Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 07:35 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post

For those who aren't liking that there isn't a straight narrative flow throughout the series, I want to say: think of each episode as a short story. Capote's short stories were jewels, and so are the episodes in this show. I'm sure the writers of this series were influenced by the structure that Capote used in his work.
The non-linear narrative style is pretty evident in most of Ryan Murphy's body of work. It's typically associated with dramatic styling in Eastern cultures, as opposed to the more linear flow of Western style (exposition, rising action, climax, denouement).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2024, 07:16 AM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I also read that article the other day. According to the granddaughter, her grandmother was very warm and loving-not at all as portrayed in the story. She also gave up smoking as soon as she was diagnosed with cancer. Most of this story is fictionalized. I don't think Babe Paley ever spoke to Capote again after the article was published.
I read the article as well. It was scathing. At the end of the article, she rightfully shamed the show’s [male] creators for profiting from her grandmother’s legacy by misogynisticaly distorting Paley’s character. And I think that the granddaughter’s critique is very on point: the characterizations of Capote and these women are one-dimensional and, even, sordid in an almost tabloidesque fashion because the show’s creators decided that was the best way to dramatize and thereby capitalize on the story, which is unfortunate. Such a missed opportunity.

If the creators had written nuanced and complicated characterizations of these women and Capote, then there would have been much more of a story and the series would have been interesting. Instead, they just gave us the same worn out and tired narrative of a bitchy, promiscuous gay man and his bitchy, rich frenemies. So disappointing.

Old 03-13-2024, 10:30 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
The show keep repeating the same scenes and is focusing more on Capote and not enough on the swans. IMO it’s getting boring but I will finish watching it to the conclusion.
I thought that too until his French friend came. That episode knocked it out of the park.

Old 03-13-2024, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I thought that too until his French friend came. That episode knocked it out of the park.
James Baldwin was French? Who knew?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Baldwin

Old 03-13-2024, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I read the article as well. It was scathing. At the end of the article, she rightfully shamed the show’s [male] creators for profiting from her grandmother’s legacy by misogynisticaly distorting Paley’s character. And I think that the granddaughter’s critique is very on point: the characterizations of Capote and these women are one-dimensional and, even, sordid in an almost tabloidesque fashion because the show’s creators decided that was the best way to dramatize and thereby capitalize on the story, which is unfortunate. Such a missed opportunity.

If the creators had written nuanced and complicated characterizations of these women and Capote, then there would have been much more of a story and the series would have been interesting. Instead, they just gave us the same worn out and tired narrative of a bitchy, promiscuous gay man and his bitchy, rich frenemies. So disappointing.
I think you correctly identified the problem here: Archetypal aging, narcissistic queen goes to war with archetypal aging, narcissistic society mavens...not a recipe for viewer satisfaction. It's like watching a ping-pong match: Rage, lament, rage, lament. There has to be more nuance to these (IRL) clearly complex characters. Only the portrayals of CZ Guest and Joanne Carson seem to have escaped this cycle.

I found this interview with a late-in-life Lee Radziwill interesting, as she appears so unlike the portrayal we've been seeing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yigFNq_cXxs&t=129s

Old 03-13-2024, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
James Baldwin was French? Who knew?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Baldwin
Not sure I would call him French. He was an American expat who lived in France for most of his life and died there. But he was born and educated in the U.S. In that regard, he is like Josephine Baker, who also lived in France to get away from the violent racism in the U.S.

Old 03-13-2024, 12:05 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,783,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
There was a very interesting piece in the New York Times today. It was written by Babe Paley's granddaughter. Here's a link to the article. I hope it doesn't have a paywall but I know there are work-arounds for that, although I don't know what they are. With any luck it will be accessible to all.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/06/o...ans-paley.html
It is true that William Paley was a compulsive womanizer.

Old 03-13-2024, 12:17 PM

5,459 posts, read 8,178,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
There was a very interesting piece in the New York Times today. It was written by Babe Paley's granddaughter. Here's a link to the article. I hope it doesn't have a paywall but I know there are work-arounds for that, although I don't know what they are. With any luck it will be accessible to all.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/06/o...ans-paley.html
What the granddaughter says might be true, and it might not. It's just what one person is saying. For all I know, maybe the TV show is more accurate.

Old 03-13-2024, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Not sure I would call him French. He was an American expat who lived in France for most of his life and died there. But he was born and educated in the U.S. In that regard, he is like Josephine Baker, who also lived in France to get away from the violent racism in the U.S.
That is the more accurate statement. Both expatriated for the sake of artistic (and in Baldwin's case, sexual) freedom.

Old 03-14-2024, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
What the granddaughter says might be true, and it might not. It's just what one person is saying. For all I know, maybe the TV show is more accurate.
I believe the granddaughter’s memories more than I believe those of people who never even met Paley but are clearly profiting from presenting a sensationalized version of her to audiences. Moreover, even if some of the Feud characterization of Paley is true, the point is that the portraits of all of the characters in this series are very one-dimensional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV