Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 09:27 AM

240 posts, read 387,014 times

Advertisements

The show is for entertainment and we watch because we support one side or the other ie: its their culture, protect the whales, maybe they'll get hurt. Having a sustainable quota doesn't sound outrageous to me. If the people like it so much then paying more for it shouldn't be a problem. I know I liked it when the local gas stations where having a price war in the early sixtys and it was in the mid twenty cent range but those days are history and now I just pay what it costs. The facts of what is being done out there where no one goes was an ideal situation for the companies engaged in it, now that a spotlight is being shined on them and having world opion to contend with is putting a lot of pressure on them and the governing bodies that oversee them also may feel enough pressure to act in their best interst since being seen as turning a blind eye to what is happening is not what a politician wants for what can be a sustainable resource in many ways and not just as food for peoples stomach, but food for thought too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 09:38 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,590,681 times
Last nights episode didn't disappoint. When they lowered that boat filled with people and being piloted by a schoolteacher into the antarctic at full speed and nearly killed everyone on board only to bring it back on board because the sea was too rough was killer.

Next week we see the end of the failboat. I'm almost giddy about it.
FAIL BOAT

Old 07-10-2010, 10:09 AM

8,878 posts, read 13,975,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
So we're A - OK with the Chinese raising and eating dogs. They aren't an endangered species, like some whale types. We in the US do support them, apparently, because we aren't protesting their dog eating. It's their culture.

So, since the Japanese love eating whale meat, are you saying we should let them wipe out all whales, even the endangered ones, because it's their culture?
Spoiler
I do not want to turn this into a political debate, so I am using the box for my answer. It should be up to the collective governments of the world to decide and enforce what is legal or not. It should not be up to some terroristic nutjob whose crafty skills at attention grabbing and twisting the truth to suit his donations to make a stand. If you follow the IWC closely, they are putting up with the numbers of whales the Japanese plan to take each season. They are not taking the population to extinction. Again, I am not a fan of whaling, but I am vehemently opposed to the antics of Captain Bumbles and the hippies.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:38 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,295,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Obviously this isn't the popular answer, but I kind of like the shows concept.

Most people agree that the Japanese are wrong. They've found a legal loop hole......but most people agree they're doing a bad thing. The Bob Barker crew is trying to protect these whales from a slow & painful death. So I'm wishing them the best of luck in stopping the bloody killings.

I also agree with the concept but not with the actuality.

Last edited by Beretta; 07-10-2010 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: quoted post deleted

Old 07-10-2010, 02:50 PM

17,029 posts, read 31,038,262 times
Whale Whores - Episode Guide - South Park Studios

Old 07-10-2010, 06:42 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,590,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
outstanding

that episode was spot on!

Last edited by LongIslandCitizen; 07-10-2010 at 07:07 PM..

Old 07-11-2010, 12:09 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,985,708 times
Adios boat and Aussie sailor...Bye bye boat boat man. Wow, I feel special

Old 07-11-2010, 12:22 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,620,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
very much like the CDF attacks on AZ attempting to defend its borders, the CDF attacks on the whale defenders is sad. japan is in blatant violation of treaty, extensive commerical hunting of whales under the cloak of scientific sample taking.
+1

I admire what these guys are trying to do and the spirit and effort...but they really are moronic sometimes. I mean, they manage to louse up the easiest things; it's quite sad.

The Japanese whalers, however...geezus...pure evil.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
So, since the Japanese love eating whale meat, are you saying we should let them wipe out all whales, even the endangered ones, because it's their culture?
Yeah, let's also let them rape, pillage, and enslave the Chinese...that's also their culture...

Old 07-11-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
What the Japanese are doing is legal, and these guys are basically pirates. .

Actually, it's not. Look up the whaling convention verbage (1946 and 86). They are trying to 'loophole' the arrangement and are just lying about what they are doing.

The other problem is that there are no provisions for violations.

That being said, the Sea Shepards...what a bunch of incompetents!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV