Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 12:03 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times

Advertisements

I can't figure out how to get it with Directv and a Samsung Smart TV (2017 model). I have Directv for the NFL Sunday Ticket as I'm a lifelong (almost) Broncos fan in AZ. Most of the Samsung apps available are for 2018 models or newer. I'm not going to go out an buy a new TV just to stream a $4.99 a month channel when I'm paying $185+ for Directv. I have an iPad and iPhone, but I like watching on my 60" TV, not the small screen of the iPad or especially, the phone. I love the Discovery family of channels, but I will have to settle for watching the channels on Directv.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 06:13 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
But that would be achieved by streaming the same content that they're showing on TV. But for some reason, they've decided to make new content -- related to the existing TV content -- only accessible to streaming subscribers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And with end result that if a cord cutter wants to actually have access to all of this programming, they have to subscribe to more and more distinct streaming services, which is less of a savings.
See fleetiebelle's answer. If you're a cord cutter (ie don't subscribe to cable), then the app is the only way to watch the Discovery channels.

As for subscribing to more and more services, yes one can go overboard and drive the price up. But this is something people have been wanting for some time - pay only for the channels you want. The expectation that it would be cheaper though was simply a dream.

Old 01-20-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, in other words, profits. If too many people cut the cord they will have trouble finding sponsors. With this new streaming they are making the $4.99 each plus sponsor money, or $6.99 for no commercials.
We are still on the cord since we have not found any other way to get CBUT (CBC Vancouver, B.C. Canada) which is a favorite channel. No way we are going to fork out another $4.99-6.99 on top of the already obscene cable bill of $260/month.
You can stream the CBC via a Roku TV or device for free. You get all 14 channels.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:18 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
See fleetiebelle's answer. If you're a cord cutter (ie don't subscribe to cable), then the app is the only way to watch the Discovery channels.
And it would be fine if the app showed the same content that is on the Discovery channels. But the app is showing new content that ISN'T shown on the channels. So the people who already pay for cable (or streaming subscriptions on which they watch cable channels, like YouTube TV) are getting screwed.

Old 01-22-2021, 02:05 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
What is the end game? To eventually move the Discovery family of channels to all streaming? I still have cable and do some streaming. I like Discovery and some of their family channels, but not enough to add another streaming payment at this time, if it comes to that.

Just another way for them to make money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
I don't have any streaming services. I pay enough via Verizon FIOS that all of the content should already be available to me. If there is new content that won't be made available to the rest of us, that would not be fair. If on the other hand this streaming content will filter down to the regular Discovery channels later in the year, that would be fine.

Same here. No streaming, don't even have a ROKU yet, but tried it a few yrs ago & thinking of getting it again. I just got my cable bill down from $177 to $143/mo, but that's along w/ landline phone & internet too. I always had the Triple Bundle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Im about ready to cancel it. I can get it on my iPad, but trying to get it on my TV is frustrating. Unless it becomes a channel, like prime, Netflix or peacock, I’m out.

Oh? So your regular Smart TV won't play it for some reason? And I assume you didn't need a Roku or something similar since you already have an updated enough TV, right?

Old 01-23-2021, 06:42 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,667,429 times
Is Discovery+ showing the new episodes currently appearing on cable, or just old episodes and special programming? I don't understand how they can duplicate the new content currently on cable because I can't believe their contract allows it.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Is Discovery+ showing the new episodes currently appearing on cable, or just old episodes and special programming? I don't understand how they can duplicate the new content currently on cable because I can't believe their contract allows it.
Discovery+ will be streaming new episodes shortly after they air on cable.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:55 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Just another way for them to make money.

Same here. No streaming, don't even have a ROKU yet, but tried it a few yrs ago & thinking of getting it again. I just got my cable bill down from $177 to $143/mo, but that's along w/ landline phone & internet too. I always had the Triple Bundle.

Oh? So your regular Smart TV won't play it for some reason? And I assume you didn't need a Roku or something similar since you already have an updated enough TV, right?
It could be just me, but I have apps on my new Samsung tv, and I supposedly installed the discovery + app, but when I go to the apps, it’s not there. When I ask for it on voice command all I get is YouTube stuff. It’s not worth it.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:09 AM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,667,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It could be just me, but I have apps on my new Samsung tv, and I supposedly installed the discovery + app, but when I go to the apps, it’s not there. When I ask for it on voice command all I get is YouTube stuff. It’s not worth it.

Samsung smart TV's aren't all that smart. If you plan to use streaming services, get a Roku.

Old 01-24-2021, 10:09 AM

9,096 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
And it would be fine if the app showed the same content that is on the Discovery channels. But the app is showing new content that ISN'T shown on the channels. So the people who already pay for cable (or streaming subscriptions on which they watch cable channels, like YouTube TV) are getting screwed.
How are you getting screwed? The cable channels are still providing 24/7/365 programming like they always have done. The new streaming content is additional content that requires additional payment.

If money is a limiting factor then you need to decide which platform provides more value, the cable or the streaming until the day eventually comes when cable is discontinued due to subscriber counts falling too low. Streaming is the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV