Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 11:12 AM

641 posts, read 408,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Where are you watching these? I have seen a couple of the older seasons on YouTube, but they seem to come and go, and are not always available.
I have a VPN and can connect to just about any country in the world.

Old 05-24-2021, 11:51 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,434,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I don't think any of the posters here care about ethnicity either. My beef is that instead of just having the best and most interesting players who are fans of the show and would do anything to participate - these shows now actively go out and engage people off the street who never applied because they fit a certain type. I could care if the cast or contestants are all one race, religion or of a certain sexual preference as long as they weren't sought out to fill a particular spot. I'm sick of getting lectured to by these contestants and sick of every story line going down the Social Justice Warrior path and why I watch few shows anymore.

I'd much rather watch repeats of Flip Wilson, Carol Burnett, Archie Bunker or Good Times where not everything said was offensive back in the day. They'd never survive in the world today.
Where have you been, Survivor has been doing this for YEARS!! After the first few seasons, most of what we got were chiseled guys and bikini babes, with the occasional grizzled old guy or gal thrown in. It was definitely known that these model types were recruited around L.A.

I hadn't heard about the new diversity rule, so I just googled. Sean Rector and others started this movement against what they felt was systemic racism by the show. For example, the fact that Vecepia was never invited back to one of the all-winner shows. He says "please miss me with 'she's too boring'", but guess what, she WAS boring and I was furious when she won, I don't care what color she was. I always assumed not enough POC applied for the show, hence the unbalanced cast, but what do I know. I'm white. I cannot speak to what POC feel, nor can I say they are not entitled to feel that way. I love the show and will watch regardless.

Old 05-25-2021, 06:15 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,289,109 times
Inside Survivor has a peak at half of the rumored cast of this season! This first half of the cast is quite young so hopefully there are some older people in the second half of the cast. We also appear to have our second and third Canadian cast member since they started allowing Canadian residents to be on the show in season 39.

https://insidesurvivor.com/cast/season-41-cast

Old 05-25-2021, 05:12 PM

118 posts, read 87,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Inside Survivor has a peak at half of the rumored cast of this season! This first half of the cast is quite young so hopefully there are some older people in the second half of the cast. We also appear to have our second and third Canadian cast member since they started allowing Canadian residents to be on the show in season 39.

https://insidesurvivor.com/cast/season-41-cast

So far, half the cast looks quite interesting. Love the purple hair. And the grey haired younger guy. And the young doctor. That can come in handy for that show. Looking forward to seeing the other half. I just hope they don't waste so much time forming alliances and fighting like in the past, but I doubt that. I'd like to see one Survivor season where they are not allowed to form alliances or help each other. But romance should be allowed.

Old 05-25-2021, 09:12 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,434,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleidoscopic Chicken View Post
So far, half the cast looks quite interesting. Love the purple hair. And the grey haired younger guy. And the young doctor. That can come in handy for that show. Looking forward to seeing the other half. I just hope they don't waste so much time forming alliances and fighting like in the past, but I doubt that. I'd like to see one Survivor season where they are not allowed to form alliances or help each other. But romance should be allowed.
Romance IS allowed. Just not particularly smart. I reaaaaaallllly wish they'd get rid of all those ridiculous idols. I literally cannot keep track of who has idols half the time. Sometimes most of the tribe are sitting there at TC with idols. Others have complained about it too, but yet the producers seem to love them.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:32 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,640,451 times
Quote:
I don't think any of the posters here care about ethnicity either. My beef is that instead of just having the best and most interesting players who are fans of the show and would do anything to participate - these shows now actively go out and engage people off the street who never applied because they fit a certain type. I could care if the cast or contestants are all one race, religion or of a certain sexual preference as long as they weren't sought out to fill a particular spot. I'm sick of getting lectured to by these contestants and sick of every story line going down the Social Justice Warrior path and why I watch few shows anymore.
I don’t understand this argument. Do you think the producers can’t find eight people of color out of tens of thousands of people of color who are fans of the show and deserving? And besides, no matter a contestant skin color I kind of doubt any of them are picked these days because they’re a fan of the show. It’s likely 100% about their personality, background, etc.

And go all the way back to season one. Richard Hatch, a gay man, was almost certainly casted for a specific reason. It’s not like picking certain people is new.

Survivor in my opinion is heavily rigged and perhaps more so as the years go by. But I still find it entertaining and enjoy watching every season.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:38 PM

131,083 posts, read 12,245,267 times
I hope they go back to basic survivor, no idols, not hidden points or advantages, just vote people out & they're gone. No comeback islands. I think I enjoyed it better back then.

Old 05-26-2021, 03:48 PM

11,912 posts, read 5,884,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I don’t understand this argument. Do you think the producers can’t find eight people of color out of tens of thousands of people of color who are fans of the show and deserving? And besides, no matter a contestant skin color I kind of doubt any of them are picked these days because they’re a fan of the show. It’s likely 100% about their personality, background, etc.

And go all the way back to season one. Richard Hatch, a gay man, was almost certainly casted for a specific reason. It’s not like picking certain people is new.

Survivor in my opinion is heavily rigged and perhaps more so as the years go by. But I still find it entertaining and enjoy watching every season.
I didn't realize Survivor didn't pick from the thousands that signed up and were selectively going out and finding certain types. I know there was talk about this from shows like Big Brother but I really didn't think Survivor did this as so many of the contestants were duds in my opinion. I figured they looked good in the interviews but just didn't perform like that once on the show.

Old 05-28-2021, 06:24 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,289,109 times
Quote:
I didn't realize Survivor didn't pick from the thousands that signed up and were selectively going out and finding certain types. I know there was talk about this from shows like Big Brother but I really didn't think Survivor did this as so many of the contestants were duds in my opinion. I figured they looked good in the interviews but just didn't perform like that once on the show.
Survivor did do this for several years, especially in the teen seasons. I believe in Fiji, season 14, out of 19 castaways, all but 1 person that season was recruited and there was a huge uproar about it. For the last 10 or so seasons they've done really well at going back to only choosing people that apply. They do, however, tend to go for certain "types" of people. After Rupert, they seemed to try to find the next Rupert for a few seasons. After Malcolm they cast Malcolm types. They've been casting Aubry Bracco types after her popularity her first season in Kaoh Rong. It feels like they're still trying to find another Cochran. So while they don't really recruit anymore, they certainly do have "types" that they'll cast after they get someone really popular.

Old 05-28-2021, 05:29 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,640,451 times
Quote:
It's all speculation on my end. My guess is that over the years Survivor has increased the hand picked cast members over just the "fans". They may still filter through some fan videos but I would also question how many of those submitting videos are actual fans or just people that want to get on tv and they've never really watched survivor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV