Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 03:18 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,847,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Another show bites the dust. ABC has cancelled Life on Mars although they will allow it to finish the season and we will get resolution.

I am done watching new shows, they all get cancelled.
I hear ya... Journeyman, New Amsterdam, Moonlight, now Life on Mars... at least they will let it come to a resolution. This one really hurts because I think of all the shows I listed, Life on Mars was the best. The writing, acting, directing, music... all top notch. I'm really going to miss this one. I'm thinking the British have the right idea with shows like this... make them with a limited shelf like of only a couple seasons so people will stick with it until the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 05:30 AM

617 posts, read 2,073,447 times
Well, I guess that frees up my Wednesday nights. I'm done with network TV. I'll stick with Burn Notice and Saving Grace.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:05 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
Dag nabbit!!!! Just figures!!!! Boo to ABC.

I did read that BBC America is going to start running the original series, Ashes to Ashes, the show that LOM is based upon. Only the cop is a woman and she gets transported back into the early 80's ... could be good ... music of my teens and twenties.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:34 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Dag nabbit!!!! Just figures!!!! Boo to ABC.

I did read that BBC America is going to start running the original series, Ashes to Ashes, the show that LOM is based upon. Only the cop is a woman and she gets transported back into the early 80's ... could be good ... music of my teens and twenties.
'Ashes to Ashes' is actually the sequel to the original 'Life on Mars'.
BBCA started running 'Ashes to Ashes' this past weekend, with repeats during the week and again on Saturday.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:56 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Maybe if they are complaining about not having enough viewers to justify the cost of the show, they could move it earlier to a 9pm slot?? Duh- my son and I love this show, but 10pm start time means sometimes we miss it because we're too tired to stay up. How can this show be canceled, but they are sticking with Dancing With the Has-Beens for like the 57th run? For Chrissakes, they are still airing ubercra.p like Wife Swap on ABC!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:33 PM

18,025 posts, read 27,475,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I watched this show for the first time the other night (because it was on after LOST) and really enjoyed it. ...
Same here. I would have never paid attention to this show if it weren't for Post-LOST-DVR-Bleedoff. After watching pre-recorded LOST episodes, I caught like the first minute of the show and decided to watch some Christopha... post Sopranos.

I've only seen about the last 5 or 6 episodes and don't know if I'm gonna worry about the first 7 or not.

You are talking about "Ashes to Ashes" in here. It was already mentioned back on post 11.

There was talk about the 70s settings. That's exactly what I like about the show; not that it features Harvey Keitel and Michael Imperioli. If I wanted more of them, I'd watch reruns of Sopranos and Pulp Fiction, the Bad Lieutenant, Resevoir Dogs, and Goodfellas.

The early 70s was the best; the cars, the music, and the leftover cars and music from the early, mid, and late 60s. The show stands on its own, I think.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:26 AM

Saw yesterday that the original BBC series, with the incomparable John Simm, will finally be released on region 1 DVD in July.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:57 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Maybe if they are complaining about not having enough viewers to justify the cost of the show, they could move it earlier to a 9pm slot?? Duh- my son and I love this show, but 10pm start time means sometimes we miss it because we're too tired to stay up. How can this show be canceled, but they are sticking with Dancing With the Has-Beens for like the 57th run? For Chrissakes, they are still airing ubercra.p like Wife Swap on ABC!

You cant really blame ABC. They are in the business to make money and when a show that isnt cheap to produce only get 2 million viewers, it doesnt justify keeping it around. They have to go with what gets ratings.

I blame the American public for watching the mindless dribble that they do.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:00 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,534,951 times
I flat out loved the BBC version and watched it religiously. It was very well acted and produced, for the most part, it is BBC after all. Now after seeing the series conclude, on BBC I had a tough time getting into the ABC version. Not that it was that bad, it just wasn't the way I had already experienced it.

Ashes to Ashes, the BBC sequel is definately a relief to us Life on Mars fans. No Spoilers here, incase ABC decides to complete the series with an actual conclusion, like the BBC show did. Ashes to Ashes is a True Sequel, nuff said.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
I flat out loved the BBC version and watched it religiously. It was very well acted and produced, for the most part, it is BBC after all. Now after seeing the series conclude, on BBC I had a tough time getting into the ABC version. Not that it was that bad, it just wasn't the way I had already experienced it.

Ashes to Ashes, the BBC sequel is definately a relief to us Life on Mars fans. No Spoilers here, incase ABC decides to complete the series with an actual conclusion, like the BBC show did. Ashes to Ashes is a True Sequel, nuff said.
One of the things I love most about the BBC shows is that they do have actual conclusions. It's like reading a good book. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a TV series that runs for one or two seasons, tells a complete story and ends.

I watched the first episode of 'Ashes to Ashes' last night - all I'm gonna say is 'wow.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV