Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 01:53 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times

Advertisements

Anyone have thoughts on the ads? I thought.. One of the weakest years ever.

A few chuckles, but no commercial really jumped out at me. The Arnold "Neighbah" was a decent concept that, I thought went on a bit too long. The M&M's ad with the 'runner up' ring had potential but didn't fulfill it..

The top 10.. according to USA Today..

10) Dorito's Dina and Mita.. Not bad. One of the best, which, speaks to how bad most were. We won't be talking about this one in 10 years. Of course, I don't think we'll be talking about ANY of them even next year,

9) Verizon "Can't B Broken" - Meh. Not bad. Not great.

8) Budweiser - Old School Delivery. Snowstorm and you're still gonna deliver beer? Yeah, right. Unbelievable on so many levels.

7) BMW "Talkin' like Walken" - Ok.. I got a chuckle out of this one. I'd probably put this in the top 3.

6) Dove "Hard Knocks" - For an ad to get you to think.. It did that, so.. I'll give this one props for that.

5) NFL "Born to Play" - I actually thought the lead up ads to it were better

4) Uber Eats "Worth Remembering" - Didn't care for it.

3) Kia "Perfect 10" - points for tugging on the heartstrings.. But how many grandpas have a frozen pond in front of their house and like that dad strung up all the lights around the pond..

2) Dunkin' "The DunKings" - honestly, I thought the "Not Tom Brady" draftkings or whatever it was ad was better. I found this.. Annoying.

1) State Farm "Good Neighbah" - Yeah, it probably was one of the best of the night.. Which is sad.

I'll throw some that I liked, but.. Wouldn't rank them as great or anything..

Paramount Plus - Patrick Stewart basically playing a real live version of Avery Bullock from American Dad

Kawasaki "Mullets" - The random Stone Cold cameo got me.

Etsy "Thank You France" - This might be the biggest missed opportunity.. This had potential. But.. Didn't really follow through

Some of the BAD..

I don't mind the "He Gets Us" ads.. But the feet washing creeped me right out. yes, I know Jesus did that. Feet bug me.

The Google 'in frame' for the visually impaired.. Ok.. But, did you have to get someone with that milky eye?

Most of the Homes.com ads.

The Kennedy ad.. No. This was the lowest ranked ad of all, according to USA Today and.. I'd agree.

Oh, and props to Fanduel or DraftKings, whoever it was that tossed the tribute to Carl Weathers in there. A nice little touch after having him in your Super Bowl Commercial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2024, 02:00 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
I was glad to see the tribute to Carl Weathers.

The RFK Jr. commercial was lame. That was from a Pac not the campaign.

Deliveries still come in bad weather. Deadlines are deadlines.

Old 02-12-2024, 02:06 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
My fav was the VW commercial. It was elegant and understated and nostalgic...and I'm a sucker for the Bud Clydesdales horses--they make me smile and this year's was a good one.

I found most of the others way overdone and dumb.

Old 02-12-2024, 02:25 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Not many good ones.

I thought the best was State Farm with Arnold and Danny DeVito.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XunR...eFarmInsurance

Old 02-12-2024, 02:30 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noJXHyBPvnQ

Old 02-12-2024, 03:22 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
My fav was the VW commercial. It was elegant and understated and nostalgic...and I'm a sucker for the Bud Clydesdales horses--they make me smile and this year's was a good one.

I found most of the others way overdone and dumb.

You know that "Force" commercial is now 13 years old and the kid from it is 19? Apparently, that kid has gone on to be on Soap Operas. Young and the Restless, it seems. but.. Just to make us all feel old.

The VW ad did catch my eye. I wouldn't put it as a top one, but it wasn't bad, either.

What did AB have? 2 or 3 commercials? There was a Bud, Bud Light and a Michelob Ultra commercial. Then Coors had the one with LL Cool J.. But.. A very muted representation from the beer companies this year.

Tide actually made an impact a few years back with their "It's a Tide ad" series.. They probably killed their budget for the next 10 years with all the ad space they bought then.

Seemed pretty light on crypto and investment ads as well. I'll just lump them both together. We got the standard E-Trade ad, which.. Ok. Not as good as some they have done, but.. That's the only one I can think of?

Movie ads were all pointing you somewhere to watch the ad. WTF? i guess they figured a 15 second spot was cheaper and they got the same impressions.

No idea why PlutoTV was advertising.. Seemed massively out of place.

Old 02-12-2024, 04:50 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Worst year ever for Superbowl commercials. The only one that really stuck with me was the religious/christian commercial. I am not christian and not even really religious but as a human, I really liked the message they were sending with that - BE KIND. LOVE. DONT HATE. Despite the fact that the horrible Hobby Lobby family is behind it, I think the message itself is pretty cool and can be adopted by ANY and ALL religions and people.

Old 02-12-2024, 04:53 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Oh gosh. I always thought of Chevrolet to be the American brand. Volkswagen is a Nazi car.
Josef Ganz, who built an early prototype, was Jewish. He barely escaped the Gestapo and eventually left Europe and settled in Australia. Madison Ave. is rewriting history.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...gen-is-founded

Old 02-12-2024, 05:06 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Worst year ever for Superbowl commercials. The only one that really stuck with me was the religious/christian commercial. I am not christian and not even really religious but as a human, I really liked the message they were sending with that - BE KIND. LOVE. DONT HATE. Despite the fact that the horrible Hobby Lobby family is behind it, I think the message itself is pretty cool and can be adopted by ANY and ALL religions and people.
I thought it was one of those diversity, inclusion, equity, racism type videos at first, then it turned out to be about Jesus.

Old 02-12-2024, 05:13 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You know that "Force" commercial is now 13 years old and the kid from it is 19? Apparently, that kid has gone on to be on Soap Operas. Young and the Restless, it seems. but.. Just to make us all feel old.

The VW ad did catch my eye. I wouldn't put it as a top one, but it wasn't bad, either.

What did AB have? 2 or 3 commercials? There was a Bud, Bud Light and a Michelob Ultra commercial. Then Coors had the one with LL Cool J.. But.. A very muted representation from the beer companies this year.

Tide actually made an impact a few years back with their "It's a Tide ad" series.. They probably killed their budget for the next 10 years with all the ad space they bought then.

Seemed pretty light on crypto and investment ads as well. I'll just lump them both together. We got the standard E-Trade ad, which.. Ok. Not as good as some they have done, but.. That's the only one I can think of?

Movie ads were all pointing you somewhere to watch the ad. WTF? i guess they figured a 15 second spot was cheaper and they got the same impressions.

No idea why PlutoTV was advertising.. Seemed massively out of place.
Pluto TV is owned by Paramount whose CBS was televising the game. They wanted to drive eyeballs to this FAST service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV