Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 06:37 AM

19,756 posts, read 20,312,780 times

Advertisements

Benny Hill fans must be getting nervous....lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 06:43 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,968,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
British comedy is a law unto itself!

Old 03-13-2021, 09:54 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,053,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
The discontinued books are impossible to find, as I understand. They've been snapped up on Amazon, etc. Instant collector's items, and will undoubtedly be removed from libraries as well.
They're still available at my library. Although I'm surprised they don't stop lending them out until all the hype wears out. I wouldn't put it past some people to try and sell the library's book for a couple hundred dollars and then pay the library their $20 lost book fee.

As to them being impossible to find, that's just now with people being crazy. And it also probably has something to do with then being unpopular books. I doubt those types of books get a lot of printings, so there weren't a lot at bookstores to begin with.

Oh Zebra was only published in 1955, 1983, and 1999. If you haven't already bought a children's book that was last published 22 years ago, were you really going to buy it now?

Old 03-13-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Are those shows still being produced?

Old 03-13-2021, 12:11 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,567,645 times
Quote:
All of this, plus I just found those cartoons boring. Same thing, over and over and over. If I never see another one, I won't be wringing my hands over it!

Messing with the Muppets, OTOH, them's fighting words!! That was NEVER a kid's show, but watching it as a kid gave me the sardonic sense of humor I've carried all these years. Jim Henson was always aiming for an older audience, going all the way back to Sam & Friends back in the 1950's.
Don't miss piggy rape, assault, and bully Kermit? They had a segment on Le Pew and then Lola Bunny came up. There was some man (a male feminist) asking why Lola Bunny was in a crop top to play basketball and I guess they were making a point that we're sexualizing the woman rabbit and in turn all women and ish. We then cut to a video of Lola bunny in her crop top crossing Bugs up. I then look at Bugs bunny and he was butt ass naked. Lol. This male feminist can take his point and shove it up his crass mouth. Needless to say, I didn't take this segment on Lola Bunny seriously.

Old 03-13-2021, 12:27 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,968,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Are those shows still being produced?
No, Benny Hill has been dead since 1992. Neither is the Muppet Show but there are calls to "cancel" that as well.

Old 03-13-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
No, Benny Hill has been dead since 1992. Neither is the Muppet Show but there are calls to "cancel" that as well.
Putting a disclaimer on a TV show's information page does not mean it's being "canceled". How do you even cancel a show that's no longer on air?

And while the original Muppet Show is no longer in production, there are other current series featuring those same characters.

Old 03-13-2021, 10:02 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,140,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
As a French, I have never heard of Jerry Lewis until I went to forums with American members, I don't understand the "much beloved in France" stereotype.. He is pretty much unknown in France.

There is nothing espeically French about all those characters.
Pepe Le Pew is an American cartoon, Pink panther is an American movie serie (very old one).
It would like been viewing an American character in a soviet movie or cartoon from cold war.
It actually says more about the view of Americans on the world than on the French.
Well, here's something for the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN5dfOs4TMY

Old 03-14-2021, 10:38 AM

22,945 posts, read 28,339,187 times
Here is the thing that so many of the content/morality police (on both Left and Right) don't seem to understand: Comedy is often about bad behavior. That's why it's funny.

We are supposed to watch the Stooges or Beavis & Butthead or Bart Simpson or Basil Fawlty or Yosemite Sam and laugh at their bad behavior. It's funny because it's absurd. It isn't a morality play. We aren't supposed to emulate their bad behavior.

As for Monsieur Pepe LePew: Did he ever win? Not that I remember. He always got his comeuppance in the end. Because he was behaving badly. How is that bad? "He is encouraging rape culture!" No. He really isn't. The cartoons are making fun of aggressive misogyny, not affirming it.

Now, Pepe may not be your type of comedy. That's fine. I can't stand Benny Hill or Renn & Stimpy. I just don't find them funny. But I am not going to demand that no one else be able to watch it. Knock yourself out.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:13 AM

7,047 posts, read 2,741,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
"They" didn't come for Dr. Seuss or Looney Tunes. The companies that owned the rights to this content made the decision themselves to withdraw or adjust the distribution of their own materials, which is their right to do.

Allowing racist or sexist content that no longer fits our societal mores to be newly published and available without comment is not where responsible companies want to be.
Making fun of characters of a different race is not racist. Are pollack or blond jokes racist???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV