Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 01:23 PM

508 posts, read 459,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Also, Joe Piscopo should have been there!

Joe Piscopo supports our President so may be the reason he is not included.

I haven't watched SNL in a long time as I was tired of seeing Alec Baldwin, and the cast just isn't as good as it had been in the past, Aidy Bryant especially. When you compare to someone like Kristin Wiig or even Rachel Dratch, well, you just can't compare.

Eddie was great and it was nice to see his iconic characters again, that's the only reason I watched. I skipped through most of the weekend update. I just don't think these guys are entertaining.

My question is, where is Adam Sandler and the Hanukkah song? Would have been nice to see some mention of the holiday, but guess I'm expecting too much from this show now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 02:05 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I stopped watching SNL years ago. It just stopped being funny. When I heard Eddie Murphy was going to host, I had to watch it.

It was HILARIOUS! Eddie Murphy can stand on a stage and just look funny! He is the best!

I thought the BC comment was funny and then moved on. Comedians have a hard time these days. They have to be careful about WHAT they say. That wasn't the case years ago. They would take a headline and beat it to death, in a funny way. Everyone is so sensitive today.

I didn't care for Lizzo. Not sorry to say that I've never heard of her and don't care to hear her again. Didn't like her singing, at all. Sorry, not sorry.

Old 12-25-2019, 09:17 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,073,867 times
Wow that video was kinda XXX rated!

But, It was funny.

eta: i have no idea who Lizzo is either...or where she came from.

Old 12-25-2019, 10:45 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
.eta: i have no idea who Lizzo is either...or where she came from.
She appeared on the scene outta NOwhere as far as I can tell!

Old 12-25-2019, 10:48 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Comedians have a hard time these days.
Speaking of that I am on Episode 5 of a 2 season show on Showtime ---2017-18 -
"I'm Dying Up Here" -all about comedians in LA, trying to make it big in '73...
meaning Johnny Carson's couch.

Old 12-25-2019, 12:16 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,130,500 times
I recorded it and thought it was pretty good, got about 50 minutes of "keep" out of it, the new cast segments were weak, as was the opening segment, which I trimmed down to the last exchange between Biden/Pelosi and Trump just so I could get the "live from NY it's Sat Night" flavor to it. Stage monologue was OK, but Tracy Morgan does not hold up well to comic titans like Murphy, Chapelle, and Chris Rock. C Rock is finally starting to show his age a little, stayed fresh for a long time tho.

Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood was just as good as ever, can you say "squatters rights" boys and girls, lol. The bit with the big screen TV was classic Mr. Robinson, the new gentrification angle was a fun twist, his old neighbors moved to Atlanta, lol.

The cake skit was funny, that's a keeper, Buckwheat was fantastic, R-E-S-P-T-T-D, and Aneese Nameena, lol. Gumbi's appearance on Weekend Update was great, give that man a cigar, really, Gumbi should have been smoking his cigar but that did not dampen his persona much. Most the rest of that segment was crap but for the fox news lady.

Most of the actors totally blew their lines on Black Jeopardy, it was mostly a trainwreck, but I kept it for Murphy doing his Be A Ho pitch, which was the only thing that saved the skit from being a total waste, that and the He Funny pet adoption center ad.

Glad I recorded other past SNL Christmas specials, and was able to watch all my other favorites others have mentioned. I like the one with man and wife stranded on desert island, wife made a watch, telescope, and lawn mower for x-mas presents to hubby, guy made crappy hot pad holders and gave seashells to her, lol. Garette Morris singing Winter Wonderland, that's a classic. Screaming baby Jesus doll skit, lol. Alternative ending to It's a Wonderful Life where they beat the crap out of Potter, Church Chat with Dana Carvey, Steve Martin's X-mas wishes which included all encompassing power and 30 day orgasm, Salted balls skit....

Old 12-25-2019, 01:06 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,229,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
Joe Piscopo supports our President so may be the reason he is not included.

I haven't watched SNL in a long time as I was tired of seeing Alec Baldwin, and the cast just isn't as good as it had been in the past, Aidy Bryant especially. When you compare to someone like Kristin Wiig or even Rachel Dratch, well, you just can't compare.

Eddie was great and it was nice to see his iconic characters again, that's the only reason I watched. I skipped through most of the weekend update. I just don't think these guys are entertaining.

My question is, where is Adam Sandler and the Hanukkah song? Would have been nice to see some mention of the holiday, but guess I'm expecting too much from this show now.
Eddie Murphy, or should I say Gumby, was part of Weekend Update, it was great!

Old 12-25-2019, 08:37 PM

89 posts, read 148,896 times
I enjoy SNL. Always have. I've watched mostly all seasons. As well as past shows like MadTV, Fridays (look it up), In Living Color...etc. All of these shows have good cast members who had not-so-good skits. Personally I don't care for Adam Sandler, but that's just me. I also like Aidy Bryant and her humor. We all have our opinions.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:10 AM

1,161 posts, read 435,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Speaking of that I am on Episode 5 of a 2 season show on Showtime ---2017-18 -
"I'm Dying Up Here" -all about comedians in LA, trying to make it big in '73...
meaning Johnny Carson's couch.

That show is so good! And IMO Season 2 is better than season 1. I hate the fact that it didn't get picked up for a 3rd season
But, if you haven't already, I highly recommend reading the book "I'm Dying Up Here" It's what the series was based on, but in the book they tell the true stories about the comics like Letterman, Leno, Boosler, Robin, Kaufman, etc.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:38 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I recorded it and thought it was pretty good, got about 50 minutes of "keep" out of it, the new cast segments were weak, as was the opening segment, which I trimmed down to the last exchange between Biden/Pelosi and Trump just so I could get the "live from NY it's Sat Night" flavor to it. Stage monologue was OK, but Tracy Morgan does not hold up well to comic titans like Murphy, Chapelle, and Chris Rock. C Rock is finally starting to show his age a little, stayed fresh for a long time tho.

Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood was just as good as ever, can you say "squatters rights" boys and girls, lol. The bit with the big screen TV was classic Mr. Robinson, the new gentrification angle was a fun twist, his old neighbors moved to Atlanta, lol.

The cake skit was funny, that's a keeper, Buckwheat was fantastic, R-E-S-P-T-T-D, and Aneese Nameena, lol. Gumbi's appearance on Weekend Update was great, give that man a cigar, really, Gumbi should have been smoking his cigar but that did not dampen his persona much. Most the rest of that segment was crap but for the fox news lady.

Most of the actors totally blew their lines on Black Jeopardy, it was mostly a trainwreck, but I kept it for Murphy doing his Be A Ho pitch, which was the only thing that saved the skit from being a total waste, that and the He Funny pet adoption center ad.

Glad I recorded other past SNL Christmas specials, and was able to watch all my other favorites others have mentioned. I like the one with man and wife stranded on desert island, wife made a watch, telescope, and lawn mower for x-mas presents to hubby, guy made crappy hot pad holders and gave seashells to her, lol. Garette Morris singing Winter Wonderland, that's a classic. Screaming baby Jesus doll skit, lol. Alternative ending to It's a Wonderful Life where they beat the crap out of Potter, Church Chat with Dana Carvey, Steve Martin's X-mas wishes which included all encompassing power and 30 day orgasm, Salted balls skit....
I believe you meant Schweddy Balls....but, yes.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV