Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 08:15 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,895,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Thank you for the suggestion but "unfortunately", I am in a TV blind spot. No broadcast, no cable, no streaming, no satellite.
How are you online?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 08:31 PM

3,558 posts, read 1,669,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Dirt cheap programming, decent return on commercial ad spots.
This. It was the reality tv of its time. Cheap, basically bunch self promoters usually well known in the past and now out of work. Didnt have to pay them anything much if anything at all.

Go watch the Johnny Carson reruns. It was the monologue with current political jokes of the time and current event jokes of the time. With his sidekick straightman Ed McMahon who would laugh at anything Carson said. Followed by "has been" actors looking for some exposure, or somebody selling a book or movie. Sometimes music act or even piece played by house "big band" led by Doc Severinsen

Old 05-17-2021, 08:36 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,609,881 times
I'm old enough to say I grew up watching Johnny Carson. Since then, none of the others have been worth watching, all the way from Letterman (his daytime show was good) to Fallon. Joan Rivers and Arsenio Hall ran a close second to Johnny but nobody else came close

Old 05-17-2021, 08:46 PM

8,092 posts, read 4,768,068 times
Back when the Tonight Show was at its peak, it was a variety show in many ways. JC had at least one actor/actress plugging a movie or TV show, but he would try to book comics, singers, authors, those zoo people who'd bring in animals, even have the orchestra perform on occasion to provide something for everyone. And of course he'd do comedy skits. Some of his best work, though, was booking some average person who had an interesting story (like a 100 year-old person, or maybe some grandmother who took up skydiving). He had the ability to juggle all sorts of people because he seemed genuinely interested, and because he did not focus totally on political jokes that targeted one side over the other. Everyone was a potential target, but it wasn't mean-spirited--it was all in fun. He was "aggressively inoffensive".

It wasn't until later on that the format seemed to be taken over by the PR people, booking an actor only if he had something to plug. I think Jay Leno wanted to make it more stand-up/comedy oriented (his area of specialty) over chatting with a cross-section of people. I think there was a reaction against Carson's style--Leno and Letterman both took the format and tried to put their own spin on it because they didn't want to be accused of copying. Letterman was more sarcastic and purposely self-deprecating, but also more remote than Carson seemed. But I could still see Carson's fingerprints all over their shows. It wasn't until those two also departed that the shows became more one-sided and cynical, some would even say mean-spirited. Someone convinced the current hosts that America needs to hear their opinions on politics, when all people really need at that hour is some light entertainment and (hopefully) a good wind-down before bed. One gets the idea that the interviews are superfluous, or at least not important to the hosts, and they're just filler between their own comedy bits...which is the exact opposite of what a talk show ought to be. The guests are coached heavily as to what the topics will be (even what their responses ought to be), so it's no longer spontaneous and entertaining--they have to do this because "natural conversation" doesn't seem to be the hosts' strong suit.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:29 PM

23,651 posts, read 14,116,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
There were many celebrities who were only known to late night TV. George Segal was always on, I often wondered what it was he did or use to do. People like Helen Gurley Brown,William Buckley, members of The Rat Pack, Carl Sagan, were on alot. I came to think that being a good conversationalist was an asset and that was why these people were always on "Talk Shows." Its seems to be a lost art today or perhaps it is not entertaining in today's entertainment environment. What passes for a talk show today would be a variety show 40 years ago. Tom Snyder's show was the one to watch if you wanted to keep abreast of whats happening in pop culture in those days. Its odd thinking about how everybody smoked and flipped ashes every where.
George Segal: played Quiller, Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe, Robin Hood, Just Shoot Me, other flicks. Can name him off the top of my head.

BUT......all goes to show for I had to look up Orson Bean, never knew him and I think he is a rare one that I have never seen, have barely anything with him in the library. A Twilight Zone and Innerspace, maybe a Love Boat, possibly a Love American Style (didn't check the seasons).

Ms. Brown I don't know, heard of Mr. Buckley but don't think I would recognize him.

The Rat Pack: Joey Bishop, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr......but that's more of a reference entry. Carl Sagan goes without comment.

As far as pop culture goes, well, I am rather one of the clueless. As an acting classmate once observed when we were playing the listening game "Who am I?", "The catch is, I don't think Tamara has a clue who Dr. Phil is." When Ms. Jenner made the magazine cover as woman of the year, I had to ask who that was because I didn't know, didn't understand what the hooplala was all about with that particular issue. I didn't know about Janet Jackson's ripoff till Thursday of the following week because I don't watch Superbowl. Heck, it wasn't until about 2 years ago that I learned that Superbowl's importance, of why people watch, wasn't for the game.......but the commercials associated with it.

I suffer from the Serena complex: incredibly intelligent but quite ignorant of popular culture. Ie, "This is a girl who can't read a menu but can read the stars like Galileo. She can't dial a telephone but she can tell you everything that went on in the bedroom of Alexander Graham Bell in 1912." (Serena's Richcraft, Bewitched)

The curious thing is that I can lock it in memory pretty quickly if I need to, such as if I am doing Improv......but I am much better at playing on the spur of the moment Joan of Arc's lawyer than I am the best friend of whatever celebrity bride is of the week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
How are you online?
At download speeds at best 300 kb/sec but usually 90 or less.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 05-17-2021 at 09:43 PM..

Old 05-18-2021, 11:46 AM

12,981 posts, read 13,727,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
George Segal: played Quiller, Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe, Robin Hood, Just Shoot Me, other flicks. Can name him off the top of my head.

BUT......all goes to show for I had to look up Orson Bean, never knew him and I think he is a rare one that I have never seen, have barely anything with him in the library. A Twilight Zone and Innerspace, maybe a Love Boat, possibly a Love American Style (didn't check the seasons).

Ms. Brown I don't know, heard of Mr. Buckley but don't think I would recognize him.

The Rat Pack: Joey Bishop, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr......but that's more of a reference entry. Carl Sagan goes without comment.

As far as pop culture goes, well, I am rather one of the clueless. As an acting classmate once observed when we were playing the listening game "Who am I?", "The catch is, I don't think Tamara has a clue who Dr. Phil is." When Ms. Jenner made the magazine cover as woman of the year, I had to ask who that was because I didn't know, didn't understand what the hooplala was all about with that particular issue. I didn't know about Janet Jackson's ripoff till Thursday of the following week because I don't watch Superbowl. Heck, it wasn't until about 2 years ago that I learned that Superbowl's importance, of why people watch, wasn't for the game.......but the commercials associated with it.

I suffer from the Serena complex: incredibly intelligent but quite ignorant of popular culture. Ie, "This is a girl who can't read a menu but can read the stars like Galileo. She can't dial a telephone but she can tell you everything that went on in the bedroom of Alexander Graham Bell in 1912." (Serena's Richcraft, Bewitched)

The curious thing is that I can lock it in memory pretty quickly if I need to, such as if I am doing Improv......but I am much better at playing on the spur of the moment Joan of Arc's lawyer than I am the best friend of whatever celebrity bride is of the week.

At download speeds at best 300 kb/sec but usually 90 or less.
George Segal could tell a good story. Everyone was expected to have one when you came on these shows. It had to be short and interesting enough to hold someones attention. I am not sure how long the story had to be but perhaps the legnth of the typical song on the radio or less. I was once at dinner with a well known author and his wife and she proceded to tell a story. Although her story was interesting, I remember thinking its just too long and it took up to much of the dinner conversation. She probably never watched the Tonight Show to learned how its done.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:03 PM

9,924 posts, read 7,293,983 times
I listened to a podcast telling the history of the late night shows recently.

The Tonight Show was designed to be a way to earn more advertising revenue when the other broadcasters went off the air at 11:30 PM. Steve Allen had a successful show on NBC in New York and the network took it national. It was cheap to produce as guests were only paid union scale for their appearance as they still are today.

For the last few years of Carson hosting the show, NBC was in a tough spot. They wanted him to retire as he was starting to mail in his show. It was cut from 90 to 60 minutes and he only wanted to do 3 shows a week all taped on the same day. He relied too much on having his friends on because it was easy and fun. But ratings suffered as younger people weren't interested in seeing Don Rickles again and instead turned to other late night shows. But NBC couldn't simply replace him. He had to choose to leave.

In the meantime, NBC had Leno and Letterman as possible replacements. Letterman was paid $1 million to not sign with another network between the cancellation of his daytime show and the development of Late Night. Leno was being paid even more to host one night a week for Carson to keep him from going anywhere else.

Carson had expected Letterman to take over the Tonight Show but NBC felt his style wouldn't translate at that hour. When Leno got the chair, Letterman asked to be released hence his move to CBS.

The late night shows today are about showcasing the latest celebrities and yes they are shilling their projects. But research (and ratings) have shown that's what people tune in for. The host and guest chatting about old times doesn't draw viewers nor advertisers.

Old 05-18-2021, 01:10 PM

17,702 posts, read 15,427,856 times
I always had something of a soft spot for Tom Snyder. I despised his cadence.. But he was a damn good interviewer.

Even Bob Costas when he was doing that Later show.. I enjoyed that.

But.. Take nothing away from the entertainment.. Loved Letterman for most of his run.. He got too crotchety and political towards the end.

Old 05-18-2021, 01:18 PM

51,091 posts, read 24,586,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I always had something of a soft spot for Tom Snyder. I despised his cadence.. But he was a damn good interviewer.

Even Bob Costas when he was doing that Later show.. I enjoyed that.

But.. Take nothing away from the entertainment.. Loved Letterman for most of his run.. He got too crotchety and political towards the end.
I was the opposite with Letterman. Couldn't stand him when he was on late late. But once he moved to the earlier spot, I really liked him.

Old 05-18-2021, 03:44 PM

17,702 posts, read 15,427,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I was the opposite with Letterman. Couldn't stand him when he was on late late. But once he moved to the earlier spot, I really liked him.

His Late Night show was so different. That's what I enjoyed about it. He was fine after the move to CBS, though he did lose a touch of the things that made him unique when he made the switch.

But it wasn't until the last 5-10 years.. I'd say after the bypass, but that was probably just the start of the change.. He was still OK past that. But, the last 5 or so.. He kinda turned mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV