Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2023, 08:34 PM

1,606 posts, read 874,437 times

Advertisements

Was watching Sunday Night Football and see that they're making a Night Court continuation. I'm going to sample this one, if only because John Larroquette is in it. It also looks like they're picking up Magnum PI from CBS.

Larroquette is 75, and I hadn't realized that Markie Post is dead as is pretty much everyone else from the original cast (Richard Moll is nearly 80 years old).

I really don't know what to say...is Hollywood really so bereft of ideas in this woke age that they have to retread everything? Also, if you're a beloved 80's show and want to do anything new with the original cast you better get cracking, because people are getting old. Looking at you, Cheers. (Woody Harrelson is 61!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2023, 11:10 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,606,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
Was watching Sunday Night Football and see that they're making a Night Court continuation. I'm going to sample this one, if only because John Larroquette is in it. It also looks like they're picking up Magnum PI from CBS.

Larroquette is 75, and I hadn't realized that Markie Post is dead as is pretty much everyone else from the original cast (Richard Moll is nearly 80 years old).

I really don't know what to say...is Hollywood really so bereft of ideas in this woke age that they have to retread everything? Also, if you're a beloved 80's show and want to do anything new with the original cast you better get cracking, because people are getting old. Looking at you, Cheers. (Woody Harrelson is 61!)
That happened back in July of 2022.

CBS canceled the reboot of Magnum. A groundswell of online fan support followed, and then NBC picked it up....announced in July of 2022....... for 20 new episodes over two seasons (at least in the initial agreement)....time and night to be determined. Which NBC 'sister' network to air the back years of reruns also to be determined....but some thought the USA network.

FYI, there is a thread (in the Celebrities forum, IIRC) about Markie Post's passing.

Old 01-09-2023, 01:47 AM

19,756 posts, read 20,312,780 times
Quote:

I thought I caught a brief clip of a new Night Court commercial the other day, lol, I was like what the hell was that....?!

Looks pretty bad, to me. I can't..... I can't even... lol

Old 01-09-2023, 09:05 AM

17,652 posts, read 15,352,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

CBS canceled the reboot of Magnum. A groundswell of online fan support followed, and then NBC picked it up....announced in July of 2022....... for 20 new episodes over two seasons (at least in the initial agreement)....time and night to be determined. Which NBC 'sister' network to air the back years of reruns also to be determined....but some thought the USA network.

FYI, there is a thread (in the Celebrities forum, IIRC) about Markie Post's passing.

I'll cut some slack because Markie Post's death did kinda slide under the radar.. Frankly, so did Harry Anderson's.

Night Court had 2 deaths before it even went off the air.

But.. The original point here.. No original ideas.. Yeah.. It's kinda been that way for a while now. I mean, some of the reboots/continuations are decent.. See the new Quantum Leap.. But.. They're still not any kind of original idea.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:51 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,606,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

Just learned Season 5 of the Magnum reboot premiers on NBC on Sunday February 19th at 9/8 central.

Old 01-12-2023, 12:28 PM

19,736 posts, read 10,166,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'll cut some slack because Markie Post's death did kinda slide under the radar.. Frankly, so did Harry Anderson's.

Night Court had 2 deaths before it even went off the air.

But.. The original point here.. No original ideas.. Yeah.. It's kinda been that way for a while now. I mean, some of the reboots/continuations are decent.. See the new Quantum Leap.. But.. They're still not any kind of original idea.
Harry Anderson made that show.

Old 01-12-2023, 04:30 PM

37,313 posts, read 59,971,020 times
Quote:

Yes—TV land is that desolate

Old 01-16-2023, 12:52 PM

2,506 posts, read 3,257,605 times
Yup. Hollywood is bereft of original ideas. Kinda sad, aint it?
I wasnt aware Harry Andersen passed away in 2018.

Old 01-16-2023, 01:32 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,841,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Yup. Hollywood is bereft of original ideas. Kinda sad, aint it?
I wasnt aware Harry Andersen passed away in 2018.
Hollywood doesn't come up with ideas.

Production companies and networks hear pitches. It is easier than ever to get an idea out there, in this inter-connected digital age. Shows are picked up for precisely one reason: ratings. That's why series are revived, rebooted, sequeled. The brand already exists, and with it a built-in audience. Neither needs to be created from scratch. They're a better financial bet. No studio CEO ever says "I want originality!"; they say "I want ratings!".

This is not at all complicated. I have no idea why people can't understand it.

Old 01-16-2023, 02:41 PM

2,562 posts, read 2,226,821 times
The 1980's seem to be a major source of reboot material. I'm waiting for the reboots of "Airwolf", "Manimal", "Automan", and "I Married Dora".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV