Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 04:06 PM

12,983 posts, read 13,729,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, as I said, to each their own.

When I was a teen through a young adult, I would stay up to watch various TV shows, the CBS late movie, ABC's Wide World of Mystery..........but never the Late Show. Just never saw the appeal.
I would go to middle school and tell double entendre or innuendo jokes to my friends that I learned on late night TV. When no one would laugh, it would crack me up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 04:12 PM

23,651 posts, read 14,122,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I would go to middle school and tell double entendre or innuendo jokes to my friends that I learned on late night TV. When no one would laugh, it would crack me up.
Well, I must admit that does put me in an interesting ball park.

If I was one of your middle school classmates, I wouldn't laugh because I would not be of the environment to understand the joke. AND........

if I was your associate today, I still wouldn't laugh for I would not be of that environment to understand, either!

Old 05-17-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Well, I must admit that does put me in an interesting ball park.

If I was one of your middle school classmates, I wouldn't laugh because I would not be of the environment to understand the joke. AND........

if I was your associate today, I still wouldn't laugh for I would not be of that environment to understand, either!
Your loss, I have been the life of the party at numerous hoity toity wine and chesse galas and receptions. I stay sober and hold court. My social calendar will be filling up as the end of covid seems near. Late night TV dosen't have the comics of the old days and the adult subject matter is 24/7 today. I did learn how to hold a conversation while quite young simply by watching intellegent people do it on TV.

Old 05-17-2021, 04:25 PM

29,780 posts, read 34,541,361 times
Quote:
No, not worried, just saying that I respect that a person has a place for their public life and their private life is their own. I respect that who they are when they are not acting, playing a role, is their own affair.
Actors promoting their new whatevers tell the talk show producers exactly what they will and will not talk about. They're not helpless, and they wouldn't appear on shows that disrespected their contract.

Old 05-17-2021, 04:44 PM

I absolutely loved to hear William F. Buckly speak when he was on with Carson.

Old 05-17-2021, 04:50 PM

11,664 posts, read 12,771,645 times
I haven't even heard the name of David Suskind in many years. Wow, that takes me back.

Watching Dick Cavett probably saved my life in a nefarious NYC subway incident

It wasn't always just an infromercial for the latest movie or to plug a TV show like it is today. The hosts would often book guests that were just there to tell stories or be a raconteur like Orson Welles, Orson Bean, or Peter O'Toole. The latter was the best story teller I have ever heard. There were less commercial breaks back then and the stories would run on uninterrupted. The flow was much better than now.

Until recently, Late Night programming was always for an adult audience. I think it began to change with Dave Letterman, who was the "hip" guy with all of the gimmicks. I'm not saying that he wasn't funny, but he changed the late night landscape from the adult Jack Paar/ Steve Allen era to the young irreverent.

The OP should check out the currently running History of Late Night on CNN. Probably she was just too young to understand this type of TV when it was in its Golden Age. I don't find the Late Night Shows as entertaining as they once were and if that was my introduction to late night TV (which used to be 90 minutes), I would probably feel the same way as the OP.

Old 05-17-2021, 05:20 PM

23,651 posts, read 14,122,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
........The OP should check out the currently running History of Late Night on CNN. Probably she was just too young to understand this type of TV when it was in its Golden Age. I don't find the Late Night Shows as entertaining as they once were and if that was my introduction to late night TV (which used to be 90 minutes), I would probably feel the same way as the OP.
Thank you for the suggestion but "unfortunately", I am in a TV blind spot. No broadcast, no cable, no streaming, no satellite.

Different question of a sort, are the Late Shows where we get our knowledge of popular culture? Is the host or hostess stand up comedy at the start what tells us what is popular?

Old 05-17-2021, 06:59 PM

There were many celebrities who were only known to late night TV. George Segal was always on, I often wondered what it was he did or use to do. People like Helen Gurley Brown,William Buckley, members of The Rat Pack, Carl Sagan, were on alot. I came to think that being a good conversationalist was an asset and that was why these people were always on "Talk Shows." Its seems to be a lost art today or perhaps it is not entertaining in today's entertainment environment. What passes for a talk show today would be a variety show 40 years ago. Tom Snyder's show was the one to watch if you wanted to keep abreast of whats happening in pop culture in those days. Its odd thinking about how everybody smoked and flipped ashes every where.

Old 05-17-2021, 07:08 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 14 days ago)

16,120 posts, read 21,263,056 times
In a way they were the forerunner of social media. You watched and felt you were part of a group that let you in on the latest celeb gossip and rumors, political gaffes, social commentary, memes, etc.

Old 05-17-2021, 07:34 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,918,951 times
Dirt cheap programming, decent return on commercial ad spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV