Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2021, 04:48 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,354,762 times

Advertisements

And then there is this... the first scorned woman of the Royals, aside from those of Henry VIII

https://pagesix.com/2021/03/03/megha...allis-simpson/

Old 03-09-2021, 04:49 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,344,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
Just some thougs... the interview was interesting but did Meghan convince me or change my opinion?
No
There is no way she knew nothing about the royal family or possible duties or the torment paparazzi put Diana and her kids through, nor is it believable that she was so naive that she wouldn't be scrutinized. I'm no Anglophile but there are things you just know as a student of life and history.

I obviously understand her and Harry's pain caused by the vile things that were said to and about them but it's par for the course when you are in the public eye. Even when you're not famous you can get picked apart. The world is cruel. And I also understand the hurt from the perceived inaction or abandonment of the royal family but I would never leave my wellbeing solely in the hands of others, Harry I can excuse for that but a girl from the around the block... no.

Even their reasons for departure were kind of illogical. If you don't get enough support, what do you think leaving and renouncing your positions will get you... well even less to zero support. Harry almost seemed like a lost lamb when he recounted the shock of losing his security detail and money (I'm sure Diana left him millions but still). Furthermore, the attacks in the press is going to follow you even when you leave the fold, or the Firm. Especially if you continue to do interviews... but welcome to the working class Harry.

I do feel like Meghan may have planted seeds of discord within Harry. Using words like "trapped" did not sit right with me. Of course royales have rigidness bred and instilled in them and there are things you are not able to do be it for safety or optics or whatever... but for Harry to say he was never happy, when he was 100% naked playing guitar in Las Vegas, was ridiculous.

And chickens? She said something about having chickens as being "real"
Better not have roosters because I know Oprah will not like to be disturbed as they are neighbors (interesting tidbit when they moved from Canada because people knew where they were)

Thoughts?
Bingo!

Oprah is intelligent and business savvy. The fact that Meghan was interviewed over 2 hours and Harry only for about 30 minutes, is very telling.

Old 03-09-2021, 04:49 PM

130,568 posts, read 12,152,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Yes, exactly. And Harry should know all of this, hence she would know but instead blamed it on racism.

I wonder if Oprah now knows the truth of what Meghan said through the interview. Such as the title issue. I doubt Oprah would say anything to confront the reality of what has been said.
The truth won't elicit as much sympathy. I think they have become a pair of grifters, Shame on them. IMO.

Old 03-09-2021, 05:18 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,603,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
So don't use the race card, when it was written law for over 100 years.
There have been 58 men who have had the title of British Prince for some portion of their life.

There were 2 British Princes that were great grandsons or more distant from the monarch born between 1776 and 1880.

There were 8 British Princes that were great grandsons or more distant from the monarch born between 1880 and 1915, and 6 of them lost their title after 1917 when George V issued his proclamations. The other two died before 1917.
  • Georg Wilhelm Christian Albert Edward Alexander Friedrich Waldemar Ernst Adolf 1880-1912 (age 32)
  • Christian Friedrich Wilhelm Georg Peter Waldemar 1885-1901 (age 16)

So it was a written law 100 years ago, but it wasn't very common even before that. Yes, Megan should have known the rules for royals when she was briefed upon entering the royal family. Certainly Harry knew the rules.

Old 03-09-2021, 05:28 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,715,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Morgan did just lose his job on UK morning television for his attitude and comments toward Markle, so he might not be the most reliable narrator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
When it comes to cancel culture, the media sticks together. It's all such a farce.
So every time a media figure is fired, they're 'canceled'?

I swear, 'cancel culture' is such an idiotic concept. It doesn't exist, except to describe something that is, and always has been, ubiquitous. People have always been fired. People have always been shunned. There have always been boycotts, careers that tanked because someone held an unpopular opinion, people that societies were just done with.

Old 03-09-2021, 05:43 PM

18,480 posts, read 31,670,709 times
and for some reason, why oh why do they all feel the need to have to talk to oprah on national TV.

LOL. why is that? was this to set a record straight? tell us the real whatever?

this thread is though, an interesting read as we all have our own opinions.

but, while I did enjoy the interview for what it was, I don't feel sorry for these two, not in the least..

were we supposed to???????? LOL

I do have to say, when MM talked of the color thing, and Oprah says "what???" like she aint never heard anything like that in her life, I thought that was a bit much,

I do have 2 bi-racial great nieces......and yes, of course we as family would say, wonder who they will look like more.
but none the less, they should both be kid models for "the gap", to me, they are perfect for that.

anyway, I look forward to reading more comments.....

Old 03-09-2021, 06:10 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,609,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I wasn't going to watch the interview but I did. Seems to me to deal with this level of problems, one must go to the roots of the problems. Harry needed to decide what he wanted in his life even before Megan. He has shown for years the Royal Life really wasn't for him. It wasn't for his mother either. There is nothing wrong with that, it is going to happen. The Royal family should have provisions set in place for that happening. Megan should not have married into the family, unless Harry was ready to leave. She knew she would not adjust to that way of life. The majority of us never would be able to. I don't believe all the racial comments coming out. I think people need to define racism. Just wondering what color a mixed race baby is going to be, is a pretty normal thing to wonder. I hardly would call that racism as in actually making cruel racial comments. I think Oprah's reaction was ridiculous, as if she just wanted to put fuel on the fire. It seems everything is being put into the racist comment section in today's world. Especially if an American is involved.

To sum it up the Royal Family has been broken for many years. It is not Harry's or Megan's fault on that one. Megan was not cut out for the life, and Harry wanted out years before Megan came along. The world can't blame her for this one. The British Tabloids are like vultures and are responsible for a ton of pain in that family. I'm not sure why the UK has allowed those tabloids to get away with what they do. I watched Harry and his brother on TV at their mother's funeral. They were just kids. Having your mother killed in an accident, with those Paparazzi people chasing after them. It's no wonder he and Megan wanted to stop as much of that coverage as they could. He is right he could see where all that coverage was leading to.. The whole thing is very sad, to see a family at such odds. I doubt this can really be fixed after what has been said. Harry might just as well take American citizenship now, as I don't see him living in England again after what has been said.

I've thought, since "Megxit", that it wasn't Megan dragging poor hapless Harry away from his family, but Harry himself using the marriage and resulting conflicts as his rationale for doing something he's wanted to do but hadn't done before, leave the obligations of being a senior (and very popular) member of the royal family while retaining the privilege and prestige of his birth. I don't think Harry necessarily went into the marriage with a future exit in mind. But he's always seemed to chafe at the etiquette expected of the sons of a future king; and it's certainly better for his reputation that he's abandoning his royal responsibilities for the sake of his beautiful American biracial wife and their innocent child than because he was sick of conforming to royal tradition and wanted to do his own thing.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:10 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,019,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
Why ISN"T there a written protocol on how to quit the royal firm? Things wouldn't have had to get ugly if there had been one.

As far as Megham pretending she was unaware that by marrying Harry she would be living in a lifestyle of a diamond filled nightmare, I believe her. She was in love. With a man. And yes, when you marry another person, you do to an extent marry their family. But not THAT married to the family, and hopefully not to such a dysfunctional family.

Suicide should ALWAYS be taken seriously. I am Autistic, and the primary reason that the average "high functioning" Autistic lifespan is 37 years old is because of suicide. Several dozen of my friends know to call me the moment they start seriously considering suicide. And we discuss options. Some of them choose short-term mental institutions. And some still take their lives shortly after they are discharged. Nobody I know in the Autistic community would dream of telling a suicidal person that getting help would be bad optics. Or that's something we all have to deal with. Never.

It is difficult to admit publicly that you have come to a place where suicide seems the only practical solution. Meghan should be applauded for having the courage to talk about it.
Pretty sure she could just...leave. Get a hotel room (she wasn't locked in the tower, despite her depiction of imprisonment). After all, that's what they ultimately did???

Old 03-09-2021, 06:13 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,019,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I've thought, since "Megxit", that it wasn't Megan dragging poor hapless Harry away from his family, but Harry himself using the marriage and resulting conflicts as his rationale for doing something he's wanted to do but hadn't done before, leave the obligations of being a senior (and very popular) member of the royal family while retaining the privilege and prestige of his birth. I don't think Harry necessarily went into the marriage with a future exit in mind. But he's always seemed to chafe at the etiquette expected of the sons of a future king; and it's certainly better for his reputation that he's abandoning his royal responsibilities for the sake of his beautiful American biracial wife and their innocent child than because he was sick of conforming to royal tradition and wanted to do his own thing.
He could have just married Chelsey (who didn't want the royal role) and quietly retreated to her homeland.

Everyone would have been much happier.

No, no; he didn't KNOW he hated being a prince until "this amazing woman" told him!

Old 03-09-2021, 06:30 PM

3,065 posts, read 2,048,326 times
Harry wanted out of the family business, as previous posters suggested and I believe that too. Meghan discovered how horrible British media can be to a person of color plus her new life was not much fun, the fairytale didn't turn out the way she imagined, where she took up Diana's mantle and they lived happily ever after.

There are a LOT of dysfunctional families in the world and the royals are just as bad as most. Charles was a terrible husband and Diana was much too naive to know what she was getting into. I blame Charles and everyone in his family for using her to bear the heir and the spare. She was used and abused and no one in that family helped her. They are not a happy family and that's what Meghan Markle married into. She herself came from a dysfunctional family.

I think Meghan rescued Harry and he is supporting her. Why should they shut up and say nothing?

My opinion is the palace "help" runs the royals lives and they were anti-Meghan from the start, didn't do anything to help her fit in. William's hands are tied, he just wants to keep the press away from him and his family. The press are killers and the palace "help" is how the press gets info, much of it false filled with innuendo. Nasty people all of them and racist, misogynist and probably other -ist's too.

So WHO brought up the unborn baby's potential skin color? Like a game of CLUE. Definitely not Kate. Probably high ranking royal, can't imagine non-royal saying it and definitely close family. My money is on Charles. Them bringing it up in interview is payback for total lack of emotional support and maybe payback for treatment of Diana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV