Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 05:29 PM

293 posts, read 191,906 times

Advertisements

Because seems in SF/Fantasy shows stuff like dishonesty like deceiving people,cheating on someone and such and greed appear to be looked down upon. While in regular tv shows,stuff like cheating on someone and deceiving a person seem to be viewed as a way of life. And seems doing the right thing seems admired in SF/fantasy,while in regular shows it is scorned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 05:31 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,772,282 times
SF has gone back and forth between the utopian world of ST:TOS to the gritty world of Star Wars to the utterly bleak and hopeless world of Gibson, Dick and most of the current TV shows. I'm not sure any blanket statement can be made about "honesty" within the genre; it depends on whether the show is utopian, dystopian or flat-out post-apocalyptic.

Firefly comes to mind as a show set in a fairly bleak world but whose main characters mostly prized their integrity.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:04 AM

1,406 posts, read 802,516 times
Have you not seen The Expanse? Dark Matter? Killjoys? Continuum? There's plenty of self-serving despicable behavior.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:47 PM

22,925 posts, read 28,302,797 times
It comes in waves. Science fiction went through the bright-eyed "gee whiz!" phase in the '50s. Then things got dark in the '60s and '70s. STAR WARS came along, and things got more optimistic again. We're now in a more pessimistic phase. THE EXPANSE, WESTWORLD, EX MACHINA, ALTERED CARBON, BLACK MIRROR, and even the recent incarnations of STAR TREK and LOST IN SPACE are significantly darker than their predecessors.

Science fiction tends to reflect the culture. When we're feeling optimistic about the future and things are largely going well for most people, science fiction reflects that --- at least on TV and at the movies. When we're feeling more pessimistic and people are worried about the future, science fiction follows the zeitgeist.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:36 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,714,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Science fiction tends to reflect the culture.
This, with a proviso: Sometimes, we see some creators working to present a contrasting view. I think that's MacFarlane's intention with The Orville, and when push comes to shove, was Roddenberry's intention with Star Trek.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:52 AM

22,925 posts, read 28,302,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
This, with a proviso: Sometimes, we see some creators working to present a contrasting view. I think that's MacFarlane's intention with The Orville, and when push comes to shove, was Roddenberry's intention with Star Trek.
I haven't watched THE ORVILLE. Whatever neuron exists in people's brains that allows them to find Seth McFarlane funny, I am apparently missing. But you're right about Roddenberry.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:26 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,714,613 times
The Orville isn't really a comedy. It's amusing, which is as funny as I would want it to be.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:47 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The Orville isn't really a comedy. It's amusing, which is as funny as I would want it to be.

It's Star Trek with the comedy moved up 1 position. From a 5 to a 6.. And, honestly, the comedy might not be MORE, it's just bigger. Whereas Star Trek might have Data (Or McCoy or whoever you like) say something pithy.. Orville has a character run in with his leg cut off.

They're both Sci-Fi series at the heart.. With a touch of comedy for the 'human element'

I totally missed Orville last night.. Will have to catch it on Hulu.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:05 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,772,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I haven't watched THE ORVILLE. Whatever neuron exists in people's brains that allows them to find Seth McFarlane funny, I am apparently missing. But you're right about Roddenberry.
I would have agreed 100% and bought you a beer, had I not watched and positively loved all 14 episodes so far. Give it a try. It's not nearly as stupid as most SMc stuff, just funny in appropriate doses.

As a similarly cynical friend who loves it even more said, it's... hopeful. In a way we haven't seen for a long time. Nice antidote to the endless grimdark that would make Phil Dick shoot himself.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:37 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,654,133 times
Not as a rule. Many sci-fi/fantasy shows/movies take place in dystopian worlds/places. Very dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV