Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 04:42 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times

Advertisements

That's evaluated by casting agents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 10:17 AM

10,085 posts, read 1,021,417 times
this reminds me of "talkies" (1929) - actors/actresses who were stars in silent films were doomed because of the speaking voices ("Singin in the Rain").

Old 08-25-2023, 09:57 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Ie, one of the reasons why I didn't watch Enterprise because I thought Scott Bakula was wrong for the part. His voice is too squeeky.

I was recalling a scene from Airwolf II this morning and it hit me that Jerry Van D*ke was wrong for the part because his voice was too gentle.......if not very confident.

When casting for a TV show, do they consider how the player's voice comes across? Or do they figure they have so many cards in the game, if it doesn't sound right......"they can always shoot around it"?
Sometimes.

That was obviously the case for Star Wars. When they went into the editing studio and started watching the scenes, well, Darth Vader just didn't sound darth enough, so the incomparable James Earl Jones to the rescue.

Watch Chorus Line. That's Bob Fossey's (a choreographer) daughter. She was chosen in part because she did have a squeaky voice.

Regarding Enterprise, Bakula is the reason I couldn't watch it.

The other characters were fine but Bakula is just not captain material. He couldn't even captain a captain's chair.

Think about the original Star Trek. If Jeffrey what's-his-name is captain that show gets cancelled halfway through the first season. On Next Generation, Stewart is the only person who could have pulled that off.

Anyone in charge of anything has to project that image. I saw that over and over in the Army. I remember one briefing a guy walked in and he didn't look like a major but the minute he started talking, well, he had everybody's attention.

Image alone is not enough always. You need the voice to go with it.

Old 08-26-2023, 01:29 PM

609 posts, read 528,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
Morgan Freeman comes to mind here..
As does Fran Drescher.

Old 08-29-2023, 02:38 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Strange question. Of course an actor's voice quality would be an important consideration! They don't pantomime dialogue, they speak it out loud! OTOH, choosing an actor to take advantage of their box office draw or physical presence for a role certainly could override a less than perfect voice.
The movie “Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan” with Christopher Lambert made a big change because of voice
Andie McDowell—tall, dark-haired, and relatively young—was cast as Jane in the movie but her accent/voice couldn’t cut it— so Glenn Close was hired to voice over all Jane’s dialogue…
MacDowell was devastated but had no clout—and frankly she couldn’t do what the role required—make her character believable as upper class British debutant…
It is so strange to watch her in Greystoke and then in something like “Groundhog Day” or “Michael”
She is sexier with Glenn Close’s voice—sexier than Close w/her own voice

Old 08-29-2023, 02:40 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston3124 View Post
As does Fran Drescher.
Carole Kane has very unique voice as does Sissy Spacek

Old 08-29-2023, 02:51 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
James Earl Jones says "hi".

Old 09-02-2023, 12:57 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
When casting for a TV show, do they consider how the player's voice comes across?
Yes, they absolutely do. And that goes for movies, too.

Watch the original West Side Story. Natalie Wood's songs were performed by Marnie Nixon.

More common in movies than on TV.

Old 09-03-2023, 12:10 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
James Earl Jones says "hi".
Beat me to it. I'll add Morgan Freeman to that. When you need a deep, resonant voice that says, "You can trust what I'm saying" without actually saying so, then those two are your go-to guys. I'd say the same for Lorne Greene, if he was still with us. Might as well add Leslie Nielsen; he has passed too, but he had a wonderful voice. And of course, we cannot forget Don LaFontaine, whose voice you've heard many times, in movie trailers. "In a world where ...," and so on.

An actor may fulfill the physical requirements of the role (height, weight, looks, etc.), but if he or she doesn't have the necessary voice, then he or she will be passed over in favour of one who does. The movie "Singin' in the Rain" is a fun examination of how no matter how good an actress looks, if she doesn't have the voice, she won't be cast. And it would be the same for actors.

Old 09-13-2023, 07:23 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
True ......but.....some exceptions....

Sylvester Stallone's voice...?....good for boxer roles.....

Arnold Schwarzenegger ......his thick accent could have hurt his acting roles ....but it didn't....

Even Tom Selleck ....a relatively higher pitched "small" voice for such a big man....
I've always loved Tom Selleck and I recall an interview with him where he said he didn't like his voice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV