’t feel like it was in context.
The character hadn’t been cursing prolifically up to that point. So there was no context.
It felt like it was thrown in to punch up an otherwise lackluster scene.
Between that and the seemingly obligatory sex against the wall bit, I got the sense that they were just ticking boxes because cable TV.

Context is using that sort of language on “Oz” or “Deadwood,” shows I watched from beginning to end.
And yes, there were many, many, many uncomfortable moments in both of those shows, but it was discomfort born of great art with purpose and intention.
This wasn’t that.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The character hadn’t been cursing prolifically up to that point. So there was no context.
Between that and the seemingly obligatory sex against the wall bit, I got the sense that they were just ticking boxes because cable TV.

Context is using that sort of language on “Oz” or “Deadwood,” shows I watched from beginning to end.
And yes, there were many, many, many uncomfortable moments in both of those shows, but it was discomfort born of great art with purpose and intention.
This wasn’t that.
And "Deadwood" certainly had enough cursing to turn any prude (not that you are one TigerLily) away...

We stopped halfway through and my husband isn't interested in finishing it
I might watch it when it ironing
But compared to the other products Sheridan has written and gone on to produce/direct, I thought this was really ham-fisted and stereotypical in some regards

And there was a lack of context from the very beginning--
Opening with a horrendous accident like it did--w/o any back story or lead in wasn't really the "got 'me hooked" moment he might have envisioned
And that rushed momentum was characteristic of the first hour---
There were 2 hours for the first episode--
He had time to take a more measured approach to introducing his characters and his story lines

I was willing to watch--but being force-fed the story line w/o understanding what I was consuming was almost guaranteed to cause heart-burn...

Old 06-26-2018, 07:34 AM

I did think there is a valid list of topics about the old vs new west that could make this show as important or even more important for a certain set of viewers
If people thought the new Roseanne was meant as a slice of life relevant to "Trump's base" who are supposedly ignored by what is perceived as a more liberal-biased media, then they should also note that the issues forming many of the conflicts in what I saw in the first hour of "Yellowstone" are hot topics in western states...which supposedly are supportive of Trump for many reasons...
Not to say that dynamic is why Sheridan chose to do the show or why others might choose to watch it--
And some of these story lines are issues in any era/location:

The complexities of raising cattle for food with the negatives that process produces (which Costner/Huston characters touched on in that one scene)
The continuing anger among Native Americans re their historic treatment by US
The pressures of growth, government intervention, and private property rights
The complexities of race allied w/money and the lack of it
The access of wealth to political power that doesn't exist for normal people
The conflict between parent/child with opposing social views and grandparents' rights of access--
One issue that was only hinted at (and maybe more after I stopped watching) is water--
Something that will become the overriding issue in our country in the next 10 yrs IMO

And while this show had 4 women at a variety of power levels--the govenor, the senator, the attorney-daughter, the NA teacher-wife/mother of the grandson---I think being set in the West does feature special nuances regarding the place/power of women

So Sheridan potentially could improve going forward--he certainly has enough threads to weave a powerful tapestry if his skills are up to it...

Old 06-26-2018, 07:46 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,082,296 times
The reboot of Battlestar Galactica turned me off for the use of the "frack" word. They thought it was a cute way to say the F word, which if just done a little would have been alright, but they ran it into the ground. I don't even have a problem with cuss words on TV, but they just did it so much, it became a distraction, so much, that it was impossible to enjoy the show.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:01 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

This wasn’t that.
I thought that the language was forced too. I noticed it and if it was "natural," I wouldn't have even noticed it at all. It seems that a lot of shows try to "shock" an audience or try to tell the audience that this is going to be a very "modern" show by inserting a lot of things that would be censored on network TV in the first few episodes. Then, they back off because the narrative takes priority. This happens on HBO and Showtime series too. Not saying that these words and scenes are never used again, but seem to calm down and get used when it "fits" the plot or character in future episodes.

Yellowstone seems to have potential so despite its flaws, I will continue to watch it. I also really liked Kevin Costner's performance. He's going to attract a lot of older viewers and they've got to attract younger viewers by using young, hot actors and show how "modern" they are with language and sex scenes. The sex scenes in particular are very artificial because they are always spontaneous and no one ever discusses forms of protection for pregnancy and disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV