Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 08:17 AM

9,091 posts, read 6,314,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz713 View Post
Question: his other favorite show is American Pickers, on the History Channel, which hasn't had History since forever. Anyone know if this channel is tied to Discovery+? Thanks.
The History Channel is owned by A&E Networks. A&E Networks is a joint venture between Hearst Corporation and Disney.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A%26E_Networks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I know you all don't remember, but a hundred years ago the government - HAH! - said they deregulating cable and promoting a menu version of programming, where you could buy the channels you wanted. HAH, HAH, and HAH. Oh dearie me, the government lied. Imagine that.
I remember the Telecommunications Act of 1996. The mastermind was Ed Markey, now a senator for Massachusetts. I will say no more and let anyone research him further if they wish.

Quote:
Hilarious. I love reading posts from people who don't think they're getting screwed.

You're overpaying for cable, and you're paying additionally for channels you had with cable.

But hey, the corporations are getting rich from people like you. And me if I decide I can't do without a channel that has programs my husband likes, above all else.

I do hope you are correct, however, I hope cable crashes and burns from their greed and streaming takes over the world.

I wished the same thing about retail vs Amazon years ago and I was proved right.

Life is good.
I gave up cable TV in May 2018 because at the time I was only watching the broadcast channels and I believed I could receive those with an antenna which turned out to be true. Currently I watch a combination of OTA broadcast, my personal collection from DVDs and digital downloads and some AVOD streaming (Ad supported Video On Demand, i.e. Roku Channel , PlutoTV, etc). The reason I am so gung-ho for streaming is because if I ever want to add a dose of paid content, adding one streaming service is much cheaper than going back to cable TV. I do understand this topic is more complicated for others due to family size or particular viewing interests.

Old 01-29-2021, 04:45 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _jbub88_ View Post
I just cancelled my free trial at day 8, so I am stuck for another 30 days. I do like the animal planet and travel channel, but I am caught up so canceling is appropriate. I have a love hate relationship with the 90 day shows. Discovery plus comes with alot of behind the scenes stuff. A 90 day junkie would eat that up.

Reading the above, something is about to change or has taken affect already. Discovery plus comes with 9 or 10 channels, ie Oxygen, A&E, Travel, etc. Have those channels broken away from the bulk cable subscription?

None of the new 90 day fiance shows look appealing to me.

For the last 3 years I've been saying I'm losing interest in the show. I'm a few episodes behind, watched one episode last night, it didn't do much for me. I'd much rather watch Dr Pimple Popper who's now exclusive to the app but I'm not going to pay. If I don't get it free with Verizon wireless, I'll wait until pimple is done then do the 7 day trial and cancel.

Thankfully we don't pay for Comcast, my son takes care of it. He has an employee account that's about $50 a month. We have the bare minimum, one DVR and one regular box. It comes with a phone line and internet.

What I don't understand about streaming is that people still have to pay for an internet connection, no? Or does the fire stick take care of that?

Old 01-29-2021, 06:09 AM

9,879 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
None of the new 90 day fiance shows look appealing to me.

For the last 3 years I've been saying I'm losing interest in the show. I'm a few episodes behind, watched one episode last night, it didn't do much for me. I'd much rather watch Dr Pimple Popper who's now exclusive to the app but I'm not going to pay. If I don't get it free with Verizon wireless, I'll wait until pimple is done then do the 7 day trial and cancel.

Thankfully we don't pay for Comcast, my son takes care of it. He has an employee account that's about $50 a month. We have the bare minimum, one DVR and one regular box. It comes with a phone line and internet.

What I don't understand about streaming is that people still have to pay for an internet connection, no? Or does the fire stick take care of that?
You need some sort of connection to the internet. A Fire Stick does not accomplish that. A Fire Stick simply brings the apps and a wi-fi connection to your not so smart TV.

Old 01-29-2021, 06:42 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
You need some sort of connection to the internet. A Fire Stick does not accomplish that. A Fire Stick simply brings the apps and a wi-fi connection to your not so smart TV.
It is still a lot cheaper for the internet. I was paying twice as much for basic cable without HD capability than I pay for internet, and I really only got the broadcast channels and like 2-3 other channels. The fees are just ridiculous. You have to pay like $10-15 for the over-the-air broadcast channel fees, another $10-15 for an HD box. Comcast would not allow me to cast from my iPad to the TV to get HD either, or two use the specific channel apps. They had a lot of content that was HD only, and who wants to watch it on a tiny iPad?

At least the streaming channels allow you to cancel at any time, while cable typically locks you in to some contract. Everything is all high definition if your internet connection handles it. With cable, if you are 3 months in and find you are not watching any of the shows, then you are stuck paying for another 9 months or even year and 9 months before you can cancel.

I don’t know about other people, but I would still be getting some streaming services anyway- like Amazon Prime, because I like the free shipping, monthly Kindle books, music, and other services that come with it.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Internet plus cable TV is almost always more expensive than internet plus streaming. I had the most basic of basic TV plans with Comcast and cutting the TV portion still saved me $30 per month.

A fire-stick is simply hardware like purchasing a computer or TV, only cheaper.

Old 01-29-2021, 05:38 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,520,659 times
will the exact same shows/episodes that are aired on d+ be seen on directv/dish? or is all new content being showed on d+ ONLY?

for example: i can currently watch fixer upper or property brothers on hgtv. will the exact same episode that appears on d+ aire on my existing hgtv channel?

i asked directv this question & got the run around

Old 01-29-2021, 05:44 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
I get plenty of their shows plus all the ID type plus Smithsonian on Youtube TV 85 channels for $65. Even going up from $50 it's still the best out there combined with Prime and Netflix.

Old 01-30-2021, 04:15 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It is still a lot cheaper for the internet. I was paying twice as much for basic cable without HD capability than I pay for internet, and I really only got the broadcast channels and like 2-3 other channels. The fees are just ridiculous. You have to pay like $10-15 for the over-the-air broadcast channel fees, another $10-15 for an HD box. Comcast would not allow me to cast from my iPad to the TV to get HD either, or two use the specific channel apps. They had a lot of content that was HD only, and who wants to watch it on a tiny iPad?

At least the streaming channels allow you to cancel at any time, while cable typically locks you in to some contract. Everything is all high definition if your internet connection handles it. With cable, if you are 3 months in and find you are not watching any of the shows, then you are stuck paying for another 9 months or even year and 9 months before you can cancel.

I don’t know about other people, but I would still be getting some streaming services anyway- like Amazon Prime, because I like the free shipping, monthly Kindle books, music, and other services that come with it.

How long ago did you have Comcast? We have one TV in the master that doesn't have a box. We have Xfinity on demand app that shows us what's available, we're able to watch shows on it like it was a box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
will the exact same shows/episodes that are aired on d+ be seen on directv/dish? or is all new content being showed on d+ ONLY?

for example: i can currently watch fixer upper or property brothers on hgtv. will the exact same episode that appears on d+ aire on my existing hgtv channel?

i asked directv this question & got the run around
Property brothers is moving to discovery+ only. You won't be able to watch them if you don't have discovery+

I'm not familiar with the fixer upper show. I know the show with Joanna Gaines I think is her name is going exclusive to discovery+. Seems like they're moving a lot of shows exclusive to the app.

I do wonder if we can watch any of the shows on the TLC site. I haven't looked into that yet but I have a feeling the answer will be no.

Old 01-30-2021, 04:37 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I’m rather frustrated by using Discovery+ on my iPad. It’s worth $5 to me to watch Magnolia, and a few other shows, but the signal cut out 4 or 5 times in an hour show, which makes it too annoying to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV