Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 08:34 AM

316 posts, read 304,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

And does anyone remember the "St. Elsewhere" ending where the characters were part of an autistic's boy imagination? That was thought provoking and spawned many discussions at the office water cooler (a long time ago).
Yes! That ending has stuck with me to this day. Definitely one of the most unexpected!

As for worst endings...I agree with the others who mentioned LOST. We started losing interest before the finale as there were just too many loose threads, which clearly were not going to get resolved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 01:46 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
I can’t think of any that I really loved, but Battlestar Galactica pissed me off. Hour 1 was great, but then hour 2 was just so unrealistic and ridiculous with everyone giving up all technology and oh btw there are angels? Why?

Old 04-29-2021, 02:11 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Favorite - Seinfeld. I loved how they did the finale, bringing back all those great character actors we'd loved from all the years. Great way to do it. We still enjoy the whole series today. Timeless.

Worst - Have to agree with LOST.... We think the writers may have started out with a plan for what it all meant, but either because they extended the show longer than expected or because the fans kept figuring things out too soon, they just decided to throw the plan out and ad lib the last few seasons. The first few seasons are still great TV though, we're rewatching Season 1 again now, first time since. We figure we'll stay with it at least til season 3.

Newhart... Awesome all time favorite, but we're aging ourselves, and there are a couple generations now who never saw either one!

Old 04-29-2021, 04:08 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Two of the best of all time for me involve Ricky Gervais: After Life and Extras.

Old 04-29-2021, 05:23 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I know lots of people are going to chime in and say THE SOPRANOS, DEXTER, and SEINFELD, but I actually loved the finales of all those shows.
I loved the ending to the sopranos! Loved it. Thought it was pure genius.

Old 04-29-2021, 05:24 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I remember that ending on 'Dora' and thought it was hysterical, but I've hesitated to bring it up because no one else remembered the show (until now!).

While Newhart usually (and rightfully) comes out on top every time this topic is brought up, I feel obligated to mention that the 'credit' for the concept should be given to Dallas, who started the ball rolling with the "It was all a dream!" cliffhanger resolution of Pam Ewing dreaming Bobby had been dead for a year's worth of episodes. Newhart used it for the series finale, Married With Children used it to un-do a half-season of episodes, and several other noteworthy shows did their versions. In most cases, the 'dream' resolution is used with a certain degree of tongue-in-cheek humor. Newhart's was still the best, mostly because the series had always embraced absurdity.
Wasn't Roseanne all a dream too (to wipe out the fact that they won the lottery).

Old 04-29-2021, 11:04 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
+1 for best overall, never going to be matched: Newhart
My own favorite was
Justified. A perfect end for an excellent show.
Others:
Babylon 5 - it was heartbreaking, but very well written and perfect for the series.
Limitless (2015) - the TV series sequel to the movie. Great ending, almost like it was planned for 1 season only.
Madam Secretary - transitioning to Madam President for only a bit, then a good ending.
Beat me tio it with Newhart.

When I saw the thread title, that was my first thought as best.

Old 04-30-2021, 07:59 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Best: St. Elsewhere & Newhart

Worst: Lost and How I Met Your Mother
Definitely agree with How I Met Your Mother. Haven’t seen the other ones.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:33 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
One of the best: MASH.

And how can you not include "Newhart"? One of the funniest and nostalgic of all times? Bob waking up in bed with Suzanne Pleshette - tell me you didn't laugh out loud with joy.

I watched the MASH finale on Hulu a few weeks ago.. You know, it still holds up for the most part. And I agree about Newhart. That was just.. Creative. I don't care if it was a ripoff of Dallas.. It was done far, far better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Favorite - Seinfeld. I loved how they did the finale, bringing back all those great character actors we'd loved from all the years. Great way to do it. We still enjoy the whole series today. Timeless.

See, I never really got into Seinfeld.. But watching the finale almost seemed like a clip show with the trial interspersed around it.

the funniest thing about that episode.. Was Julia Louis-Dreyfuss and Jerry Seinfeld on the final Letterman doing the top 10 list.. Julia's entry

"Thanks for letting me take part in another hugely disappointing series finale."

The look Jerry gave her..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtUTKnRJGQ&t=220s

So.. let me throw in here that Letterman and Carson's final episodes were really good as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Wasn't Roseanne all a dream too (to wipe out the fact that they won the lottery).

Ugh. Yeah.. That entire final season was awful.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:43 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,037 times
I remember "Dora" and the finale too.

Didn't watch Newhart regularly but I do recall the finale. A good one, for sure.

I thought Six Feet Under had a really good ending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV