Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 11:31 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
There was a season One? Where would you watch that?
I thought last night would be the finale, but it looks like next week is.
Season 1 was subtitled Bette and Joan and revolved around the rivalry between Bette Davis and Joan Crawford and the production of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2024, 12:01 PM

1,894 posts, read 892,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Season 1 was subtitled Bette and Joan and revolved around the rivalry between Bette Davis and Joan Crawford and the production of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

You can watch it on Hulu, and it's well worth it. Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange are outstanding.

Old 03-07-2024, 03:17 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
And I don’t care for Hollander’s portrayal of Capote nor Calista Flockhart as Lee Radziwill. I love Naomi Watts, though, as Babe Paley and Diane Lane as Slim Keith.
Naomi Watts was incredible in that role.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-07-2024, 03:25 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Molly Ringwald plays Joanne Carson in this.

In the series, created by Ryan Murphy and written by Jon Robin Baitz, she stars as Joanne Carson, second wife of “Tonight Show” host Johnny Carson, who befriended Capote at the height of his literary stardom in the ’60s. She remained loyal to him to the bitter end — despite the fact “La Côte Basque” included embarrassing details about a woman named “Jane Baxter” whose doomed marriage to a philandering comedian clearly resembled her own. So devoted was Carson that she even gave Capote a writing room in her Bel-Air home, where he often stayed for months at a time — and where he died in 1984, in exile on the West Coast, having never published another book since his masterpiece, “In Cold Blood,” almost two decades earlier. The unlikely partnership endured posthumously: Carson received a portion of Capote’s ashes when he died, and they are interred next to each other at Westwood Cemetery. (She died in 2015.)

“She really, really thought that she was helping a genius create, and she had a lot of respect for his writing,” Ringwald says of Carson and her relationship with Capote. “They were outcasts at the same time because Joanne had divorced Johnny; she was no longer in the Hollywood elite, and he was shunned by all the swans.”

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...e-vs-the-swans

Old 03-08-2024, 09:21 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
I LOVE Hollander's work in this. It is perfection. And Watts and Sevigny are spectacular.

But I don't like Ringwald as Carson at all. I remember Joanne, and her physicality was SO different from Ringwald's. Ringwald's gangliness and bulimia teeth are really distracting.

For those who aren't liking that there isn't a straight narrative flow throughout the series, I want to say: think of each episode as a short story. Capote's short stories were jewels, and so are the episodes in this show. I'm sure the writers of this series were influenced by the structure that Capote used in his work.

Old 03-08-2024, 01:10 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
He is a remarkable actor. Despite his rather benign physical presence, he's played some of the most menacing characters I've ever seen. Did anyone else catch his performance in The White Lotus?
"These gays are trying to kill me!"......Jennifer Coolidge is one of the few people who could get away with saying a line like that and making it so darn funny.

Another role where I thought Hollander is pretty menacing is The Night Manager, which co-stars Tom Hiddleston, Hugh Laurie and Olivia Colman. It also has some beautiful shooting locations- The Swiss Alps, Mallorca, Cairo. I enjoyed the show and recommend it if you haven't seen it.

Old 03-08-2024, 02:01 PM

5,459 posts, read 8,178,236 times
I was an adult when the things depicted in this TV series occurred, and because of his writing and appearances on talk shows, I remember Truman Capote well. But as far as the Swans go, the only one I was ever aware of or knew about was Lee Radziwill, and that’s only because of her sister. I guess I should have read Vogue and other fashion magazines.

I do remember Katharine Graham who is mentioned a few times, but I don’t think she was a Swan. Probably too busy at the Post to be one.

Because of this, I don’t know if they are accurately portrayed or look like the actors in the series. And I suppose because of this, in the latest episode, I didn’t care whether Babe Paley lived or died.

Old 03-08-2024, 05:41 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times
If these weren't "famous" people, it would be as interesting as the Real Housewives of Atlanta.

Old 03-08-2024, 06:03 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
There was a very interesting piece in the New York Times today. It was written by Babe Paley's granddaughter. Here's a link to the article. I hope it doesn't have a paywall but I know there are work-arounds for that, although I don't know what they are. With any luck it will be accessible to all.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/06/o...ans-paley.html
I also read that article the other day. According to the granddaughter, her grandmother was very warm and loving-not at all as portrayed in the story. She also gave up smoking as soon as she was diagnosed with cancer. Most of this story is fictionalized. I don't think Babe Paley ever spoke to Capote again after the article was published.

Old 03-09-2024, 07:19 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
"These gays are trying to kill me!"......Jennifer Coolidge is one of the few people who could get away with saying a line like that and making it so darn funny.

Another role where I thought Hollander is pretty menacing is The Night Manager, which co-stars Tom Hiddleston, Hugh Laurie and Olivia Colman. It also has some beautiful shooting locations- The Swiss Alps, Mallorca, Cairo. I enjoyed the show and recommend it if you haven't seen it.
I did see The Night Manager (having read the book) and you couldn't be more justified in your enthusiasm. My husband and I even booked a cruise to the Balearics after watching it!
Great performances all, but the standout was Olivia Colman. I doubt it was mere coincidence that her career went into overdrive after this role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV