Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 06:08 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times

Advertisements

Let's start this thread, for fun. Does anyone else clearly remember a specific TV show that no one else in your social circle has heard of? Almost everybody in the Millennial generation remembers shows like "Schoolhouse Rock", "Loony Tunes", "Rugrats", and "Clarissa Explains It All". But what about more obscure shows? The ones where if you bring it up, people think you're making it up. Hence the thread title.

If the location matters, the shows I remember were broadcasted in Chicago.

"Fudge" - on ABC - A TV series about a 4th-grade boy Pete, his kindergarten-age brother Fudge, the rest of their family, and their friends. It's very family-friendly and G-rated, but contains occasional romantic or dark moments.

"Baby Huey Show" - on ABC - A slapstick cartoon about a baby duck who always gets into comical troubles and/or causes property damage everywhere he goes.

"Nightmare Ned" - on ABC - A dark-humored but comedic cartoon about a boy who keeps having nightmares. Ned either wakes up in the end or unsuccessfully tries to have a lucid dream.

"Sports Cartoon" - on Nickelodeon and on ABC - Short cartoons, lasting less than 3 minutes, usually shown if the regularly scheduled 30-minute cartoon ended before the alloted time. Each episode shows animal characters engaging in sports, but having clumsy accidents or failing entirely.

"After these messages, will be right back" skits - during Saturday morning cartoons - Cartoon figures play musical instruments while singing this line.
"In a minute" skits - during Saturday morning cartoons - During commercial break, cartoon figures briefly recite this line in squeaky voices.
"And now, back to the show" skits - during Saturday morning cartoons - Cartoon figures sing this phrase before the shows resumes.

Keep 'em coming!

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 04-18-2021 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 06:26 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Seems like nobody else my age remembers 'Out Of This World', it was about a girl who's father was an alien, and she used to talk to him through this box that was in her bedroom.

Old 04-18-2021, 06:45 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,562,051 times
'Do Over'.. short lived show about a man who gets a chance to go back to the early 80s and re-do his teen years.
'Nick Freno: Licensed Teacher', sitcom from the late 90s that was kinda like an updated Welcome Back Kotter concept. It had some laughs, but seems forgotten.
'Bakersfield PD', cop sitcom from the 90s that was basically a prototype for Reno 911..

Old 04-18-2021, 06:56 PM

19,716 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Seems like nobody else my age remembers 'Out Of This World', it was about a girl who's father was an alien, and she used to talk to him through this box that was in her bedroom.
I loved that show!

I always wished I could gleep and freeze time , lol

your video wasn't working for me, now I'll be singing the theme song all night...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMu_l_0BgYs

Old 04-18-2021, 07:12 PM

1,938 posts, read 702,832 times
I remember a short lived animated show as a kid called Wait Till Your Father Gets Home. The father
may have been the voice of Tom Bosley (Mr. C from Happy Days). He had a son with long hair, Chet - I think.

There was another quirky game show called, The Cheap Show. We thought Polly the Prize Lady was
funny and so was the ditzy co-host, Wanda?

Old 04-18-2021, 07:27 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
I also remember these two shows from Nickelodeon:

"What Would You Do?" - It was basically a kids' version of "Fear Factor". Kids and their parents competed with each other in performing amusing, messy, or mildly unpleasant stunts, like inflate a balloon until it pops, get hit with pies, or reach into a big bowl of dog food.

"Wild and Crazy Kids" - It was a sports-oriented game show with child contestants, usually set on the beach. Kids competed against each other in messy challenges or bastardized sports, like running through tubs of slime or playing basketball while wearing boxing gloves.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:51 PM

313 posts, read 269,132 times
Puff And Stuff
Captain Kangaroo
The Flying Nun
Eddie's Father
My Three Sons
Perry Mason.
I could go on and on. People forgot about these shows.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:16 PM

729 posts, read 533,075 times
Diver Dan -- I fell in love with the mermaid.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:38 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
Puff And Stuff
Captain Kangaroo
The Flying Nun
Eddie's Father
My Three Sons
Perry Mason.
I could go on and on. People forgot about these shows.
Those aren't obscure shows. Most people (over probably the age of 40) have heard of them.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:59 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I loved that show!

I always wished I could gleep and freeze time , lol

your video wasn't working for me, now I'll be singing the theme song all night...
If you remember that one, you'll likely also remember Small Wonder.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV