Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 05:49 AM

37,313 posts, read 60,025,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
But that's just it, if it's a lose lose, then why does TV bother trying to make it less offensive?
I don’t follow that show
But your use of the term “television” is inaccurate for SOME of what you are watching

The show might have started out on cable/television—over public airwaves and subject to FCC standards—
But when it goes to a streaming format—over INTERNET vs public airwaves—then as others pointed out the oversight changes...

You are talking about two different formats with two standards
It may not make sense because to you it is the same show—
But it is the method of transmission that makes the difference

Old 01-07-2019, 07:48 AM

12,426 posts, read 8,217,577 times
The community standards have changed over the years. Lines of dialog that where perfectly accepted in the 1990's are now disappeared with acceptable words overdubbed. Meanwhile concepts which were unacceptable in earlier decades like the "hostess" Loren in the novel and 1953 movie From Here To Eternity was turned back into an actual prostitute when a TV mini-series and follow up one season From Here To Eternity TV show came on in 1979.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:54 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,534,608 times
Time to go watch George.......

https://youtu.be/vbZhpf3sQxQ

Old 01-07-2019, 11:24 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,086,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The community standards have changed over the years. Lines of dialog that where perfectly accepted in the 1990's are now disappeared with acceptable words overdubbed. Meanwhile concepts which were unacceptable in earlier decades like the "hostess" Loren in the novel and 1953 movie From Here To Eternity was turned back into an actual prostitute when a TV mini-series and follow up one season From Here To Eternity TV show came on in 1979.
Oh okay, I thought it would be the other way around, and that the into the future we go, the more inappropriate words would be allowed over time, not the opposite. I mean this is a show with lots of non-family friendly stuff happens in, and some pretty nasty humor. Not that I object, I just find it strange the word 'retarded' isn't allowed, but all this other stuff in the show is okay and allowed.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:43 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,803,883 times
Quote:
Oh okay, I thought it would be the other way around, and that the into the future we go, the more inappropriate words would be allowed over time, not the opposite. I mean this is a show with lots of non-family friendly stuff happens in, and some pretty nasty humor. Not that I object, I just find it strange the word 'retarded' isn't allowed, but all this other stuff in the show is okay and allowed.
Cultural change is not linear. It's very short-sighted to think so.

I'm binging some shows from the late 80s and early 90s. It is uncommon but not rare to hear the N-word - always used in a fairly shocking context and strongly deprecated by the characters, but it's used.

To the best of my recollection, Black Lightning has used the word once, in a passing compound phrase, even though the backbone of the show is the life of black Americans and their inner and outer oppression. It would be completely in line to use the word more frequently... but they do not.

As to why a crass animated series changed from the now-shunned but not completely rejected "retarded" to the trendier "autistic" - I'd still bet more on a freshening of the material for a new audience, just because they could, than on any wish to avoid offense to whatever we're calling the developmentally delayed these days.

I think you're making way too much of a nit, here.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:48 AM

8,811 posts, read 5,117,990 times
Can`t believe the stuff that is allowed on Two And A Half Men. And that is an old show.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Can`t believe the stuff that is allowed on Two And A Half Men. And that is an old show.
A takeaway point from the OP is that shows now on streaming and re-release are sometimes not what was originally aired. Typically, a show was submitted as air-ready to network S&P, who would get back to the production company with fifty little offensive nits to be fixed. ("Limit the kiss between A and B to four seconds.")

The original air master still exists and in many cases is what ended up on DVD or, now, in streaming. My prize example is an episode of Max Headroom in which a character quite clearly yells out, "Aw, sh*t, that was my favorite blanket!" I know the creative team, and one denied the line had ever been written, much less left in a final cut, as there was no way in Aitch-Eee-Double Hockey Sticks that would have passed S&P in 1987.

But there it is on the DVD set and recent streaming releases.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:28 PM

12,426 posts, read 8,217,577 times
Quote:
I think that with the exception of sexuality and gender identity issues and the acceptance of interracial couples we are less free than a generation ago. With politicians using political correct codes as an issue this subject and its relationship to the arts is often caught in partisan bickering

Old 01-07-2019, 01:07 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,086,986 times
Well I guess I am just surprised that a non-politically correct word has to be taken out, but all this other stuff in a show is allowed.

It would be like showing a movie like Irreversible (2002) on TV and the TV producers saying, we need to cut out the word '******', but we can still keep in the brutal rape, and gory murder, and masturbation scene. I couldn't write the word cause this site will not allow the word to be shown.

How are we less free through compared to a generation ago in terms of TV content? Can you give any examples?

Old 01-07-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I think that with the exception of sexuality and gender identity issues and the acceptance of interracial couples we are less free than a generation ago. With politicians using political correct codes as an issue this subject and its relationship to the arts is often caught in partisan bickering
I'd disagree in that these tighter strictures come after 50+ years of allowing everything up to the F-bomb on broadcast TV (selective cases); pendulums swing both ways.

And it's only on open-broadcast TV and radio. Cable and streaming are self-limited by audience perception.

It mildly annoys me to hear Steve Miller sing "funky kicks going down in the city," but then, broadcast radio and Steve Miller himself annoy me a great deal more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV