Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 05:40 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times

Advertisements

To me, the best was the original Not Ready For Prime Time Players.

I loved Weekend Update. ("I'm Chevy Chase & you're not.") I especially loved it when Jane Curtin took over after Chevy left. And of course Gilda as both Emily Latella ("Oh that's different. Nevermind, b**ch) & Rosanne Rosannadana. And the Point/Counter Point with Dan Ackroyd. (Jane, you ignorant sl**.)

There was one time, Jane got on and said something like, "Some of you have written saying, 'Whatever happened to that sexy Chevy Chase?' Well, how's THIS for sexy!" And she rips open her blouse. When I saw that, I was stoned out of my mind and I just couldn't believe what I saw! I was like, WHOA!!!!

Some of the other sketches that I liked:

-The Killer Bees
-Land Shark
-The Giant Lobsters
-The Pepsi Syndrome
-Dan Ackroyd as Julia Child
-Coneheads
-Two Wild & Crazy Guys
-Cheesebugger, Cheesesbugger.
-The Thing That Wouldn't Leave

I stopped watching for the longest time and would catch it once in a great while but it just didn't seem the same. There have been a few outstanding performers over the years, Eddie Murphy, Dana Carvey, Tina Fey, to name a few. Today, I will watch the opening & Weekend Update on YouTube. I do love Kate McKinnon. I think she is brilliant.

Over the years, I find that I do like their political satire. That usually cracks me up. "I can see Russia from my house."

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 07:50 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I watched that recent prime time replay of the 1976 show & found myself laughing a lot but also remembered that they had edited 30+ minutes out from the original show.
That's the thing that people forget about the original cast show. I watched all of them. Lots of really bad sketches in the last part of the show. Like the bees, that was utterly stupid. It was obvious they chose the best skits and put them on in the first 45 minutes or so. You don't notice this when they edit out all the filler for hour long rerun shows.

And the show really stunk when all the original cast left. The next two season were terrible. Fridays, the ABC rival/copycat show that aired late Friday night during these years, was much better. But SNL made cast changes and there were many seasons that were great again. Then every 5 or so years casts would change, there would be an off season or two, then it gets good again. But around the mid 2000s I finally gave up on the show, realizing after watching off and on for a few seasona its just not funny and not good anymore

Last edited by unfocused; 01-29-2020 at 08:04 PM..

Old 01-29-2020, 07:56 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
When it was the original cast and I was young, stupid and buzzed.

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh, The Good Ol' Days!

Old 01-29-2020, 10:32 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
When it was the original cast and I was young, stupid and buzzed.
That's no way to go through life, son!

Old 01-30-2020, 07:20 AM

1,785 posts, read 2,382,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
It will always make money. I mean, it's Saturday Night at 11:30pm.. and the production costs on it are negligible. They're not hiring well known people to be in the cast.. So they're not paying them a whole lot..

it's kinda like the fact that America's Funniest Home Videos is still on the air. I didn't know that until a couple of years ago. But.. The timeslot it's in.. Sunday at 7pm. Basically production costs are paying Alfonso Ribiero to host the show and some staffers to go though the videos and taping the show.

I can't imagine that it costs even $100k per show to put that thing on the air. Which is probably the rate they get for a single 30 second commercial.
The hosts only get paid $5,000 and I think the musical guests get paid the same.

Last edited by Aspe4; 01-30-2020 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: added some information.

Old 01-30-2020, 02:15 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
It was better with the original cast, to include Gilda Radner and Jane Curtin. Those were the days!

Old 01-30-2020, 03:31 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
To me, the best was the original Not Ready For Prime Time Players.

I loved Weekend Update. ("I'm Chevy Chase & you're not.") I especially loved it when Jane Curtin took over after Chevy left. And of course Gilda as both Emily Latella ("Oh that's different. Nevermind, b**ch) & Rosanne Rosannadana. And the Point/Counter Point with Dan Ackroyd. (Jane, you ignorant sl**.)

There was one time, Jane got on and said something like, "Some of you have written saying, 'Whatever happened to that sexy Chevy Chase?' Well, how's THIS for sexy!" And she rips open her blouse. When I saw that, I was stoned out of my mind and I just couldn't believe what I saw! I was like, WHOA!!!!

Some of the other sketches that I liked:

-The Killer Bees
-Land Shark
-The Giant Lobsters
-The Pepsi Syndrome
-Dan Ackroyd as Julia Child
-Coneheads
-Two Wild & Crazy Guys
-Cheesebugger, Cheesesbugger.
-The Thing That Wouldn't Leave

I stopped watching for the longest time and would catch it once in a great while but it just didn't seem the same. There have been a few outstanding performers over the years, Eddie Murphy, Dana Carvey, Tina Fey, to name a few. Today, I will watch the opening & Weekend Update on YouTube. I do love Kate McKinnon. I think she is brilliant.

Over the years, I find that I do like their political satire. That usually cracks me up. "I can see Russia from my house."

Cat

Just about anyone can point to their favorite.. personally.. i thought Weekend Update's "Golden" years were the Dennis Miller years.

Kevin Nealon didn't do bad at it, but he wasn't a favorite.. Though, some of the 'guests' he had, such as Opera Man and Cajun Man and so on.. Those were really good. Norm McDonald.. Wow.. That's.. I can say how good and how bad he was at it. I think he's certainly a love him or hate him Weekend Update host.

But.. I have to give credit to the Chevy Chase years, because he kinda set the tone. While I don't think his were the funniest/best years of Weekend Update.. He got the ball rolling on it. And I give him all the credit in the world for that. I mean, you can still pretty much say "Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead" and people know SNL.. Even if they have no idea who the hell Franco was.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:08 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Last Saturday, SNL aired the 1980 episode hosted by Kirk Douglas. This was in the so-called "golden era" of SNL. And most of the show was painfully unfunny. Nothing against Douglas. The writing was just flat. It inspired a smile or two, but no real laughs.

So it just goes to show that even in the era that most consider the show's golden age, they still suffered more misses than hits.

So why has this show survived so long???

KEY & PEELE, MAD TV, and THE CHAPPELLE SHOW put SNL to shame. They manage to make a point and be funny. SNL rarely manages either. Why is this show still gasping along?

Old 02-10-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Just about anyone can point to their favorite.. personally.. i thought Weekend Update's "Golden" years were the Dennis Miller years.

Kevin Nealon didn't do bad at it, but he wasn't a favorite.. Though, some of the 'guests' he had, such as Opera Man and Cajun Man and so on.. Those were really good. Norm McDonald.. Wow.. That's.. I can say how good and how bad he was at it. I think he's certainly a love him or hate him Weekend Update host.

But.. I have to give credit to the Chevy Chase years, because he kinda set the tone. While I don't think his were the funniest/best years of Weekend Update.. He got the ball rolling on it. And I give him all the credit in the world for that. I mean, you can still pretty much say "Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead" and people know SNL.. Even if they have no idea who the hell Franco was.
Agree regarding Dennis Miller being the best Weekend Update anchor.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Last Saturday, SNL aired the 1980 episode hosted by Kirk Douglas. This was in the so-called "golden era" of SNL. And most of the show was painfully unfunny. Nothing against Douglas. The writing was just flat. It inspired a smile or two, but no real laughs.

So it just goes to show that even in the era that most consider the show's golden age, they still suffered more misses than hits.

So why has this show survived so long???

KEY & PEELE, MAD TV, and THE CHAPPELLE SHOW put SNL to shame. They manage to make a point and be funny. SNL rarely manages either. Why is this show still gasping along?
I don't think the first five years of SNL are the best. Maybe because of my age, but comedy just had a different sensibility in the 1970's and early 1980's. As I posted above, my favorite SNL era is 1986 to 1993. The show is 90 minutes so we don't get to see the the really bad sketches when 60 minute reruns come on.

To be fair, Key & Peele, Mad TV and The Chappelle Show have way more time to make material because they're not under the constraints of live television.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV