Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 02:48 PM

7,271 posts, read 4,613,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Yup. Hollywood is bereft of original ideas. Kinda sad, aint it?
I wasnt aware Harry Andersen passed away in 2018.
It is sad. Didn't you see last year they rebooted Quantum Leap? I mean, come on now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2023, 02:50 PM

2,523 posts, read 3,273,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
It is sad. Didn't you see last year they rebooted Quantum Leap? I mean, come on now.
Not a fan of the original, so no. We ignore most of Network TV.

Old 01-16-2023, 03:19 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,601,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
Was watching Sunday Night Football and see that they're making a Night Court continuation. I'm going to sample this one, if only because John Larroquette is in it. It also looks like they're picking up Magnum PI from CBS. ...
Huh. I joined the "Kill your TV" movement in the 80s. Since then, unless there is something compelling enough to have a DVD at the library, or enough chatter about some series that we will pick it up on Prime, or Netflix, I'm clueless.

Old 01-17-2023, 01:44 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,865,453 times
Quote:
Was watching Sunday Night Football and see that they're making a Night Court continuation. I'm going to sample this one, if only because John Larroquette is in it. It also looks like they're picking up Magnum PI from CBS.

Larroquette is 75, and I hadn't realized that Markie Post is dead as is pretty much everyone else from the original cast (Richard Moll is nearly 80 years old).

I really don't know what to say...is Hollywood really so bereft of ideas in this woke age that they have to retread everything? Also, if you're a beloved 80's show and want to do anything new with the original cast you better get cracking, because people are getting old. Looking at you, Cheers. (Woody Harrelson is 61!)
Night Court was and is still one of my top sitcoms of all time - what they got away with in the 80s on Thursday nights still amazes me to this day!

The trailers and spots for the revived NC has been rather underwhelming to say the least - but I have to give it a fair try. I do wonder if Larroquette can still pull off the same physical comedy in his mid 70s.

Maybe they will surprise us with Abby Stone having the same love of Mel Torme that Harry had....

Old 01-17-2023, 01:58 PM

50 posts, read 34,464 times
Quote:
Was watching Sunday Night Football and see that they're making a Night Court continuation. I'm going to sample this one, if only because John Larroquette is in it. It also looks like they're picking up Magnum PI from CBS.

Larroquette is 75, and I hadn't realized that Markie Post is dead as is pretty much everyone else from the original cast (Richard Moll is nearly 80 years old).

I really don't know what to say...is Hollywood really so bereft of ideas in this woke age that they have to retread everything? Also, if you're a beloved 80's show and want to do anything new with the original cast you better get cracking, because people are getting old. Looking at you, Cheers. (Woody Harrelson is 61!)
This trend with reviving stuff has been happening awhile now. Personally I don't mind it if done right. A good example for me is the new Top Gun movie, and some revivals are sometimes better than the originals. Although I was a fan of The Karate Kid, Cobra Kai seems to be better...and has taken on a life all it's own.

Now, the New Kids in the Hall on the other end of the spectrum is not as good as the original, but still funny. I think what is missing for the new Kids in the Hall is the audience....without the audience it feels dry and drags on a bit. But, they did the revival for the fans, since the fans have been requesting it many years.

As far as a Cheers revival, that would be interesting.

Old 01-18-2023, 07:49 AM

5,082 posts, read 2,212,473 times
Watched first 2 episodes and enjoyed them. Think it is a mistake making Dan a public defender now though.

It takes away from what made his character great. Maybe they will make it work though, Dan is no longer a sexual deviant either which is really different from his character. Guess old age and time changed even him. Still funny as heck though!

Old 01-18-2023, 08:25 AM

17,754 posts, read 15,539,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Watched first 2 episodes and enjoyed them. Think it is a mistake making Dan a public defender now though.

It takes away from what made his character great. Maybe they will make it work though, Dan is no longer a sexual deviant either which is really different from his character. Guess old age and time changed even him. Still funny as heck though!

You enjoyed that?

The janitor for the building was pretty good. Probably the best character.

I'll give it a bit.. Sometimes.. Shows take time to find their legs.. I mean, the original Night Court took three or four seasons before they assembled the cast that everyone remembers.

But this.. Was pretty bad. Maybe not Cop Rock levels of bad.. But pretty close.

Old 01-18-2023, 11:27 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,337,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Think it is a mistake making Dan a public defender now though.
I will reserve judgement until I watch the new episodes, but one of the funniest parts of the original was Dan as the prosecutor reciting the details of a case in court. Not sure that would translate as well with him on the other side.

Old 01-18-2023, 10:16 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,865,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You enjoyed that?

The janitor for the building was pretty good. Probably the best character.

I'll give it a bit.. Sometimes.. Shows take time to find their legs.. I mean, the original Night Court took three or four seasons before they assembled the cast that everyone remembers.

But this.. Was pretty bad. Maybe not Cop Rock levels of bad.. But pretty close.
Aside from Dan and the janitor...the rest of the cast seems to be trying way, way too hard to be "quirky".

The second episode they seemed to ease off the quirkiness a bit - but Abby Stone is just way too sugary-sweet for me right now.

Still will give it a few more episodes.

Old 01-19-2023, 10:01 AM

17,754 posts, read 15,539,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
Aside from Dan and the janitor...the rest of the cast seems to be trying way, way too hard to be "quirky".

The second episode they seemed to ease off the quirkiness a bit - but Abby Stone is just way too sugary-sweet for me right now.

Still will give it a few more episodes.

Yes, yes, yes.. A thousand times, yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV