Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 11:53 AM

1,386 posts, read 998,530 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm really not trying to start a fight here. Bare with me.

I was a HUGE fan of Star Trek, the original series. To the point that I had 99% of the episodes recorded (off the air) in beta video tape (from the 80s). I loved TNG when it came out. I watched DS9 and Voyager intermittently as I found myself with less and less time to watch TV.

Of late, I really wanted to watch Discovery (primarily because I'm smitten with Michelle Yeoh) but I refused to pay extra for CBS All Access. So, CBS finally started showing Discovery on the regular CBS channel. So, YEAH! Wait, not yeah.

A "spore" drive? Really? I thought to myself, that's just DUMB. I realize (and have argued before on CD) that when it comes to Sci Fi, you often have to suspend disbelief, It is, after all, Sci Fi. But a spore drive? C'mon! That makes NO SENSE. A spore drive navigated by a giant tardigrade? Please. And as I watched more Discovery episodes, I thought, this is really, really dumb. And while the original series had some good episodes (City on the Edge of Forever)--mostly, it was just dumb, too.

I say this as a HUGE fan of The Expanse, on Prime. I think of The Expanse as really smart Sci Fi. And then I watched Discovery. And I came to the realization that Star Trek: Discovery is NOT smart. And that, indeed, most of Star Trek is really dumb. Even the movies were dumb.

In the movies, when the ship got hit with weapons, crew members invariably went flying all over the bridge. I remember thinking every time I saw that: "Really? Why would they have explosively charged springboards all over the bridge?" They were just DUMB. (I do like the later Chris Pine as Captain Kirk movies. They just seemed more realistic. And not as DUMB.)

So I suspect I'm going to rile up some real Star Trek super fans. And I expect they will level their wrath at me. But I want to know if I'm alone in this. Anybody else think Star Trek is dumb?

--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 11:57 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
I loved the original series, TNG, and have been pleasantly surprised how much I'm enjoying PICARD. I even enjoyed ENTERPRISE. I never could get into VOYAGER or DS9.

I have tried a few times to watch DISCOVERY. I just can't get into it. The writing is SO bad. All the silly science fiction bits aside, it is badly written for any genre. Characters tell each other things they already know --- because they're actually talking to the audience, not each other. Monologuing villains. (Has no one seen THE INCREDIBLES???) Everyone wearing their identity on their sleeve. Blech. It's not just bad science fiction. It's bad drama on any level.

Old 02-02-2021, 12:02 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
Star Trek is about sociology not science. It's sociology fiction, not science fiction. The future is just a vehicle for the society depicted.

I love science fiction but I've always thought Star Trek was dumb. The tech is too magical.

Old 02-02-2021, 03:57 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Star Trek is about sociology not science. It's sociology fiction, not science fiction. The future is just a vehicle for the society depicted.

I love science fiction but I've always thought Star Trek was dumb. The tech is too magical.
The tech is necessary if you want to have a galaxy wide civilization, otherwise you'd be limited by how far you could travel. The Expanse does tend to limit that, by focusing on the Solar System.

Old 02-02-2021, 03:59 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
“Star Trek†is the most successful failed series ever.

Old 02-02-2021, 05:00 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
They lost me at Abrams.

That one.. I came back for Picard, which was.. Good.. Ok to Good. Not great.

But once the Abrams movies hit and you have the whole Kelvin timeline.. My view on that is just that they took something we had invested heavily in and said "*********.. Never happened". In a, pretty failed overall effort to attract new fans.

I haven't watched Discovery. Watched a couple episodes of Lower Decks. Throughout TNG, and VOY.. I watched all those as they aired. DS9 I wasn't a huge fan of, but it's grown on me rewatching it. Enterprise.. I never really cared for.. It wasn't must see TV, but I caught all of them.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:59 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Love the original and TNG. Don't care at all for discovery.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:00 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times
DS9 is my favorite series...great range of characters. And the season 1 episode "DUET" is probably the best 1 hour of any scripted drama of any tv show in history.

Old 02-03-2021, 12:34 AM

735 posts, read 1,170,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
DS9 is my favorite series...great range of characters. And the season 1 episode "DUET" is probably the best 1 hour of any scripted drama of any tv show in history.
I really hate the current iteration of Star Trek [Alex Kurtzman era].

I prefer 1980's/1990's (and 1960's) Star Trek. After sampling Discovery, Picard and Lower Decks, I realize myself and many fans were too hard on show runner Rick Berman during his reign.

That is why I have become a rabid fan of The Orville. IT IS the spiritual successor to the Rick Berman era Star Trek. So when does season 3 begin again?

Old 02-03-2021, 07:10 AM

869 posts, read 1,124,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Okay, I'm really not trying to start a fight here. Bare with me.

--
Sorry Bill but just no

Star Trek the original series was the best sci-fi show in the '60s no contest, arguably the very best TV show from that decade period.

No other sci-fi TV show has ever stood out like that since IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV